Search similar:

uniqs

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

1 recommendation

pjsutton

Re: [Info Needed] DSLAM build location

The tech is scheduled to come between 1 and 5 tomorrow. If my mom can't get home from work in time, she is going to call my 75-year-old neighbor who will come over and let the tech in. I put all kinds of sticky notes all over the place: location of the phone line, the NID, a list of questions to ask (1. what's the max speed the line can do and 2. are there any bridge taps to remove?). Then I taped up the Ethernet cord that goes to my desktop to the wall, near where the phone line is, and also have an extension cord in the same location to plug the modem into. I hope all goes well! I will also have to leave my computer on, I suppose, so the tech can set up the modem/test the connection.

Anal much???

wiggie116
Premium Member
join:2013-10-31
Pittsfield, MA

wiggie116

Premium Member

LOL....good luck. looking forward to reading your post tomorrow. Hope the install goes smooth
ramsaso
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
ARRIS SB6183

ramsaso

Premium Member

said by wiggie116:

Hope the install goes smooth

Agreed

and...
Be sure to "clear the way" for them or else they get a fit and leave without accomplishing anything (sarcastic but possible)

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

said by ramsaso:

said by wiggie116:

Hope the install goes smooth

Agreed

and...
Be sure to "clear the way" for them or else they get a fit and leave without accomplishing anything (sarcastic but possible)

Oh, I did that! However I refuse to move my desk which is a pain in the you-know-what to move, and of course the phone jack is behind it. But it's easily accessible - the desk is at least 6" from the wall, and the jack is only about 6" from the edge of the desk. There is more than enough room to plug in a 2-way splitter, filter for the voice line, and line for the modem. I also cleared a path to the NID (which is inside) in case he needs to go there, including a sticky note with location of a light switch...

In fact, I just unplugged the line that is in there now - there is more than enough slack to pull it out into an open area to attach a filter and splitter, and the return to the jack. I have the Ethernet cord taped to the wall and an extension cord placed appropriately to plug in the modem.
pjsutton

1 recommendation

pjsutton to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

Lets say its 50 lines that can get 3-7 DSL now, and every customer signs up for the $44.99 plan with regional calling - monthly they would earn roughly $2400 a month - minus the cost of power for the RT, bandwith, providing phone, customer support, and "maintenance

I drove around and put post cards in mailboxes of the addresses I was originally given. Of the 19, 3 didn't even appear to have a mailbox, and at least 2 appeared to be vacant. And one neighbor was trying to question why he'd want 3 Mbps DSL when he currently has 18 Mbps satellite ...... Don't even get me started!
ramsaso
Premium Member
Houston, TX
ARRIS SB6183

ramsaso to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
Well, if you have all of that done,

just pray that they'll do a good job and not mess up any of your belongings.

Who knows? They might be too lazy (or stupid if they refuse to follow your requests... self-pride for themselves in completing work on time?) to do their job.

Also, I would recommend writing a letter stating anything that the tech would need to do in addition to your sticky notes and list of questions.

I hope you put in some good "benefits" on your post cards to your neighbors (would-be customers of DSL) such as "No throttling! Quality Service (False) from your Telephone Company!" or something like that.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

No data cap is the biggest deal, as well as low latency.

Makes it possible to use a VPN, stream video, play games, download updates, without fear of being fleeced.
Expand your moderator at work

wiggie116
Premium Member
Pittsfield, MA

wiggie116 to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton

Re: [Info Needed] DSLAM build location

FYI Viasat is seeing some major slowdowns of late. Tell him to run another speed test..

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

1 recommendation

pjsutton

I didn't put any kind of benefits on the postcards .. said something like "The wait is over! Verizon High Speed Internet (DSL) is finally available!" Then told them how to order. At the bottom I put a little disclaimer that this had nothing to do with Verizon and I put my name and email address and reminded them I was the one who sent letters around 2 years ago. I figured the actual marketing could get left to VZ... ha!

Hopefully they don't mess anything up - how hard is it to connect a modem?!

And the neighbor told me he had Dish internet - but even still. He'd be silly to keep that and not switch to DSL.
compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA

compuguy to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

SLC-96s have been discontinued for quite a while now:
»support.alcatel-lucent.c ··· 00000326

They have a distinct brown/tan cabinet with rectangular indents for outdoor installations.

VZ used them a lot in VA's rural spots too. Its a shame as they really are totally obsolete, copper fed (4 T-1's) first gen remotes that can only provide POTS or ISDN. If VZ wanted to add DSL to a SLC-96 they would need a second RT box just for the DSLAM as rollinraver stated.

pjsutton's is much newer (RT installed just this year) and fiber fed. Cant be a SLC-5 as those are discontinued too and also live in a bigger version of the brown/tan box.
We don't know quite who manufactured pjsutton's RT, but the enclosure is modern - pic is much earlier in the thread.

rollinraver, thank you for explaining those large cards in the Alcatel unit. In some pictures of the inside of U-Verse VRAD's there were 2 sets of cables connected to each 25 line port (there were 2 ports) - one labeled CO, the other labeled Loop. I assume the CO one feeds CO based POTS back through if the customer wants that service?

