Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton

Re: [Info Needed] DSLAM build location

Caller ID costs nothing. Its built into the software of the digital switch. Literally it takes the switchman 1 second to add the code to the line to allow Caller ID. (This might be automated now and tied into the billing system, I dont know) We did not have Caller ID until we switched to Comcast as VZ wanted another $8 on top of the regional-only POTS line and 3mbit DSL at $60something dollars.

The lack of availability of broadband in 2014 is a disgusting joke - the FCC, the state PUC's, the ILEC's all share the blame.

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Yeah, our bundle isn't Regional Essentials, it's Freedom Essentials.

Anyway, back to the upgrade. How exactly do they upgrade an RT? Especially since it will already have fiber led into it?

wiggie116
Premium Member
join:2013-10-31
Pittsfield, MA
D-Link DSL-2750B
Actiontec GT784WN

1 edit

1 recommendation

wiggie116 to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
I don't know what verizon would do to upgrade the RT. Maybe one day VZ will sell out to another provider who could utilize the fiber that's in place VDSL or pair boding like you said. I should of said at least you have fiber close to your house fed from the CO. Who knows what will happen in the next ten years. I don't think Verizion will reuse fiber for FIOS

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

If Verizon does it right, they won't have to upgrade it in the first place. Assuming they're running Fiber and a new enough DSLAM paired with the right equipment, they really shouldn't have a problem giving everyone out of there 15Mbps. That would be the best, and most ideal situation here. Anything less is IMO, a waste of money.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
VZ probably ordered an ADSL2+ DSLAM. Since the box is pretty big I am going to assume the one they ordered is modular and not stuck with ADSL2+ only.

So, they would order VDSL2 cards and swap out some of the ADSL2+ cards. VZ has not deployed VDSL2 outside of MDU FIOS deployments where they could not get fiber to every unit.

VZ never reuses existing fiber for FIOS even if its totally dark. Its stupid. I have dark fiber in my back yard doing absolutely nothing, put in the ground by Bell Atlantic for the future and now it sits dark.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

1 recommendation

pjsutton

Phone line is currently dead ... here's to hoping they are doing the cut over!

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

2 recommendations

tim_k to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

VZ never reuses existing fiber for FIOS even if its totally dark. Its stupid. I have dark fiber in my back yard doing absolutely nothing, put in the ground by Bell Atlantic for the future and now it sits dark.

they aren't going to use any old plant, that might open them up to line sharing. They built a totally new network for FIOS to avoid having to line share.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

said by pjsutton:

Phone line is currently dead ... here's to hoping they are doing the cut over!

I went out after I wrote this and saw 2 VZ trucks working on different pedestals. I can only imagine this is what they were doing?

The dial tone still sounds the same to me, though.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

They are possibly removing load coils to allow DSL signal to pass. As the plant has been shortened tremendously due to the installation of the RT, the load coils are no longer required.

Bridge Taps also need to be removed where possible to improve quality of service.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Would these be inside the pedestals? Because there aren't poles in this area for stuff to hang on.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to pjsutton

MVM

to pjsutton
Does it seem any louder or more clear?

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

1 recommendation

tim_k to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

They are possibly removing load coils to allow DSL signal to pass. As the plant has been shortened tremendously due to the installation of the RT, the load coils are no longer required.

Bridge Taps also need to be removed where possible to improve quality of service.

For DSL, load coils have to be removed regardless of distance.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to Smith6612

to Smith6612
I'm not sure! Of course I just listened to it repeatedly and now I have no idea whether it sounds different or not. Haha.

Just picked it up again. Maybe it does seem a bit louder?

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton

Yep, they can be in pedestals. Its probably really tight inside of the example. The set of coils above can only handle 25 lines and is meant for ped location.
»www.charlesindustries.co ··· ases.pdf

The direct burial method could have been used with a larger potted set of load coils. The splice would be in the ped.

Hopefully your line pops up in the database as DSL supported soon...sounds like the job is done.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

said by biotech :

said by pjsutton:

Just picked it up again. Maybe it does seem a bit louder?

Indicating that your line is now connected to a Digital Loop Carrier w/DSLAM.

I used it to call my cell phone and the call quality sounded clearer, too. Would that make sense?

