Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada

Canadian gov't to push cable providers to unbundle channels

Click here to read the article.

What do you guys think of this? What would happen to the current TELUS Optik/Satellite TV packaging?

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21

said by Tornado15550:

Click here to read the article.

What do you guys think of this? What would happen to the current TELUS Optik/Satellite TV packaging?

TELUS would love it. We've been asking and pressuring the govt to do this for a long time. Its not us who forces bundle on customer. Its the channel provider.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter

1 edit
reply to Tornado15550

Federal election season is so devious.

Hopefully it won't end up like the new 2 year cell phone plans, where there is now a large monthly markup to cut the losses from old plans of 3 year subsidized phones. With a 2 year subsidy, the Cell-phone giants should of made a $100 initial subsidy fee. They'd have to conspire to do that though.

Sports channels should always be shoved to their own tier. Let the sport-nuts pay $20 a month for their precious.

Most people would like to be able to buy only 10 channels at $2 a channel(plus time shifting). That scares the TV industry. $20 a month to the TV signal provider(rogers/shaw/bell/telusbell) and a whole lot of fees to make up for the $60+ a month in losses.
It is time to purge the crap specialty channels, along with all that Canadian content filler that makes them worse.

Just about all that tv content is also online and from legitimate sources(free/paid), so only frightening GB caps keep a large number of people from cutting the cable.
Some don't cut the cable because 24/7 TV babysits children and adults.
--
Knowledge and curiosity are not crimes and those who are curious should not be treated like criminals.. »www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Gardener
Premium
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
reply to Tornado15550

Unbundling may come too late for those of us who are so turned off commercial TV that we rarely watch. Ten years of discs, downloads, and streams kind of do it to you.

Bucko2013

@24.114.40.x

If the unbundling occurs two things will surely happen.
1.) many speciality channels will fold and you could say negatively impact Canadian show production and
2.) if you think you will pay less than $2/channel then this is highly unrealistic and therefore unbundling will force the content provider to up the price sports channels will be $5-$10each. Premium packages will be the same eg TWN and Super Channel. Ethnic channels carry many bundling restrictions so if you enjoy non English speaking channels expect to pay a premium per channel ie over $10 each.

If true a la carte comes there will still be the basic package of channels that the CRTC just ruled on.

Will be interesting to see if HD & SD variant pricing comes into or out of play more.

Telus alreay offers pretty small tv theme packages. 48?Individual speciality channels are already $4 each per month I would expect this to go up if pushed through.

Kruisey

join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC
reply to Symtex

The channel provider.Would that be Bell and Shaw?

Symtex

Burnaby, BC

said by Kruisey:

The channel provider.Would that be Bell and Shaw?

And fox. They are the one forcing us into bundles
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to Symtex

Hope you don't have expensive prices per channel.

Kruisey

join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Why should consumers have to pay for trash they never watch?.I should imagine if channels get unbundled I will get more quality programing .Those that don't will fail.
Even if the price went up a little per channel it probably will still be cheaper than having to pay for so many channels I never watch.
Shaw,Bell and Fox should have listened to their consumers,one which includes Telus
and not presumed they could get away with their gravy train.......Oh dear the gravy train is about to crash

JustineG

@74.63.112.x

Telus/Sasktel etc customers I fear will loose with not having content to leverage. The companies will have to pay a higher price to deliver the same channel customer paying cost as everyone else that provides it.

Consumer choice + paying less are win points for the Feds and the reality is the average Canadian consumer doesn't care about distinct speciality channels with Canadian programming on them folding.

Highest priced channels will be sports orientated. I was reading elsewhere that Bell wants $5/$6 for TSN alone come 2015 2/3 more of what they get now....

Symtex

Burnaby, BC
reply to Kruisey

said by Kruisey:

Why should consumers have to pay for trash they never watch?

this is the exact reason. Its like extortion. They say if you want Fox television, you have to buy foxnews and foxworldsports. They know certain speciality channel won't have as many subscriber so they bundle it and force the provider to sell it that way or we don't get a license.
--

Darhole
Premium
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Tornado15550

I think I would end up paying more or the same. Many of the programs watched in my household are on such a variety of networks that the bundles we own (all but 1) have multiple channels being utilized.

If we had to pay individually for the 'essentials' channels, I would definitely be paying more. If those remained as is, maybe, just maybe, I'd save a bit.

I'm more interested in getting rid of the simultaneous substitution. If I didn't have to watch 90 cap-it commercials every time a hockey or am. football game was on, I'd be so happy.
If we got the american versions of Nat Geo, Discovery, etc available for individual subscription etc, I would be so happy and pay EXTRA! Too often I'm having to download stuff when I pay 81 bucks a month already for tv service

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Bucko2013

said by Bucko2013 :

Ethnic channels carry many bundling restrictions so if you enjoy non English speaking channels expect to pay a premium per channel ie over $10 each.

Hahahaha nope! Ethnic channels are either free or very cheap to watch online. No one will pay $50/month to watch ethnic channels.

You can also buy IPTV boxes for them, and many providers have apps for Google TV / Roku etc for these.
--
Connected to the world with 1-800-BLOODBATH-Mobility

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to Darhole

said by Darhole:

If we got the american versions of Nat Geo, Discovery, etc available for individual subscription etc, I would be so happy and pay EXTRA!

US netflix has all those shows. Its much cheaper to go that route.

On a side note - it would be nice if Telus (and Shaw) started offering higher speed internet plans, with at least TB of usage or unlimited. Internet i the way of the future, and this is apparent if you look at stuff like the quarterly reports. Take Shaw for example, they are losing 10,000 TV subs every MONTH! The providers need to charge for internet in pricing increments of say $0.5/Mbps or something.

--
Connected to the world with 1-800-BLOODBATH-Mobility

Darhole
Premium
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS

said by xtachx:

said by Darhole:

If we got the american versions of Nat Geo, Discovery, etc available for individual subscription etc, I would be so happy and pay EXTRA!

US netflix has all those shows. Its much cheaper to go that route.

On a side note - it would be nice if Telus (and Shaw) started offering higher speed internet plans, with at least TB of usage or unlimited. Internet i the way of the future, and this is apparent if you look at stuff like the quarterly reports. Take Shaw for example, they are losing 10,000 TV subs every MONTH! The providers need to charge for internet in pricing increments of say $0.5/Mbps or something.

how about instead of workarounds we get proper content in our country?

i shouldnt have to spoof my country's location in order to get content.

jed
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can
Reviews:
·TELUS
·EastLink Interne..
reply to Tornado15550

I had understood, from the reading I did, that its likely our costs would increase. The tv show repeitition that we see across alot of channels, means that the costs of those shows are averaged out. Paying for more specific channels, and shows, would mean that the costs per show are not averaged out.

I'm not certain how accurate that is, but its getting ridiculous for the cost of tv watching, period. I'm getting a library card.