spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mardunba
join:2002-01-05
Taylorsville, NC

mardunba

Mifi 4620LE to Pantech UML290

In another thread I said I was going to try to resolve the disconnect issues of my MiFi 4620LE by switching to a UML290.

I got a used UML290 on ebay cheap and in good condition. Also ordered an antenna adapter and SIM card adapter.

Got an hour or so to play around with the UML290 and failed miserably. I installed the correct VZAccess on a test PC, removed the SIM from the MiFi, put it in the SIM adapter and installed in the UML290 and connected to the antenna with the new adapter.

After inserting the UML290, VZAccess installed drivers and eventually detected the device. Tried to connect to WWAN and it would connect for a second or two and then disconnect. I tried this many times. I rebooted and tried again. No help. Tried setting the modem to LTE+GSM instead of Global. No help. Looked at the session log and it didn't show anything but a bunch of connects/disconnects. No helpful information.

Is there something more I need to do to get this running? Is Verizon shutting me down because the SIM is in a different device? I moved the SIM back to the MiFi and am back online, but I'm not sure what to try next.
mtncat
join:2003-12-05
Elizabethton, TN

mtncat

Sorry for your troubles.

The only issue that I've had using a SIM in the UML290 is putting it in backwards which obviously didn't work until I put it in properly.

I suppose you could register the phone number on VZW while the SIM is in the 4620, so you could read the verification text. Afterwards, switch the SIM to the UML290 and see if it is registering the device on VZW. If it is registering, I haven't a clue what else could be wrong, other than a faulty device. If it is not registering it, I'd imagine something is wrong with the SIM making contact, or again, a faulty device.

Best of luck!

mjdaniel
@myvzw.com

mjdaniel to mardunba

Anon

to mardunba
After I moved the SIM card to the UML290, plugged it into my laptop to run VZAcess Manager, my connection did not last long either, but not sure if it was 30 seconds or a minute, but it disconnected after the driver installation and initialization. Since I was going to run with the UML290 in a router, I didn't persue the issue, and as I said in the other post, it is very stable.
cdrlawn
join:2013-04-29
Ivor, VA

cdrlawn to mardunba

to mardunba
Where can I purchase the sim card adaptor.
licklog
join:2006-06-14
Sevierville, TN

licklog

This is the one I used »www.amazon.com/dp/B005EV ··· ST1_dp_1 but there are many suppliers out there. You could do a search on here or evdoforums.com for suggestions.
cdrlawn
join:2013-04-29
Ivor, VA

cdrlawn to mardunba

to mardunba
Thank you.
mardunba
Taylorsville, NC

mardunba

This morning, I had some more time to fool with this. I tried a different (old) laptop and was able to get a connection and maintain it. I've now set that laptop up on my network with internet sharing of the UML290 connection. We'll see how it goes (fingers crossed).
mardunba

mardunba to cdrlawn

to cdrlawn
I got mine from this place as recommended in another SIM swapping thread. It ships from Austria and takes about a week to arrive. Seems to be good quality, but I don't have anything to compare to.

microsim-shop.com/microsim.html

mjdaniel
@myvzw.com

mjdaniel

Anon

T-Mobile stores also carry it. It is a good idea to call first. This is the one I used and it worked fine.
mardunba
Taylorsville, NC

mardunba

After a week using the UML290, I have found the connection is no more stable than with the 4620. So, in my case, the issues don't seem to be caused by the 4620. My working theory right now is that my signal is weak enough that the connection cannot be maintained consistently. I am now considering getting a Wilson directional panel antenna. I don't have line of sight to the cell tower, so my understanding is that a YAGI would not work well.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

what is your RSRP and SINR now?
mardunba
Taylorsville, NC

mardunba

The diagnostics screen of VZAccess shows:
RSSI (4G LTE): -81 dBm
LTE SINR: 7.6 dB

I don't see anything called RSRP on the diagnostics screen or in field test.
mardunba

mardunba to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
What do you think of my signal, Jim? Bad?
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

your RSSI is good but that SINR needs to be higher. You have a lot of noise/interference in the signal
mardunba
Taylorsville, NC

mardunba

Do you think a Wilson panel antenna would be my best bet?
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

do you know where the tower is?
mardunba
Taylorsville, NC

mardunba

No. Web sites show a couple, in opposite directions and neither very close. I'm in foothills with larger hills on all sides, definitely no line of site to a tower.