spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jamaicaplain
@comcast.net

jamaicaplain

Anon

[Equipment] BYOM E-MTA possible?

I am switching to RCN triple play from Comcast in 2 weeks. I own an Arris TM722G DOCSIS 3 E-MTA modem. I was told when I signed up that I cannot use my own modem because of the phone service. The approved modem lists seem seriously out of date. Is there any reason I should not be able to use my modem and save the rental fee?

docjason
@verizon.net

docjason

Anon

[Equipment] Re: BYOM E-MTA possible?

as of now NO CABLE COMPANY allows use of customer's own EMTA because of liability issues. also none of them charge rental fee for e-mta like they do for internet service so what's the advantage of owning your own?

you can however use your unit for internet to eliminate rental charges and RCN will give you a seperate unit for your phone.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

1 edit

1 recommendation

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

said by docjason :

as of now NO CABLE COMPANY allows use of customer's own EMTA

Not correct, as jamaicaplain stated above

Comcast: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· e-modems

..there are others as well

Time Warner: »forums.timewarnercable.c ··· d-p/3951

However - we are the RCN forum - so I won't digress.

AFAIK, jamaicaplain, it is not offered in any market with RCN at this time - but I understand wanting to verify that officially. Hopefully one of the unofficial officials will add on here

Lamb
@rr.com

Lamb to jamaicaplain

Anon

to jamaicaplain

Re: [Equipment] BYOM E-MTA possible?

TWC requires use of their mta as well. Where did to get yours from? If it belongs to Comcast you should return to them when you cancel so you don't get it on your credit report as unreturned equipment.

jamaicaplain
@comcast.net

jamaicaplain

Anon

@Lamb, as stated above by lilhurricane, Comcast allows it. As I stated above I own it. When I bought it 2 years ago, Comcast required the specific model to be purchased from the Comcast booth in designated Best Buy's. I have since heard that they have eased up and you can buy them from other sources like amazon and get better prices.

@docjason, Comcast charges $7 for modem rental, including the E-MTA, which I got removed by buying it. With tax it cost me about $160 so after 2 years (24*7=$168) I have now saved $8. I was hoping to continue saving with RCN.

I had RCN for several years but switched to Comcast 2 years ago when a very good deal became available. But that deal is about to end and I couldn't talk Comcast into extending it. I told retention I would likely switch to RCN but they said they could not do better. RCN gave me a good enough deal to justify the switch and I have an install date in 12 days. When I had RCN before with phone, they did not yet have E-MTA modems so instead I had a big white box on the side of my house that was the precursor to E-MTA modems. I owned and used my own DOCSIS 2 modem then.

I understand the issues, just not why RCN does not allow BYOM E-MTA modems when several other cable providers do.
jamaicaplain

jamaicaplain

Anon

I got RCN installed yesterday. They replaced my Arris 722 with their Arris 822. The 822 came out a few months after I purchased my 722. As far as I know, the main differences are that the 822 has 8 downstream channels instead of 4 (4 is good up to about 130 Mbps) and the 822 has 2 telephony ports instead of 1.

So the 722 is more than adequate for me but they just don't let you use it. I don't know why.

Okayme
@rcn.com

Okayme

Anon

Rcn doesn't charge rental fee for telephone service so why is it a big deal to use their emta?