spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DS1192
join:2010-07-16
La Crosse, WI

DS1192

eHRPD Information

My U770 reports my 3G technology as being HRPD, however when my tower went down or was having issues I noticed that I was picking up a faint signal and reporting the technology being eHRPD. So I did some researching and found a very informative post about eHRPD, on the S4GRU forums: Here is what user "S4GRU Administrator" has to say:

"
In all seriousness, here is a comprehensive understanding of eHRPD:

For the most part, eHRPD is EVDO-A. Both are 3G CDMA technology. EVDO is a High Rate Packet Data technology, and eHRPD is Evolved High Rate Packet Data. It is essentially the same exact technology, except eHRPD data is routed through the LTE core instead of the MSC (switch) so it can maintain the same IP address as LTE. This allows for data hand offs between LTE and 3G. Only LTE devices are capable of eHRPD connections.

eHRPD and EVDO-A are broadcast from the same tower on the same channel using the same technology and the same backhaul. It is one signal, not two different signals. However, if your device is in CDMA only mode (or you have a non-LTE device), your data from your device goes from the site through backhaul to a Sprint MSC switching center is processed and dumped out onto the internet backbone.

If your device is in CDMA/LTE mode and your site has been upgraded to eHRPD, when your device data gets to the site, it goes through the backhaul to a 4G LTE core instead of the MSC. There it is processed and dumped out onto the internet backbone.

So, the only difference in performance between eHRPD and EVDO-A on the same site occurs at the MSC vs. the LTE core. Everything else is pretty much identical between the two. Each site in the Sprint network is tied to a very specific MSC for 1x voice and EVDO data. Sprint has dozens of MSC's scattered around the country. When that MSC experiences problems or has a logjam, it affects all the sites connected to it. And EVDO can slow down (although this is not the big culprit in Sprint 3G deterioration).

In contrast to how the MSC's handle 1x and 3G EVDO data, 3G eHRPD and 4G LTE data are processed through 4G cores. Unlike MSC, sites are not limited to only one core. Sprint is setting up their 4G LTE cores to be dynamic. So if one core is too busy, data can be routed to a different under burdened core.

Performance between EVDO-A and eHRPD should be very similar when on the same channel from the same exact site. The most common difference is that eHRPD will often have faster ping times. And a MSC is more likely to bottleneck than an LTE core, so at peak times EVDO may be slightly slower than eHRPD (when all things are the same).
"
Source - »s4gru.com/index.php?/top ··· s-ehrpd/

For the basic run down, EVDO is run through a 4G Core with eHRPD, and this is a bit faster, and can decrease ping times. Also, this means 4G Cores have been added in my area, and must mean 4G is on its way.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

that is my experience. Sprint upgraded the towers with NV around here , though they have not turned on LTE as yet, the ping and speed on 3G is significantly superior to what is was before. Videos have no buffering at all. A dramatic improvement.
DS1192
La Crosse, WI

DS1192

Interesting, I noticed Jack's ping has greatly improved as well, I wonder if he has also been changed over to eHRPD. This is good news as real-time applications like streaming, gaming, VoIP will be much better. And that seems to be the case.
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

1 edit

criggs

For what it's worth, I'm in Manhattan, zip 10022. The upgrade hit us in March. Prior to that time I had spectacular WiMax (D/L 8mbps U/L 1.5mbps) and spec 3G (D/L 600kbps U/L 350kbps).

Since March, most of the time, I have barely spec WiMax (D/L 3mbps U/L 1mbps. though this past Monday and Tuesday it was at least in spec but unfortunately no more), miserable 3G (D/L 300kbps U/L 200kbps) and upside-down LTE (D/L 1.5mbps U/L 4mbps). My connection has never been as unreliable, unpredictable and undependable. I continue to hope that this is all merely a temporary side-effect of the upgrade, but putting up with this for seven months is no fun, let me tell you.

By the way, the Sprint coverage map at »coverage.sprint.com/IMPA ··· ge%20map states that I should be getting "Fair" LTE at my address. I called Sprint to ask what the minimum specs for "Fair" LTE were. They told me it should be D/L 4mbps U/L 1mbps. So something is definitely screwy.
IowaMudRider
join:2013-09-12
Montrose, IA

IowaMudRider to DS1192

to DS1192
i guess my u770 is kind of buggy, when im not connected to the sprint network it lists the technology type as "ehrpd" but when i connect it switches back to "hrpd" its coming from the same tower since the signal strength is the same too...

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Mine is HRPD also. What makes you think something is wrong with it?
DS1192
La Crosse, WI

DS1192 to IowaMudRider

to IowaMudRider
That's what mine was doing a a week ago, when it wasn't connected I would see eHRPD, then when it's connected it's HRPD. It could be something of the technology is there, but not being used. Or a glitch like you say but idk.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

1 edit

compuguybna to DS1192

to DS1192
Click for full size
LTE device.....on 3G.

sorta like a GSM device (AT*T) showing HSPA/HSPAP/HSPA+