spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Geek_Guy
@cgocable.net

Geek_Guy

Anon

[INTERNET] Overuse of Internet

Hello, I am trying to do some research for my dad because cogeco told him we have issues with our internet. we noticed that after 9 days of using our internet this month we have used 85% of 125gb's of our internet.

The internet is secured by wpa2 encryption and everything has been set up by me (I have been working in computer retail for over 9 years and have some tech work). There is gaming on the computer, but 10 hours is not enough to do 60gb's over three days. Also, the password is only available and has only been given to the members in the house.

On that note, the computers have also been checked for viruses by multiple virus programs. It has also been checked for malware specifically. There has barely been any downloading; 1 movie, about 30 minutes to an hour of streaming, 10 hours in xbox live game play and obvious email and internet use (unknown about the amount of hours because its obviously used the most). The computers have downloaded a total 16gb in the past 14 days (starting Oct. 9, 2013). Is it me/am I losing my mind because I've done more than this in a month (as in gamed over 50 hours) and I don't understand how this has happened.
ancodia
join:2006-07-10
canada

ancodia

See if your router can track daily usage. If not,try installing tomato/dd-wrt on your router - this will then confirm that you are using what Cogeco says you are.

If the numbers are legit then you need to figure out the source internally - not sure about dd-wrt but with tomato you can track individual client usage.

If the numbers are wrong you are probably victim of a cloned MAC address on your modem. Go switch it out for a new one.

CogeNo
@teksavvy.com

3 recommendations

CogeNo

Anon

I doubt you'll hear any official response from Cogeco, or from their support here on DSLR.

Your Modem MAC has likely been 'cloned'. Best bet, as was mentioned by previous poster, is to get your Modem replaced at the Cogeco store.

This is simply one of Cogeco's 'dirty little secrets', that they would rather no-one knew about. Thus the limited response you'll receive from any support on here regarding the issue.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Geek_Guy

Premium Member

to Geek_Guy
You didn't say what direction the bandwidth has accumulated...
geek_guy
join:2013-10-11

geek_guy

It is mostly download, but, the upload usage was very high as well. one day it was 20gb download and 4gb upload

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by geek_guy:

20gb download and 4gb upload

That looks like bittorrent-style usage.

1. Your MAC has been cloned and you're paying for someone else's usage
2. Someone in your household isn't being totally up front about their online activities
3. Both of the above

For sure, just to eliminate the cloned-MAC issue, swap your modem out at the Cogeco store. Brace yourself for a big Cogeco bill.

Have a town-hall with your fellow dwellers and a'splain it to them.

Consider switching your internet to a TPIA provider, like Start or someone else, which comes with much higher caps and usually lower prices. That way you get a new modem out of the deal too.

Mike
Expand your moderator at work

noob
@cgocable.net

noob to CogeNo

Anon

to CogeNo

Re: [INTERNET] Overuse of Internet

said by CogeNo :

I doubt you'll hear any official response from Cogeco, or from their support here on DSLR.

Your Modem MAC has likely been 'cloned'. Best bet, as was mentioned by previous poster, is to get your Modem replaced at the Cogeco store.

This is simply one of Cogeco's 'dirty little secrets', that they would rather no-one knew about. Thus the limited response you'll receive from any support on here regarding the issue.

Maybe that's what I had? I was going over my 80G limit, upgraded my plan to 150G (which required a new modem), now I download more and don't even go near the 80G I used to have.