pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

[iPhone] IOS7 - Phone shuts off when low battery at ~15-20%

Not sure why this is happening. I'll receive the "20% Battery Left" notification and dismiss it. Following that, the phone dies out anywhere between 10-20%.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

I have the 16GB Black iPhone 5. I charge my phone every night once I get to bed.

Any tips/clues/help is greatly appreciated.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:5

said by pr1mo:

Not sure why this is happening. I'll receive the "20% Battery Left" notification and dismiss it. Following that, the phone dies out anywhere between 10-20%.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

I have the 16GB Black iPhone 5. I charge my phone every night once I get to bed.

Any tips/clues/help is greatly appreciated.

Mine does not do that.. Does it do this every time?
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

I rarely get my phone down to that low % of battery left for usage. However, the 2 or 3 times I've done so in the past few weeks, it's automatically shut off without getting to 0%.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to pr1mo

two possibilities here:

1. The battery calibration is off and it's actually at zero when it thinks it's at 20%
2. One of the battery cells is totally dead but the phone doesn't know it, so when it tries to draw from it there is no energy to power the phone.
3. There is a bug in iOS 7.

I had #2 happen to me with a Macbook battery once. Apple found it defective and replaced it for me.

#3 was happening to me in earlier iOS 7 betas. My iPhone 4 kept powering off inconveniently, but it was fixed by beta 5 or so.

I think #1 is an unlikely possibility. 0% battery is a special case where it's totally empty, and the phone should know where that is. It's like you looking into a bucket of water--you'd know when it's 100% full, and you'd know when it's empty, but you might guess it's half full when it's actually 40%. That's the type of battery calibration error I normally see-reading 50% instead of 40%.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to pr1mo

This happened to me as well the other day. It reported my battery life at about 16%, and a minute or so later, it was dead. When I plugged it in, it came to life with 10% left, so I'm not sure what was up with that.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

said by Rob:

This happened to me as well the other day. It reported my battery life at about 16%, and a minute or so later, it was dead. When I plugged it in, it came to life with 10% left, so I'm not sure what was up with that.

Yeah it's quite annoying when it runs low from usage and I'm not near my home or car to charge. Usually I'll just not use it when it's that low so I can go ahead and have the remaining power in case of emergency or something, but meh. Started doing it after iOS7 was implemented.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY
reply to Rob

same here once or twice.

odd thing is if you wait a few min and try turning it back on, it will return with 5-20%

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to pr1mo

Last night as I was leaving class, the phone was at 16% but did not shut off. I got home and plugged it in to charge, and it jumped to 29%.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

said by pr1mo:

Last night as I was leaving class, the phone was at 16% but did not shut off. I got home and plugged it in to charge, and it jumped to 29%.

Mine just did it again. It reports "Battery Life at 20%" and then a second later, shuts off.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Jballivor

@213.233.132.x
reply to SuperNet9

Hi, the same happened to me on iphone 5,contacted apple support today and they were able to diagnose my phone over the air, my battery is knackered, they are sending out a new phone in 24-48 hours to swap out, my guess is same with you?

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to pr1mo

I haven't asked Apple about it because I don't have any warranty on the phone. I've had the phone since September 2012 though. I'm not sure if contacting them would be worth it. Would they give me a new phone? For a price most likely, but how much?

Dexterrr

@d1-online.com
reply to chlen

Have exactly the Same behavior!

JRB

@rr.com

I have the same problem all the time, since iOS 7. Anyone have a solution.

simiglen

join:2001-04-30
Simi Valley, CA
reply to pr1mo

If you paid by credit card most likely your warranty got doubled. I can do this with my AMEX and MC.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
reply to pr1mo

This just happened on my 4S. Forgot to plug in overnight. Looked at phone this morning and it was 23%. Half way through reviewing my email the phone just shut down, no low battery warning at all. A restart asked me to plug my phone in.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

iamtig

@172.242.109.x

Jumping in because I am having the same issue, looking for resolution.

JUNEBUG

@spcsdns.net

This happened to me AGAIN tonight on my iphone5 running IOS 7.0.2 at 52%!!!. I'm CONVINCED it's an IOS7 bug because this never happened to me on this same phone before I upgraded my IOS last month.

I had 100% battery before I left the hotel for a run around Seattle at 4:30pm w/ ONLY 2 APPS OPEN: Spotify (not streaming data, just downloaded songs) and MapMyRun...so by 5:45 or so my battery was at 60% when I checked it.... 5 minutes later it died. Couldn't power it back up.

Got back to hotel...plugged it in and when it powered up the battery showed 52%!! WTF? My 9 mile run "recording" via mapmyrun got cut off at 5.9 miles. That doesn't piss me off as much as the fact that a $700 phone can possibly do this. So PISSED.

