All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
mactalla
join:2008-02-19

mactalla to TypeS

to TypeS

Re: [DSL] IPv6?

In another thread Gabe said of the West: "You will be assigned a /64 automatically if you enable IPv6 over your PPPoE session via ipv6cp" I took that to mean that enabling the option was not necessary for us as it was offered to all users by default. I've got it and didn't think anything was changed for my account. But perhaps I misunderstood.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

said by mactalla:

In another thread Gabe said of the West: "You will be assigned a /64 automatically if you enable IPv6 over your PPPoE session via ipv6cp" I took that to mean that enabling the option was not necessary for us as it was offered to all users by default. I've got it and didn't think anything was changed for my account. But perhaps I misunderstood.

You are correct Mactalla! It is automatically assigned as long as you have an IPv6 compatible PPPoE device.
edalzell2
join:2002-01-16
Vancouver, BC

edalzell2

Click for full size
Anyone managed to get this working in BC?
mactalla

mactalla

TekSavvy haven't enabled DHCP-PD (yet?). For now at least the router must relay the IPv6 negotiations between the LAN and WAN. I don't know if consumer routers have that option by default. It doesn't seem to be a typical configuration.

If your router can relay, then turn that on. Failing that, if your router can take OpenWrt you can use that. Failing that, ask Gabe if/when we'll get DHCP-PD. Sending some timmies could help
edalzell2
Vancouver, BC

edalzell2

I have just realized all this time I have been talking about my router but not mentioned the modem. I have the Xysel modem in bridge mode. Do I have to do anything to it?

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

You need ipv6cp. dhcp-pd doesn't work for us yet
edalzell2
Vancouver, BC

edalzell2

Ah, ok, so I am out of luck with my ASUS then?

No biggie, was just playing around.
mactalla

mactalla

If your modem is in bridge mode then it will have no effect on IPv6 (or anything at the IP level).

Based on your screenshot, unless you've got something special under Connection Type, the best you can get with that router is IPv6 access for itself (nothing for the LAN computers) or create a private network for your LAN (disable DHCP-PD and you can probably hardcode a private subnet under the LAN settings). You'll still be NAT'ed so not ideal, but it sounds like Gabe's working on DHCP-PD which will solve the problem.
edalzell2
Vancouver, BC

edalzell2

Native, Tunnel, Static are my options.
mactalla

mactalla

So no relay for you, sorry.

Choices:

a. IPv6 only on your router (not too useful)

b. NAT'ed IPv6 for your LAN (not great, but at least it's something)

c. And send Gabe some Timmies and wait. Repeat until DHCP-PD starts working. Sounds like they might be blocked by their hardware supplier, so this could be a long wait.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Tunnel is a good choice too, or is that what you are refering to as NAT'd
mactalla

1 recommendation

mactalla

True, tunnel is also an option. In fact that would give him non-NAT'd public IPs. Just not using TekSavvy's native IPv6.

By NAT'd I was referring to assigning a private IPv6 address range to his LAN. These would not be globally visible and would have to be translated just like the 192.168.x.x addresses in IPv4.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

kevinds

Premium Member

There is an advantage of using a tunnel over native,

If you change ISP's, you can keep the same static IP addresses