And Zenit, I wonder how long it takes the database to update...
ramsaso
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
ARRIS SB6183

ramsaso

Premium Member

said by pjsutton:

and the call quality sounded clearer, too. Would that make sense?

Yes it would since your connection to the PSTN network is now handled from a DLC that is located near your location. (maybe it is connected by fiber to CO?)

Also, try calling a test number such as a milliwatt number to test how clear it is.

Once you get the ability to acquire DSL, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND for you to still keep POTS since all of the wireless carriers (except Tmo) wouldn't dream of improving their coverage and even though VoIP would be a (financial cough) improvement, stay with POTS and your bundle. Use DSLX or Verizon DSL.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Unfortunately VZ has an inane policy where you cant get VZ DSL as a dry loop anymore. If you already have it your grandfathered. CLEC's can still offer dry loop though.

It makes sense that voice quality is a little better as the length of the copper loop has shortened.

What equipment is VZ sending out these days for new DSL customers? Do they still stock the classic Westell 6100? Mine was made in USA and did not fail for years.

wiggie116
Premium Member
Pittsfield, MA

wiggie116

Premium Member

I believe the self install kit comes with a D-Link DSL2750B.

If a tech comes out they usually use the ActionTec 784. Unfortunately, I have not seen anyone get their tranciever statics pulled from the D-Link.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

How could I find a test number?

I hope I get the ActionTec. The D Link one just seems super cheap. My aunt has one, and yeah I don't think there's anyway to get transceiver stats.

wiggie116
Premium Member
Pittsfield, MA
D-Link DSL-2750B
Actiontec GT784WN

wiggie116

Premium Member

Smith gave me some ideas on how to find them but I know very little about gatways. When I first got the D-link I broke the one of the antennas. I spoke with a CSR from VZ and ask if she would send out a GT784WN. The next day another D-Link came next day air. I went out and bought ActionTec from Best Buy. I ended up having battery acid on the line so they sent a tech out to make sure everything was ok after the repair. I asked if he had one I could install. He said no problem. The next day I returned the Actiontec. i like it more then The Ubee I have,

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
I would go with the Westell 6100. Its just a plain modem, so you use your own router. Nothing is hidden from the user - tranciver stats, routing settings, its all there with the stock Westell firmware. VZ used these as standard issue for a very long time. So did AT&T (BellSouth).

VZ pushed out an optional firmware upgrade (more downgrade) that change the UI to the VZ custom one. Bleh. The 90's looking Westell UI was much better - if I recall there is a way to downgrade back to the OEM firmware.

Mine was a 2006 build Rev. C, before Verizon started ordering custom made ones that omitted extra LED's and added a VZ logo on the case. All the revisions after C were made in China unfortunately.

Its very well built - all the components are name brand. The large capacitor is a Nichicon cap from Japan rather than some mystery cap from China/Taiwan.

Looks like the Rev C can be had cheaply - here is a nice set I found:
»www.ebay.com/itm/Working ··· f422a05e

I know someone is going to say its an old modem, but its probably the only ADSL2+ modem that was assembled in the USA. No frills, but it does what a Modem should do and nothing else.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

How do they decide whether you get a self-install kit or a tech visit?
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

In CL areas, you decide. If you're pretty comfortable that your house is wired up in a straightforward manner and are comfortable connecting cables, the self install kit should be fine. In AT&T U-Verse areas, the particular type of install mandates what service you are allowed to get. You can always choose a tech install, but things like pair-bonded VDSL2 installs and any install with TV service must be a tech install. Verizon DSL is probably a bit closer to CL in that aspect, so it'll likely be completely up to you.

If you want an Actiontec GT784WNV you can always buy one online later, although I recommend one of Netgear's gateway devices such as the DGN D3700 (which is the one I have tested out.)

Whether you bridge a "plain modem" (Zoom used to make a pure ADSL2+ bridge) or buy a good gateway sort of depends on your home and what your local network is like. I'm personally using CL's provided gateway, an old Qwest-labeled ActionTec Q1000a and I like it a lot, but it also has 802.11N wireless networking and gigabit Ethernet on it, so my LAN performance is pretty reasonable.

I have a Linksys router on hand, and the bridging in CL's firmware is the most reliable it is on any of the ISP-provided equipment, which is good.