I've also seen similar boxes as well in (Fairfax County). The area was originally wired around the time of the bell breakup.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

You guys in Fairfax are super lucky you got a near 100% FIOS build out. Any idea how your county government managed to pull it off?
compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA

compuguy

Not sure, but I do know there are some areas they didn't overbuild with fios (Fairfax City).

wiggie116
Premium Member
Pittsfield, MA
D-Link DSL-2750B
Actiontec GT784WN

1 recommendation

wiggie116 to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
Click for full size
Putting in some new pole and wire.
Click for full size
Looks like new poles going in.
Verizon doing more work locally thought I would add some pictures to the Encyclopedia....When I woke up this am to no DSL sync Back on now. But I came across this down the road. Probably unrelated construction but maybe it's not. They're sending a tech out between 3-7 today. Having bad luck right now with service...

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Its a big spool of fiber, they are lashing it to the existing copper and strand.

If your CO has no FIOS OLT's its probably for some commercial customer, cell tower, government use, or a new RT.

wiggie116
Premium Member
Pittsfield, MA

wiggie116

Premium Member

That's what I was thinking no Fios COs around me..

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

1 edit

pjsutton

Well ... the tech came and apparently spent 2 hours here... There's some kind of problem ... they know what it is and are working on it, apparently. He left an Actiontec (!!!!) and also said our line is capable of 8.5! Right now the DSL light is on, but Internet is not... on the router page, ISP says "Connecting"

Here's the stats I found in the meantime:

VPI: 0
VCI: 35
Broadband Mode Setting: ADSL2+
Broadband Negotiated Mode: ADSL2+
Connection Status: CONNECTED
Downstream Speed: 8159 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 891 Kbps
Retrains: 0
Retrain Timer: 0 Days, 0H:9M:11S
ATM QoS class: UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 0
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
SNR Downstream : 20 dB
SNR Upstream : 23 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 30 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 15 dB
Power Downstream 0 dBm
Power Upstream 10.6 dBm

EDIT: Also, he installed a POTS splitter in the NID. But didn't need to do any other rewiring! Looks like he used a fancy 2-way splitter because he write "phone" on one side and "DSL" on the other.
ramsaso
Premium Member
Houston, TX

ramsaso

Premium Member

Congrats! You even got a higher speed than me! (6 Mbps but Ma Bell "grandfather"ed me to 3 Mbps... sad)

Welcome to the world of DSL! Though I would keep on paying Sprint for at least... 2 months or so just in case of reliability.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Although we were only supposed to have 1.1-3. And we're not up and running yet ... soooooooooo who knows!

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to wiggie116

Premium Member

to wiggie116
said by wiggie116:

That's what I was thinking no Fios COs around me..

Verizon is placing fiber and removing copper as fast as they can but not to the premise. To the premise is where it becomes cost inefficient.
said by pjsutton:

Right now the DSL light is on, but Internet is not... on the router page, ISP says "Connecting"

Excellent. The problem is past the DSLAM in the "cloud" and you won't get any loss from there. Your signal to noise are in the 20s so you could get a faster speed or if your a gamer "Fastpath". It must be killing you to see the lights but no Interweb.
batterup

batterup to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
said by pjsutton:

Although we were only supposed to have 1.1-3. And we're not up and running yet ... soooooooooo who knows!

I don't want to get your hopes up but what you see is what you will get. Provisioning is only a computer entry and you are provisioned for the 7 meg package. Verizon always provisions more to take care of the over head.

landrover
join:2013-09-17
Martinsburg, WV

landrover to pjsutton

to pjsutton
Congrats! Stats look great. With 30 Attenuation and high SNR you could probably get close to 12Mbps on ADSL2+, if they would allow it.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to batterup

to batterup
said by batterup:

said by pjsutton:

I don't want to get your hopes up but what you see is what you will get. Provisioning is only a computer entry and you are provisioned for the 7 meg package. Verizon always provisions more to take care of the over head.

What I meant was our order confirmation said we were only getting 1.1-3 ... but if we are provisioned for 7 I'm not complaining!!

Any idea what the hold up with the Internet light could be? I drove past the RT and no one was working there - perhaps they are in the CO working on something.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by pjsutton:

Any idea what the hold up with the Internet light could be? I drove past the RT and no one was working there - perhaps they are in the CO working on something.

I assume there are some new cards to place in the CO and the NOC. They may be lighting some new fiber for the new DSLAM. That is a different department than plant and they probably didn't get the word.

Make sure they don't bill you from today.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
It is most likely router magic past the DSLAM...glad to hear your getting a great signal on the line...its a good sign.

EDIT:
Batterup beat me to it! Good advice regarding billing...the most dreaded department of any ISP :/

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Just called tech support. They escalated right to Tier 3 and said they would call back tonight. Woman sounded like she was in India, but seemed very helpful. She thought it was supposed to be PPPoE But we are ex GTE so it's DHCP. Perhaps that's the problem? She said the order was still showing as pending.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

1 recommendation

PowerMac

Awesome! Soon when you get your DSL working, you can grab a beer and start streaming Netflix lol

wiggie116
Premium Member
Pittsfield, MA

wiggie116 to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
SNR is really good... You will be up and running in the AM hopefully tonight.... Won't be long now.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
Possibly it.

Apparently after the BA/GTE merger the ex-Bell and ex-GTE folks had quite a few arguments about what was the best way to do things...

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

She called back. Apparently there was an outage while the tech was trying to provision the line (seriously??? Why does this stuff happen to me!) and that could have caused the issue. But the outage was now corrected...

She opened up an escalated ticket for the Order dept. Which of course only works until 4 pm. !!! Gr!!!!!! Haha. I'm anxious and angry at the same time!