spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bgraham2
join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

bgraham2

Anyone bought aftermarket headlights from Rockauto

I have a 2003 Buick Century that I bought used in 2005. It appears the left headlamp was replaced with an aftermarket unit before I bought it. The left headlamp has frosted over, while the right OEM headlamp is still perfect.

I am looking to replace the left headlamp which is really useless.

Rockauto has them for $45 or so and I wondered if it was better to get the OEM for $130.

Edit: The frosting is so bad that even 600 grit and body compound wont remove it. The frosting is through the entire plastic lens.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

Other options to get OEM headligts is to get one from a junkyard (pullapart) or ebay.

I got tail lights for my Mustang. A replacement lens was $70 from the dealer. I got the entire OEM assembly (used) for $30 off ebay. Better than the cheap replacements.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to bgraham2

Premium Member

to bgraham2
I replaced both headlight assemblies on my 2003 Tacoma DoubleCab and the aftermarket lights look like OEM on the outside but the light pattern is a bit different than the OEM.
When I replaced the halogen bulbs with Sylvania Extended Life, the pattern changed again. (for the better)
The new ones are three years old now, still no frosting of the lenses.

FrostyRam
@rr.com

FrostyRam to bgraham2

Anon

to bgraham2
Just a note on frosting. My Dodge Ram resisted cleaning until I noticed the frosting was on the inside of the sealed units. $100. for both direct replacements from Amazon. Identical to OEM.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater to bgraham2

MVM

to bgraham2
I got a pair of TYC ones for my 1999 camaro from rock auto, they even came with light bulbs. They look just like OEM and work great and are holding up good after 3 years.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by Napsterbater:

I got a pair of TYC ones...

I think that's the same brand I got for my '99 Accord. I compared the aftermarket one with the OEM one that I pulled off the car and I have no doubt that either a) they were the OEM for Honda or b) they bought the tooling. They matched down to the most minute detail.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to bgraham2

Premium Member

to bgraham2
TYC is good, got some of those for my Ranger

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to bgraham2

MVM

to bgraham2
It is a 2003 in NY state.
I will often advocate OEM, but in this case I wouldn't bother.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to Napsterbater

Premium Member

to Napsterbater
said by Napsterbater:

I got a pair of TYC ones for my 1999 camaro from rock auto, they even came with light bulbs. They look just like OEM and work great and are holding up good after 3 years.

um GM headlights are made by "autosystems"

if you do buy OEM or aftermarket make sure the wire harness connector is compatible i.e same year

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05
united state
·Charter

Rungel to bgraham2

Premium Member

to bgraham2
I bought headlights for my 2004 accord coupe here »www.protuninglab.com/20h ··· rhe.html and they worked great.. fit right in.. actually looked better than OEM. I see they've gone up in price a little