uniqs
TheHox
join:2012-05-31

TheHox

PTP link doable? (Pics inside)

Click for full size
Click for full size
Think this .5 mile link would work?

40ft tower at each side of the link. I am standing on the tower at the rx side.
The tx side JUST breaks the tree line, this link is sketchy at best, but, that's what I have to work with..
jimbouse
join:2011-10-01
Bryan, TX

jimbouse

I'd throw a couple of NanoBridges or NanoStations up there to see how it performs. I think it would work fairly well even with the Fresnel issues.
TheHox

TheHox

I should add, this link would be a PTP backhaul for a new POP.

The tower I am standing on would be the new POP that would serve many customers. Which would then backhaul to the tower seen in the picture.

I'll give it a shot, I'll have to order more gear, the shelf's are empty.

2nd question, if using this link for a backhaul for many customers, would it be any better to go with a PowerBridge over a NanoBridge?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

You can make a very reliable backhaul using 5.8Ghz or even 5.3-5.7Ghz radios with 2 physically separate RX antennas placed ~18 inches apart and at least 24 inches above the tree tops.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to TheHox

Premium Member

to TheHox
Use the nanobridges.
I have powerbridges in service and they are coming out. I dunno something about the antenna in those that doesn't seem to be 25dbi and they are not DFS certified.
Porch
join:2005-06-19

Porch to TheHox

to TheHox
That link should not be a problem. However, trees tend to grow and the link might be blocked in a few years.
TheHox

TheHox

My other business (the real money maker) is landscaping which includes tree removal. That tree will make me some money when it gets big enough that I have to cut it down.

Thanks for the info guys, going to order some nanobridge m5s. I wanted to stay out of 5ghz for backhaul to keep it clear for my PTMP stuff but, guess I'll have to play the spectrum game..

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by TheHox:

I wanted to stay out of 5ghz for backhaul to keep it clear for my PTMP stuff but, guess I'll have to play the spectrum game..

What were you going to use for PTMP? 5ghz is optimal for backhauls.
TheHox

TheHox

I was originally planning on using 5ghz for PTMP as well. I was worried about 2.4ghz.
But I just did some tests just now at some of my landscaping customers (That want internet). Connecting to my rocketm2 omni with a NM2, via speedtest.net I was pulling 15ms at 30mbps down uncapped. I forgot to check the power levels, I was too excited to see that it even connected, lol.

The max speed I plan to offer is 10mbps, but at $100/m doubt I will get that many. Probably a bunch of 5mbps accounts, so 2.4 should do the trick for now to get me moving and on my feet.