spc
Search similar:

uniqs
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

[Praise] Talking to the Federal Government

Well, our Grandfather passed away 2 days ago and we started to call the VA Insurance Office(Navy $5000 Life Insurance) and Social Security for my Grandmother. I thought because the Federal Government was "shutdown" we would have bad attitudes and long wait times. Boy, was I wrong.
When we called the VA Life Insurance Office, they offered their condolences and told use the whole process, what we need to send them and where and how long it would take to get the $5000. About a 3 minute wait time.
Social Security, the guy was the nicest guy ever. He also offered his condolences and also told us everything we needed to know, and told my Grandmother the exact amount of what she would get and when. The best thing about it, no wait time. 1 ring and we got him.
I sincerely thank these employees who are extremely nice and patient with all of us.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Just remember they probably aren't getting a paycheck.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Not True, if they aren't getting paid they are not allowed to be at work!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Msradell:

said by Krisnatharok:

Not true.

If they are at work right now during the shutdown, they are working, but won't get paid until Congress passes a budget. Meanwhile, bills continue to come in.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Msradell:

said by Krisnatharok:

Not true.

If they are at work right now during the shutdown, they are working, but won't get paid until Congress passes a budget. Meanwhile, bills continue to come in.

This is not entirely true either. Many of the federal employees working hold critical positions, so they are being paid as we speak.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Robert:

so they are being paid as we speak.

Hahahaha. That's funny you believe that, because it's entirely wrong.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Robert:

They are being paid from the same pool that Congress and Senators and others are being paid from.

I don't understand why you would think otherwise.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Robert:

They are being paid from the same pool that Congress and Senators and others are being paid from.

I don't understand why you would think otherwise.

Source?

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

I don't have a source, except for first hand knowledge of the situation.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Same here, as an exempt employee not receiving a paycheck.

What's your trump card?

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

1 recommendation

linicx

Premium Member

The trump? Congress should not be paid one cent, nor should they receive back pay as long as the government is shut down.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Robert:

Sorry my daughter works for the federal government. She was off 31/2 days week before. She went back to work last Monday and she is getting paid now not later.
Expand your moderator at work

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to linicx

Premium Member

to linicx

Re: [Praise] Talking to the Federal Government

said by linicx:

The trump? Congress should not be paid one cent, nor should they receive back pay as long as the government is shut down.

No quibbles there. It's ridiculous that they continue drawing their paycheck when the rest of government workers do not.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
What agency does she work for? It's possible her agency draws payroll from multi-year accounts not directly dependent on Congressional appropriations. But as I said earlier, the vast majority of employees are not being paid until Congress passes and the President signs a CR or budget.

Generally, federal employees are receiving a paycheck (as early as Friday) for the first week of the pay period (Sep 22-30), but will not be paid for Oct 1 - 5. Those that are furloughed (sitting at home) are being furloughed without pay (unless federal law is changed), and those that are working, won't receive backpay until the shutdown ends.

»www.usa.gov/shutdown.shtml (last two bullets)

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

She works for non of the listed jobs. She works at the Army hospital and is in charge of paying the doctors.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert to linicx

Premium Member

to linicx
said by linicx:

Personally, given that the government is shut down, they are no longer our officially elected representatives. As soon as the government opens up again, elections should be immediately held.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
Oh the irony of it all. Excuse me for giggling; it is not the facts that are funny as it is the way it was presented. It tickled my funny bone. Thanks for the smile.
linicx

linicx to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
I think it is a terrific idea that will take about another 12 months to do.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Robert

to Robert
It depends on the agency and how much money they have squirreled away.
BoulderHill1
join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

BoulderHill1 to Msradell

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

NOT TRUE.
Many federal employees are still required to be at work, regardless of shutdown. My close friend is a federal air marshall out of O'Hare. His department was told they must be at work and no vacation or other personal days can be used until the shutdown is over.
If they miss even one hour of work they risk losing any pay they will get when it's over or may be subject to termination.

Seems kind of silly to me that while the shutdown is on they won't get paid but once it is over they will get paid for this time anyway. What is the point? If they do not lose any pay then what does the shutdown achieve?
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

...and those that are working, won't receive backpay until the shutdown ends.

Those that work for the Department of Defense and were recalled from the furlough, or who were excepted from the furlough, will be paid on time based on the Pay Our Military Act.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Secyurityet:

said by Krisnatharok:

...and those that are working, won't receive backpay until the shutdown ends.

Those that work for the Department of Defense and were recalled from the furlough, or who were excepted from the furlough, will be paid on time based on the Pay Our Military Act.

That is just DOD + USCG.

Interesting infographic: »labs.enigma.io/shutdown2013/

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
Good for her. My wife has not been at work since this started.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to billydunwood

to billydunwood
There are some "essential" employees that are being required to work, yet will not get paid till the shutdown ends, such as US Park Police and NPS rangers. Others it varies department and agency, and while on half could be furloughed the others could be working w/o pay.

Unrelated, if congress REALY wanted to show how in touch they were with their constituents any shutdown should affect their pay first (motivator to get a deal done) vs those below them. The fact that they ensured they and their staffers are getting paid OVER those who put the BS they enact in motion truly shows how out of line their compass is. Rather then showboating at memorials and further dividing the country (ever notice how those hate President Obama are always white), they should of said "I'll be mailing my paycheck to the US Treasury to pay down the debt, and will keep doing so until we reach a deal to restore all government services.

But alas when you have the power to control our own pay and ruin lives of those your elected to service, I guess its just too tempting to look out for number 1 (themselves).
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42 to billydunwood

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

I sincerely thank these employees who are extremely nice and patient with all of us.

Based on my personal experience, the past few years, Federal gov't and NY State/City employees have shown drastic improvement. Heck, even IRS has impressed me. NY Dept of Vehicle clerks were all smile. So I am not surprised that you had a good experience. Now the worst government employees I've encountered the past few years are in NJ - mostly rude and seem to expect a bribe.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet

Premium Member

said by hchen42:

NJ - mostly rude and seem to expect a bribe.

Sounds like that's becoming a "best practice"...
»www.washingtonpost.com/l ··· ory.html

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
Your experience matches every experience I've had with the Federal Government agencies. Helpful people who bent over backwards to help me.
Most recent experience was I needed a passport immediately to travel internationally on zero notice. I went directly to a Passport Agency. They used have 12 or so of them in the USA. Now I think there's about 20. They were extremely helpful and understanding. I had it in 6 hours.