spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Don Juane
join:2001-12-19
Anguilla

Don Juane

Can we formally protest posting rules?

Just because a modem is 2 years old and a router might be 3, and a post came forward about those two about 14 months ago - why must this be the only forum on the Internet I can find that chooses to lock up posts about topics that are still totally relevant yet some administrator has implemented a halt to anything over a few months old? What purpose does this serve? What is the benefit that I am missing? Trying to use Broadband reports is extremely frustrating. Why does one have to open a new topic, set up the dialog again, loose auto notifications set up by all the old players and experts, and simply hope they will all happen upon the topic again? Is ASCI word data-space here really that tight? If you were running a big sports forums with questions like "who won the game last night", then maybe lock it out after a while. But electronics in general tend to work for a long time, get resold and re-purposed every day and the same questions about them remain relevant for their entire lifetime, and that's quite a bit longer than where the administrators have set this "frustration ticker" to stop us. Where can people protest? Why not let the users of this forum decide if they want a new topic or post to the old one? Why police it and add to the frustration? What are the rewards? Who is really happy? I think the intelligence of this community is high enough that we can make those types of decisions and if not, certainly it is such that we can take our own chances without the heavy hand of the post-blocking date restriction. Where can we protest and who can we contact?
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

I guess you could contact the moderator. click on his avatar to the left of the search box up top on the forum home page and send him an IM
DS1192
join:2010-07-16
La Crosse, WI

DS1192 to Don Juane

to Don Juane
I agree, there have been multiple times where I go back to an old thread to provide updates or additional info. The context is already there, but thread is locked, thus I make another and link the old one. Kind of makes more of a mess, and having two threads on the same topic by the same person isn't ideal.
Don Juane
Anguilla

Don Juane

Exactly and justification, I believe in itself. You are right, there are a lot of people who post here who have been in the industry a very long time and we realize that these posts are often the only source of information on a particular topic. And like Dexter says (thankfully he is the 1992 one and not the most recent!), we as a community often feel obligated to keep information correct, or we should at least. And with that thought, leaving a thread with a bogus post of misinformation at the end that is locked and cannot be corrected is certainly a greater disservice than any benefit that can be gained from locking it. The Internet is teaming with a lot and rapidly filling with more misinformation - can we open these posts for a longer period of time to help prevent that? What if Wikipedia closed after an arbitrary time or number of updates?

fred_8765765
@spcsdns.net

fred_8765765 to Don Juane

Anon

to Don Juane
yeah, they did this on another forum i go to recently (Wilders Security) and it makes no sense to me either. so instead of one thread about a relatively minor topic you'll have to wade thru several (or maybe dozens over the years) and cross-linking here and there, what a waste of time. and over there i think the time limit for a thread is only 6 months.
DS1192
La Crosse, WI

DS1192 to Don Juane

to Don Juane
said by Don Juane:

(thankfully he is the 1992 one and not the most recent!)

I take it there is another user writing misinformation?
Don Juane
Anguilla

Don Juane

No, a bad joke about a popular series on Showtime
DS1192
La Crosse, WI

DS1192

Oh haha, I should be used to that by now I guess.