spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to Shrugs

to Shrugs

Re: Rest of Canada to finally get to pick the channels they want

I think a better example of how the current system is broken is this. How many channels does Bell own? How many are network and how many are theme channels? How many times must the same shows been seen across all the channels instead of sticking to what that theme channel should be a about.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

said by DanteX:

How many times must the same shows been seen across all the channels instead of sticking to what that theme channel should be a about.

Like Castle on Space ... Castle is a whodunnit with a twist, not a scifi, not a fantasy. When I contacted Space about that, they said "It starts Nathan Fillion of Firefly." So I asked them if they would include "Shit My Father Says" on Space just because it stars William Shatner. (No answer to that!)
DanteX

DanteX

Much in the same light as turning the Discovery channel into a channel for the Less intelligibility gifted people.
monsoon66
join:2007-01-13
Toronto, ON

monsoon66 to Shrugs

to Shrugs
As others have stated I fear that they will charge some ridiculous price per channel so that customers will be pushed towards buying packages.

shrugs
@videotron.ca

shrugs

Anon

said by monsoon66:

As others have stated I fear that they will charge some ridiculous price per channel so that customers will be pushed towards buying packages.

That is what will happen.
-Service with must carry stations: ~30$ (wooo, 75 galaxy radio stations and 9 *FREE* pay per vue stations!)
-Plus individual channels on their own: 2$.
-Or, pick your own channels in a pack:
Pack of 5: ~9.50$
Pack of 10: ~18.50$
Pack of 20: ~37$
Pack of 30: ~53$

Or pick Theme packs again.

*shrug*

All an illusion. You will pay for their faltering stations with crap on it anyway you look at it.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to DanteX

Mod

to DanteX
said by DanteX:

Much in the same light as turning the Discovery channel into a channel for the Less intelligibility gifted people.

And The Learning Channel into the Wedding Dress and Parents wanting to live life through their children channel (Honey Boo Boo, Toddlers and Tiaras,) and so on.

And Arts and Entertainment into the CSI and similar Entertainment channel No Arts left! No Entertainment of a type that has significant cultural value!
sbrook

sbrook to shrugs

Mod

to shrugs
said by shrugs :

All an illusion. You will pay for their faltering stations with crap on it anyway you look at it.

No doubt about it ... although the individual channel charges will be more like this ... essentially making the whole thing PPV!

Individual channels from $2 to $25 per month and some at $5 to $20 per hour.
DanteX

DanteX

I can see them charging 20 per hour for the Adult channels lol

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I can see it now ... HNIC and TSN blacked out unless you pay Bell or Rogers 15 per hour. Same for Baseball.
xtachx
join:2005-11-19
canada

xtachx to DanteX

to DanteX
said by DanteX:

I can see them charging 20 per hour for the Adult channels lol

I can see these channels disappearing soon after. The "adult entertainment" scene is doing quite well online and doesnt need a few "channels" at 20/hour

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to Me Myself

Premium Member

to Me Myself
said by Me Myself :

I'd rather just like to pick the TV shows I'd want to watch over picking a channel.

^^This. It's not "bundling" or Al La Carte that will be the issue a couple years from now, it's the notion of there being channels at all.

And this is what terrifies companies like Bell and Rogers. Pretty soon more people will cut the cord. T.V.? Netflix or something similar. You guys with the wires? Just give me the internet connection, I'll find the content myself...

Me Myself
@videotron.ca

Me Myself

Anon

said by Ian1:

said by Me Myself :

I'd rather just like to pick the TV shows I'd want to watch over picking a channel.

^^This. It's not "bundling" or Al La Carte that will be the issue a couple years from now, it's the notion of there being channels at all.

And this is what terrifies companies like Bell and Rogers. Pretty soon more people will cut the cord. T.V.? Netflix or something similar. You guys with the wires? Just give me the internet connection, I'll find the content myself...

Agreed. Give it another 5-10 years and this will be another fight. But Harpers copyright law sort of guarantee's their (both Canadian and American) profit and business model. Does it not?

Did you see this one? »Walking Dead may go bye bye
Seems AMC is trying to strong-arm Telus.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by Me Myself :

Did you see this one? »Walking Dead may go bye bye

It won't go bye-bye. It means we'll get it ad-free by torrent or other means.

The Geezer
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á

The Geezer to Shrugs

Premium Member

to Shrugs
Nobody has mentioned A&E. Back in the day A&E used to be a classy channel where you could watch shows that actually made you think. Now all they offer is mindless, brain dead crap like "Storage Wars" and the like. What is going on?

agreed
@videotron.ca

agreed

Anon

said by The Geezer:

Nobody has mentioned A&E. Back in the day A&E used to be a classy channel where you could watch shows that actually made you think. Now all they offer is mindless, brain dead crap like "Storage Wars" and the like. What is going on?

Yep. Here in QC, where I already have a-la-carte, I tossed A&E. It's no longer what it was. Only good if you have a bad case of insomnia and enjoy repeat after repeat.

