Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit

Android 4.3.1

It looks to be an incremental update affecting the UI. Noticed it after an upgrade yesterday and now I see some new stuff to play around with. Nothing exciting to report, yet.

Gotta update the tablet next.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

What phone got the update? Carrier?

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.

he's running a custom rom

Lone Wolf
Almost Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

What phone got the update? Carrier?

Nexus 7 LTE models got it but anybody can upgrade.
From »www.androidorigin.com/nexus-7-lt···eleased/

Last week, Google decided to push a new version of Android, 4.3.1, to the LTE models of the new Nexus 7. Now, Google has uploaded the factory images and binaries for the new builds.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to mromero

said by mromero:

he's running a custom rom

Yes, I saw that.

Now I see it's for Nexus. That's what I wanted to know.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne

I read that the S4 will be getting 4.3 in the next few weeks. I don't have a link for it, for I don't remember where I read it. And, I'm not sure which carriers will be putting it out.

IMO, 4.3 doesn't add that much to the Android experience anyway. I had 4.3 on my Nexus 7. Didn't notice much of a difference.
--
Hillary In 2016 - Any Tea Left Will Have Rotted By Then

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

said by lordpuffer:

I read that the S4 will be getting 4.3 in the next few weeks...

Before people get overly excited, let's clarify that: Samsung will (may) push 4.3 to their international models. This means nothing to those on ATT, VZW, Sprint, etc, etc, etc. Unless you have a non-North American model, these updates mean little to nothing to you.

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to lordpuffer

Or maybe another 50 features that you would never use.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by mastsethi:

Or maybe another 50 features that you would never use.

Can you please list them? Maybe I would use them.
--
Hillary In 2016 - Any Tea Left Will Have Rotted By Then

haddog

join:2004-01-21
reply to Lone Wolf

Just updated CyanogenMod version to 10.2-20131014_NIGHTLY-evita on my AT&T HTC One X. Now have Android 4.3.1. Haven't noticed any differences yet. Rom is very stable for a nightly, no crashes so far.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to mastsethi

said by mastsethi:

Or maybe another 50 features that you would never use

Considering Android's user base, I suspect A LOT of people will use at least one of those "50 features".

On the other hand, a X.X.1 release likely is just bug fixes, not new features...

4.3.1 - 3 October 2013 - Bug fixes and small tweaks for the Nexus 7 LTE

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to Lone Wolf

I wonder if we'll have to wait for Kit Kat.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

You have Verizon, as I recall. Their S4 phones may never see Android 4.4 officially.

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to lordpuffer

Go to cyanogen mod settings. Take a deep breath.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

You have Verizon, as I recall. Their S4 phones may never see Android 4.4 officially.

Yes, I do.

Oh goody.....
--
The Alien in the White House

21,735 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

I know you're not against rooting.... Oh wait, you have an S4 :-p You can root it, but flashing custom ROMs is extremely awkward ! My S3 would be 4.2.2 if stock, but I'm running 4.3.1 currently. I'm sure 4.4 will be on it in a matter of months.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

Custom ROMS are a bit over my head I'm afraid. I'm a 'learn by watching' kind of person. If I had someone sitting with me to literally show me how to do it, I would get it. But trying to figure it out by reading sometimes vague (and varying) directions on the internet is more than I'm willing to risk.

I couldn't believe how easy it was to root my LG730. Downloaded one file, attached phone to laptop, clicked on .bat file (I think it was a .bat file), and boom, rooted in less than 20 secs.

Haven't done the s4 yet, I don't think it's quite that simple. But will do it eventually, when the ads and bloatware finally get on my last nerve, haha...
--
The Alien in the White House

21,735 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

As part of that .bat file, it probably installed a custom recovery as well. With that, you download another file (the ROM itself) and move it to your SD card. Reboot into recovery and install it. It's honestly not difficult. On the S4 though, Samsung has really locked down the bootloader (where that recovery tool gets installed) and it has NOT been cracked yet.