MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

1 recommendation

jvmorris to DownTheShore

MVM

to DownTheShore

Re: Texas peace officer fatally shoot by suspect

It's a term I find used more in small, laid-back communities where the emphasis is more on the "serve" than on the "protect" aspects of law enforcement -- places where the officers are more inclined to mediate conflicts between residents than try to recall what statutes to arrest someone under.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

That's odd: it connotes the opposite in my mind, likely because it replaces a common and understood term by something that sounds a little more lofty while disguising the true nature. I am naturally suspicious of that sort of thing.

Additionally, it has some sort of Orwellian tone to it. Officers of the Ministry of Peace.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

1 edit

jvmorris

MVM

Hence demonstrating how the original meaning of a word or phrase can be completely reversed over time.

(Or perhaps, I should say useage or perception?)
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to dave

Premium Member

to dave
I'm sorry to be repetitive, but you are using a connotation based on your home state. Maybe you've only lived in one, I don't know.

I've lived in several states, and things can be different, especially in the south and southwest. And most especially in Texas.

In Texas, a state-issued Peace Officer certification is above and beyond a regular police officer, worthy of extra pay:

Police Officers who have a Master Peace Officer Certification will receive the following additional pay incentive.

Master Peace Officer Certification $90 per month ($1,080 annually)

»www.roundrocktexas.gov/h ··· page=786

-----

More broadly:

Years ago when I lived in the neighboring Virginia cities of Norfolk and Portsmouth, the people in one city said "hot dog" and in the other city said "frankfurter", and this was a big deal to them.

You can't assume that your use of language is the same as someone else's especially in a different place.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to jvmorris

Premium Member

to jvmorris
That must be it then. It's definitely more "protect" than "serve" around here, given our population density.