Small one-port gateways (or, as I mentioned, Zoom's ADSL2+ Bridge) are good if you plan on just hooking up your own router anyway, but again that depends on how much you think you need something better than what you can get in an all-in one device. If you have a whole bunch of devices and/or are really frequently throwing giant files around on the wireless network in your home, it makes sense to buy a dedicated router, such as a Netgear Nighthawk.

If you want a one-port gateway, an ActionTec GT701D or Netgear DM111 are probably your best (only) choices unless you really feel like digging up 5-10 year-old modems off eBay or hitting up AT&T's equipment store in order to get a slightly different Netgear or Motorola device.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

I used to have a pretty good Netgear N router from our old house where we had cable, but now it's at my grandparents' house. I also still have a Belkin G router sitting around somewhere, but who wants to use a G router anymore!

As long as the router is an N router I think it'll be fine. I just want to be able to see the transceiver stats but guess I'll just have to wait and see what we get. Self install seems super easy anyway.

wiggie116
Premium Member
Pittsfield, MA
D-Link DSL-2750B
Actiontec GT784WN

1 recommendation

wiggie116

Premium Member

I would also recommend having a back up modem. That Westell Zenit recommended is only 9.99. It has nice UI. Everything feature or option is right there easy to access.. When the CSR from India insist the modem is bad. You can say hold on I have a spare right here let me check

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

2 recommendations

Smith6612

MVM

The Westell C90-6100 is probably one of the most solid modems Verizon has ever given out. If you can find one, go for it. The Verizon firmware that was installed to mine a while back automatically, actually added a few more features to it, but it did have a noticeable performance impact when accessing the Web interface.

I personally, still use my 10 year old Westell modem. It has worked without fail and never needs attention. It is very tolerant to marginal conditions.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Yep, the US built C is a great modem. And at $9.99 with filters, why not?

I think the last batch made of RevC was from 2007 - not too old.

The only mod I would perform to the RevC to make it totally bulletproof is a heat sink over the TI System-on-Chip.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Maybe being ex-GTE changes which modem I'll get? Wishful thinking I suppose!
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

Again, this is all CL knowledge, but probably not.

In CL-land, they're now using the C1000/2000 series devices everywhere, even though that series of devices hails from Qwest areas (The Qwest-specific Q1000, Q2000, and Q1000z later begat the C1000a, C2000a, C1000z and now there is the C2000t.) Embarq areas used to use ZyXEL 660-series ADSL2+ modems, and even though ZyXEL is still manufacturing them, CL does not sell or ship them out anymore.

In AT&T U-Verse areas, it's more about the physical properties of the line. They use certain gateways for fiber, certain gateways for pair bonding, certain gateways if you're not using TV, and so on.

For Verizon DSL, it's going to be whatever was sitting in the front of the shelf when a fulfillment employee in a warehouse grabs the box to ship to you, or whatever was in front in the truck if you do a professional install.

For comparison, CL has several current modems:
PK5001a
PK5001z
If you get ADSL, or ADSL2+ and you're on a T-carrier/SHDSL-fed DSLAM, you're going to be sent a PK5001, and CL doesn't care if it's an A or a Z, it's totally random.

C1000a
C1000z
If you get fiber-fed ADSL2+ or VDSL2, it's going to be a C1000, and they don't care which one and it's totally random.

C2000a
C2000t
If you get pair bonding ADSL2+ or VDSL2, or you get PrismTV, it's going to be a C2000 and they don't care which one and it's totally random.

FR1000z
If you get fiber to the home, it's going to be a C2000 or FR1000z and they don't care and it's totally random. (With the exception that the C2000 series is as above required for TV service.)

Although ZyXEL and Technicolor are preferred by a lot of the CL forum members, in my experience, they're all about the same.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

2 recommendations

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Does CL lease their modems? VZ never did - they just sent them out gratis with the service order.

»www.verizon.com/Support/ ··· ting.htm

VZ's list of their standard modems - many of which have long been discontinued.

I actually ended up with 2 Westell 6100's - they handed them out like candy whenever you called about a service issue. "Oh, its the modem!" - when the problem was actually just some local within the CO thing.

Although recently a change was implemented for FIOS customers - the gateways are rented with the option to buy. Looks like McAdam took a page from Cable.