spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TPKeller
join:2006-02-20
Fredericksburg, VA

TPKeller

Motorola SB6182

The wise forum rule-setters have prevented me from posting a simple follow-on to an existing thread, so I have been forced to start a new one.

A question in the prior thread went unanswered: Where and when may one purchase the subject modem?

I am beating my head against a noisy-line DSL connection almost daily, and am ready to switch to my local Cox provider, but I won't rent a modem, and since I plan to be in for the long haul, I want the best new technology.

Please advise when this modem will be available for individual purchase.

Thanks!

Here's the prior thread:

»SB6182? New modem?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

From everything I have read, the modem you seek is only being given to service providers at this time. Why modem manufacturers continue to do this type of restricted sale baffles me, but they do. The best thing to do is go get a white case SB6141 from you favorite legal modem seller. Add in your favorite WiFi equipped router. Then you are good to go. In 12 years a retail version of the SB6182 should be available.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to TPKeller

Premium Member

to TPKeller
cox no longer rents modems
TPKeller
Fredericksburg, VA

TPKeller

Not according to the options I see on my local Cox service request web page. They offer two rental options. Now I haven't followed through to see if that page actually works, but nothing I see would indicate that the rental options don't work.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to ajwees41

Premium Member

to ajwees41
We still have the rental option in Georgia.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

you can rent wireless gateways Cox isn't renting standalone modems.
TPKeller
Fredericksburg, VA

TPKeller

I double checked, and need to correct. There is a rental option for a monthly fee, a purchase option for a one-time fee, and a "bring your own" option. They do not specify the model on the screen where you pick from the three options.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Hate to say it but I think your best bet is just to go to one of the Cox stores and just check what they have in inventory. Or you can call Cox and talk to their Sales support team and see if anyone can drop ship you the SB6182. Not sure how the pricing would work, but Im sure they would tell you that before shipping it to you.

In general though, I would suggest the SB6141 for now. Since it uses a different firmware it might be a good idea to give Cox a month or so to work out any bugs found by in field testing. JMHO

PS. If your upgrading from a D2 modem to a D3 modem and you have Premier internet, make sure they also update your service code on your account.
TPKeller
Fredericksburg, VA

TPKeller

Sounds like the 6141 may be the practical way to go. Just TV from Cox right now, my DSL is from the local telco.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to ajwees41

Premium Member

to ajwees41
Darn it, I missed the fact that they were gateways. Another sign of my getting old.
Buddylee
join:2013-09-10
Brooklyn, NY

Buddylee to TPKeller

to TPKeller
I just stop into the local Cox store in Henderson Nevada and they had a Cisco modem and a Netgear gateway as rental options.
TPKeller
Fredericksburg, VA

TPKeller

Well, I picked up a Cisco DPC3010 for half price via Craigslist. Seller claimed it was from a Cox system, and never used. Guess we'll see!

Plan to sign up in a week or so.

Theron