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm to Ian1

Anon

to Ian1
Someone should give George Burger a shake and see what his take is on this. Would be interesting to see his view on it as someone already trying to please the Ontario market with a-la-carte.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to The Geezer

Premium Member

to The Geezer
said by The Geezer:

What's going on is that the masses don't want to think. They want mindless crap. In order to survive, the networks have to show that

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

And The Learning Channel into the Wedding Dress and Parents wanting to live life through their children channel (Honey Boo Boo, Toddlers and Tiaras,) and so on.

TLC used to be fun when they had shows like Junkyard Wars where you actually learned something and were entertained at the same time. Today, it's completely unrecognizable.

I'm so glad I cut the cord.
JBear
join:2005-02-24
canada

JBear to Shrugs

to Shrugs
Are most shows online now? Not through pirating but by the actual channel's website? The only reason I haven't cut the cord is because of hockey. I'd pay $50 to watch sports on Sportsnet and TSN. HNIC you can watch online or OTA.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to spock8

to spock8
said by spock8:

As much as I think this is great the government is missing the big picture. How about address the gouging done by the financial sector. Big Banks with their massive fees to have the privilege of holding your money for you. Credit card company with their monthly #ss $%ck %19.99 rates.

Credit card interest is only charges after the grace period, if you are paying CC interest you should consider taking some financial planning lessons. All my credit cards are paid on time in full, should I have the desire to extend a payment over some time I have options for low interest short term credit.
I_H8_Spam

I_H8_Spam to AsherN

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

I have Fibe "Better" pack. 253 channels for $73/month.

Unless a-la-carte comes in at less than $0.29 per channel, prices will increase.

Of those 253 channels, how many are watched?

I can consolidate my household into maybe 30 channels a la carte that we watch, the rest are of no interest or replay other channels.
said by JBear:

Are most shows online now? Not through pirating but by the actual channel's website? The only reason I haven't cut the cord is because of hockey. I'd pay $50 to watch sports on Sportsnet and TSN. HNIC you can watch online or OTA.

NHL Gamecenter, if your internet capacity can handle it for 19.00/month it is essentially center ice +.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

You won't save much doing that. 30 a-la-carte is $55 with Videotron (I presume Bell is similar), plus $9 for the terminal, plus 0.5% LPIF, plus tax, comes out to roughly $74 after tax I think.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

said by Guspaz:

You won't save much doing that. 30 a-la-carte is $55 with Videotron (I presume Bell is similar), plus $9 for the terminal, plus 0.5% LPIF, plus tax, comes out to roughly $74 after tax I think.

No but I wouldn't need 30 I OTA right now all the locals that are required carry on cable.

So OTA: CBC, CTV, Global, CHCH, City, PBS, Fox, ABC, NBC. CW, CBS. Move to a more dedicated OTA setup I may get Rochester and Erie.

That leaves the specialties I would like, avoiding channels I really could care less about.
JBear
join:2005-02-24
canada

JBear to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
I know there are workarounds but Gamecenter is local blackouts right? And can specialty events such as Olympics/Super Bowl/Grey Cup can be streamed from the internet?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to I_H8_Spam

MVM

to I_H8_Spam
Most of those OTA channels are part of the basic package, so that's not changing what you select as the extras.
UssjTrunks
join:2011-02-25

UssjTrunks to DanteX

to DanteX
said by DanteX:

That is the worst.

When I cancelled cable about two years ago, the Discovery Channel had almost zero educational programming.

They had like 4-5 shows about auctioning, 4-5 shows about some rednecks, and 4-5 shows about trucking or other types of vehicle operation.

I guess you need to order Discovery Science now to get the educational programming. Bunch of scammers.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Shrugs

Premium Member

to Shrugs
It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the channels that have carriage agreements with the BDUs that specifically prohibit the channel not being bundled with anything else (Fox News is one specific one I can think of) or how Cancon is going to work if someone wants to fill up their pick-and-pay selection with a bunch of direct American channels. I remember back in the days of Look TV they were pick-and-pay right from the get-go, and the requirement was that for every American channel you picked (like CNN or A&E) you had to pick a Canadian one to go with it. I wonder if that still applies?
monsoon66
join:2007-01-13
Toronto, ON

monsoon66 to Shrugs

to Shrugs
I was once told by someone that worked for a telco that the sports channels are the big cash cows for cable companies. That is why you usually see them spread out over various packages or on the more higher tiers. I bet those would probably have the highest prices in an a la carte offering.

As for other cable channels I agree that most of them are useless. Discovery, TLC, History, A&E, Spike, etc just have the same shitty marathons everyday.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Gone

MVM

to Gone
said by Gone:

or how Cancon is going to work if someone wants to fill up their pick-and-pay selection with a bunch of direct American channels. I remember back in the days of Look TV they were pick-and-pay right from the get-go, and the requirement was that for every American channel you picked (like CNN or A&E) you had to pick a Canadian one to go with it. I wonder if that still applies?

Yes. Videotron lets you pick and choose, you can even change your channels each month from free right on your terminal... but your selected channels must not violate cancon.