spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bcosell
join:2005-12-10
Pearisburg, VA

bcosell

How fast your allowance builds up

I thought I'd share: I've been using my 7000S on the Pro+ plan a fair bit lately and so I've been running low on my allowance occasionally [as I type this I'm at 43% which is about where it floats]. Anyhow, I got to wondering: how fast does my allowance build back up. I tried emailing support and even got two phone calls to tech support asking that simple question: how fast, in 50/min or whatever units, does my allowance recover.

Anyhow, I figured out that I can easily *measure* it. I recorded my allowance at the stroke of an hour. Then went a couple of hours and checked it again at the stroke of a later hour [4hrs, in my case]. Then a few hours later, when their DB was updated, I went online and checked my usage. What I found was that in the 4 hrs I had lost 6 megs in my available allowance, and their online-usage table told me that I'd downloaded 81 megs in that same interval.

So 75 megs got put into my allowance over that interval and that works out to be about 5Kb/sec. So the overall recovery rate is about the speed of a 50Kb modem.

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

The 7000 plans refill at the rate of 1/19th of your daily allowance. There is no refill during the free zone hours.
My proplus is 475mb per day. Others vary depending on when you started.
bcosell
Pearisburg, VA

bcosell

I guess I don't fully understand. when you say "1/19"th do you mean per day? So if I were at near-zero [as I was the other day] it'd take 19days for me to build back up to 100%? That's not right.

For me it looks like I'm refilling at about 1/40th *per*hour*. My max is 700megs. I measured 18.75 megs of refill per hour in my test, and that'd be a little over 350 megs a day, so I'd fully-recharge in two days if I didn't use my system at all.

But I think that your number is probably right; when I called HN to ask about this, they said my plan was 300 or 350 [don't remember] MB/day, when it is in fact 700 mb/day. So I might well be refilling at the 350mb rate.

And that makes it very easy: if you're X% down, it'll take X% of a day of not using it at all [non-fap-free time only considered] to fully recharge. And in my case, with, I guess, my anomalous double-allocation, it'll take me 2X% of a day

Thanks for the correction...

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk to bcosell

Premium Member

to bcosell
To check your status and find the amount of your daily allowance open the modems SCC (System Control Center) found by entering 192.168.0.1 in your browsers address bar. Then click on the system Info button on the upper right. From the menu items listed on the left click on Download Allowance Status. How much is listed under Plan Allowance ?
Here is where it can get a little funny. Some 7000 users received what is called a Rollover Bank, others did not.
Different plans had differant daily limits based on what plan you selected and when you started the plan.
I have a ProPlus plan with a rolling 475Mb per 24 hrs. It refills with a constant " refill drip" of 25 Mb per hour (1/19th) of my daily plan allowance. It is dribbled in over 19 hrs rather than 24 because there is no refill during the 6 hour 2AM to 7AM free zone.
Here is were it can get confusing, I am on a sat (91' W.) That got the Rollover Bank. That means that my SCC shows 950 Mb as an allowance (475 x2). The " percent" values are misleading if you have the Rollover because the capacity is really 200% of you daily allowance.
That being the case you would have to not use any data for 48 hours except for the 2 to 7 free time to build up to the full rollover
gwalk

gwalk to bcosell

Premium Member

to bcosell
If your max is 700 then you most likely have 350 Mb per day allowance so you would have an hourly refill rate of 350 divided by 19 with no refill from 2 to 7.
bcosell
Pearisburg, VA

bcosell to gwalk

to gwalk
For me, download allowance status is on the main "home" page [last entry on the bottom left] and for me:

Plan Allowance (Mbytes) 700
Allowance Remaining(Mbytes) 167
Allowance Remaining(%) is shown in green 24%

As you observe, my 'refill drip' _seems_ to be based on allowance of 350megs, and so it takes me 48 hrs to fully "recharge'.

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Information on legacy/grandfathered plans can be found here:

»legal.hughesnet.com/othe ··· lans.cfm