share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

Inexpensive Code Signing Certificates?

I'm looking for inexpensive code signing certificates so that Microsoft UAC no longer says that one of my programs is not a trusted program. You know what I mean by that.

By the way, the program is freeware and obviously what little I do get from donations wouldn't cover the cost of a digital certificate to sign the program.

I've looked into getting a code signing certificate and my jaw just about hit the floor when I saw some of the prices. This is like highway robbery!

Any suggestions for a small time developer that barely gets anything from his program?
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Don't sign it?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to trparky
Self sign it?

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to trparky
How about »www.startssl.com/?app=30 ?
quote:
Class 3 non-EV server and code signing certificates are valid for 3 years!
in fact their cheaper one $60 for 2 years claims to do code signing as well:
»www.startssl.com/?app=40

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to cdru
said by cowboyro:

Don't sign it?

said by cdru:

Self sign it?

Really are these viable options? Does the fact that an app is signed matter to people? I'd like to think there is consumer value in signing code so people know who wrote it etc. I think its just professional to do that for apps that I release.

As for cheapest, I tend to go with the industry solution (VeriSign) and fork over the bucks, but a cheaper solution would make me happier as well.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by Link Logger:

said by cdru:

Self sign it?

Really are these viable options?

I misread the original post. I thought he was just referring to his own software on his own machine, not software that was for eventual distribution to others.