spc
Search similar:

uniqs
slong
join:2005-11-01
Charlotte, NC

1 edit

slong

Travelling with SOHO Router (and device I can use as wifi as WAN)

I have a SOHO router that allows me access to my employer's network and puts me inside their VPN. It requires a wired connection - so my question is...

If I'm travelling and using a hotel's wifi (assuming they don't have wired connections, as most don't anymore) - what kind of device can I use to pick up the hotel's wifi - (and login if necessary) and then plug my SOHO router into it via a wired connection?

I was thinking wireless router - but everything I'm finding I check the setup information and the connection to the internet either goes to a modem or switch. I'm looking for something that uses wifi as the WAN/internet port, and has wired ports I can connect my equipment to.

Long story short - I don't want to be nailed down to only working from where I have ISP provided internet - want to use wifi to connect. Only thing plugged into the SOHO router is their laptop and a Cisco (voip) phone.

Best regards,

Steve

Edit - also forgot to mention, I'll be re-imbursed for the cost of the device - and I will also use it at home where I do have access to ISP provided internet. (when I'm no travelling)

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

There are portable wifi routers that act as wifi adaptors like you speak. Will post later with some.
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public to slong

to slong
said by slong:

I'm looking for something that uses wifi as the WAN/internet port, and has wired ports I can connect my equipment to.

ddwrt or similar firmware can do that.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to slong

MVM

to slong
What is the make and model of the SOHO Router that allows YOU access to Your employer's Network?

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

There are many such as Aruba, Meraki just to name a few...

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to slong

MVM

to slong
Get a Wireless Gaming Adapter for hotels that are wifi only. You login to the WGA and connect it to the hotels wifi, then connect the WAN port on the router to the ethernet port on the WGA.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to slong

MVM

to slong
You're looking for a wireless bridge... otherwise suggestions so far are pretty good.

Otherwise, I'd talk to your company IT and see if they have any suggestions. I'm pretty surprised they'd
tie you down like that to ONLY having a wired connection.

I'm curious as well, what exactly did your company hand you?

Regards

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to slong

Premium Member

to slong
I have three road routers.
An older P1 VPN router from zyxel (wired only)
A trendnet unit which did wifi and what you want
»www.trendnet.com/product ··· R&cat=21

A cradlepoint cTR35 unit that does 3g-4g and wifi is what I have but this is what they make now.
I went to Europe and the trendnet was useless as I need the usb 3g-4g.

»www.cradlepoint.com/prod ··· g-router
Special Feature: Use WiFi as a Data Source. “WiFi-as-WAN” mode enables the MBR95 to become a WiFi repeater (using existing WiFi to create secure connections)

I believe cradlepoint has removed themselves from the portable business however as the MB95 is not designed as a travel router but I believe its form factor is pretty decent.
7. inches wide, by 5.3 inches deep by 1.5 inches high 10 ounces.

There is also the pricey airport express by apple wifi or wired.

This is probably what I would look at now.
»www.tp-link.us/products/ ··· L-MR3020

If I needed it to be truly portable (Battery)
»www.tp-link.us/products/ ··· L-MR3040

Another one
»www.asus.com/ca-en/Netwo ··· L330N3G/
slong
Charlotte, NC

slong to mozerd

to mozerd
It's a Cisco 870
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to slong

MVM

to slong
Then they're probably doing router to router EasyVPN -- see this if you're interested

@OP
Ask your company if they can simply install and configure the Cisco VPN client in case a wired connection isn't available.

My 00000010bits.

Regards
slong
Charlotte, NC

slong

I have vpn client as well, and it seems to work. They have sent me a Cisco voip phone (7960) that needs to plug into their router as well.

They use proxies to get to everything, and being a sys admin I have numerous (hurdles?) to go through to get to their prod network. Not sure which pieces and parts of it I actually need the SOHO router for yet, if at all. May turn out I can get to everything with the VPN client. Then I just need to find out where to plug the phone in if that's the case.

I tried sharing my wifi connection from my other laptop, and hanging their SOHO router off the wired port. Not sure if that worked or caused some security mechanism to lock me out - but I can't get into anything now with the SOHO router lol.

Have call in to get everything going again - so will have to post back later what I've figured out. I was looking at the Cradle Point stuff as well, but if I can just hang it off my other laptop and share the connection - will work for me. I have to take both laptops when I travel anyway.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to slong

MVM

to slong
said by slong:

Then I just need to find out where to plug the phone in if that's the case.

Could you ask for a soft(ware) phone?

Best of luck with things, nonetheless

Regards

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to slong

to slong
7960 has a VPN feature which requires no routers/fw...