I just updated to IOS 7.0.3 now, maybe that will resolve it, but the details of this IOS update didn't mention any type of battery fix so I'm not too hopeful.

My suggestion (what I'm going to try to do ASAP) is to get the IOS6 back on my phone so this never happens again.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by JUNEBUG :

I just updated to IOS 7.0.3 now, maybe that will resolve it, but the details of this IOS update didn't mention any type of battery fix so I'm not too hopeful.

I'm at 7.0.3 and still have this problem.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Keefer21

join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY
reply to pr1mo

On my 4S i have noticed that if im running an app that's hard on the battery it will do this. Like GPS or Netflix or TWC TV. 10-16 Perfect it turns off. If im not running any heavy app's it will go right down to Zero no problems.

Im still running 7.0.2.

Keefer21

join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY
reply to JUNEBUG

said by JUNEBUG :

My suggestion (what I'm going to try to do ASAP) is to get the IOS6 back on my phone so this never happens again.

Good luck, apple has long since stopped signing any iOS 6 version its to late to go back.

Have you turned off background app refresh or Stupid paralax or w/e its called features. Once i turned off that crap my battery consumption is back to normal.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

It's not battery consumption that's the issue, it's the phone turning off when it reports a fair charge still left. I could see it if you were at a very low charge and an intensive app was running but we are talking 20%+ left. Perhaps the calibration software is off. Who knows but so far no Apple acknowledgement.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

JUNEBUG

@204.147.221.x

exactly, it's not about battery consumption (although yes the new ios definitely does die faster, takes more batter life to do all the "pretty" new transitions etc...)

I read that you can't downgrade/install a previous IOS as it won't be signed by apple so I guess that's not an option...
but has anyone tried restoring from a previous backup in itunes? Wouldn't a restore from 2 months ago have the old IOS on it prior to my upgrading? I'm going to try that tonight after work, making sure beforehand that all my new contacts, etc get up to the cloud that I might have accumulated over the past 2 months.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

said by JUNEBUG :

exactly, it's not about battery consumption (although yes the new ios definitely does die faster, takes more batter life to do all the "pretty" new transitions etc...)

I read that you can't downgrade/install a previous IOS as it won't be signed by apple so I guess that's not an option...
but has anyone tried restoring from a previous backup in itunes? Wouldn't a restore from 2 months ago have the old IOS on it prior to my upgrading? I'm going to try that tonight after work, making sure beforehand that all my new contacts, etc get up to the cloud that I might have accumulated over the past 2 months.

The OS is not stored in a backup. Personal backups and system software are independent items.

When you perform a software restore, it downloads the latest version of iOS from Apple and installs it, then restores your backup on top of that.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

TDot

@teksavvy.com
reply to JUNEBUG

Have been having exactly the same seemingly random shutdowns since installing iOS 7. Have updated to each new release hoping that Apple has fixed this...
The only thing I've been able to do is go to Settings and turn Cell Data off, do a full reboot, go to settings, turn Cell Data on, do a full reboot. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.
I wish Apple would acknowledge the issue and get it fixed. It's THEIR iOS7 that's causing it.

reply to pr1mo

This keeps happening to me, except it happens at any point. It happened to me today whilst it was at 63%. But a vast majority of times it is between the 10%-20% mark.
It must be the software, as it started happening the day after I upgraded to iOS 7.

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

Yup, usually happens between 10-20% but like you, I've had it happen at much higher levels. I guess all we can do it wait for Apple to respond to this. Not sure why this hasn't been fixed since the day of iOS 7 release.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to pr1mo

Back when I had this issue with one of the iOS 7 betas, it seemed as though the issue was related to changing networks/towers.

For the problem to be happening as high as 52% battery indicates it's not a defective battery. The problem must be software related.

Have any of you noticed a connection between signal dropping/tower switching and the phone powering off?

The problem abated when I did a restore, and then went away entirely around beta 5 or 6.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by Daemon:

Back when I had this issue with one of the iOS 7 betas, it seemed as though the issue was related to changing networks/towers.

For the problem to be happening as high as 52% battery indicates it's not a defective battery. The problem must be software related.

Have any of you noticed a connection between signal dropping/tower switching and the phone powering off?

The problem abated when I did a restore, and then went away entirely around beta 5 or 6.

Mine happens while at home.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

antjp

@t-mobile.co.uk

Hi guys. I have a 4s switching off between 26% - 10%. been doing it for a week. especially with cold outside use. Im not talking below freezing but 10*c. I contacted my tmobile customer service today who put me through to apple customer service. They told me to restore my phone to factory settings which i have done just. I have 24 hours to get back in touch if the problem persists. time will tell

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to pr1mo

It has to be the software reading the calibration incorrectly or the calibration itself is off. Mine shut off again at 17% the other day. I plugged it in as it forced me to and it immediately read 18%.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo