Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

Security Google Switches On Browser Spy Cam in Chrome

Google Switches On Browser Spy Cam in Chrome

Google Update Turns Phone Into Possible Tool For Others To Spy On You

This security hole open to abuse needs to be fully recognized by all end users!!! (I have tried to tell people THEY SHOULDNT USE THIS CRAP but they dont care)

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

Thanks, I will be sure that Chrome is never on my laptop.

Drunkula
Premium
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Dude111

People should be aware. However I think you're being a bit of an alarmist. But then that could just be your intention. If so, then well played.
--
There are 10 types of people that understand binary numbers. Those that do - and those that do not...

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to Dude111

quote:
August 01 2012 01:02 PM ET
Wow, that article's pretty current by Dude standards.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

3 edits

2 recommendations

reply to Dude111

Look up WebRTC. It's the standard used since Chrome 21 was released LAST year, which is the subject of your alarm and those articles. Since you're a year late to the party, it's been enabled by default in Firefox since version 22 (initial support started in Firefox 18 last year). Opera did support it since version 12 but it appears to have been dropped in Opera 15:
»www.webrtc.org/
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebRTC

Microsoft devs are developing a competing standard called cu-rtc-web:
»blogs.msdn.com/b/interoperabilit···wer.aspx
»html5labs.interopbridges.com/pro···-web/faq

--
Start with what you can do, solutions will follow...

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to Dude111

May be Google is going to offer Home View service, complementing their Street View. Some folks will be happy to see it (as usual)
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Inflex

join:2002-09-05

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Is looking for this kind of alarmist stuff all you do all day long?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Well I care about people's privacy

I saw this on another site im on and wanted others to know!!

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to Dude111

Re: Security Google Switches On Browser Spy Cam in Chrome

said by Dude111:

This security hole open to abuse needs to be fully recognized by all end users!!!

I hope you don't have Flash player installed, or Java, cause they make WebRTC look like Fort Knox

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

1 recommendation

»[FireFox] Use Firefox Services to add social features to your br

WebRTC. Apart from opening up a whole can of worms security-wise, "Web Real Time Chat" (comparable with Skype video calls and the likes) is not considered useful or desired functionality for Pale Moon. This is best left to dedicated programs or at most a browser plug-in.

»www.palemoon.org/technical.shtml

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to DrDrew

Thanks for reminding me that this social garbage will be in Fx 24 ESR when that is pushed in Jan 2014. It's not in my current Fx 17.0.9 ESR version. Maybe I will switch to Pale Moon. I used it several years ago and liked it. I'm dreading Fx 24.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

So put a piece of tape over the camera and microphone. The camera can't tape what it can't see. Someone will probably do an app to garble sound.

Right now, camera is disabled on laptop. If any app insists, there goes the duck tape.

It will be harder to get rid of on portable devices like tablets and cell phones. I can't see having a camera on a computer unless you are videoconferencing for business. My desktop does not have one unless I connect via USB. I can pull the plugs.

Can't all this stuff be removed by judicious editing of about:config?

Don't us anti-socials have any rights?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Here is where i found this everybody..... Im sorry for the date on the article,i didnt closely look and I was wanting to help people

»www.survivalistboards.com/showth···tyleid=1

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

THANK YOU for letting people like me know this. I no longer go into ANY forums that much and I'm sorely lacking on security issues. It baffles me WHY kids these days are so into having no privacy? why would I want a microphone or camera turned on without me knowing it? this is the dream of the Staci secret police, too bad they died

I know other things like Javascript and Flash are terrible, BUT I want to be able to control it from my side 100% to my likings.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

I dont blame ya buddy!!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 edit
reply to DrDrew

Click for full size
Click for full size
WebRTC is a draft W3C standard, done through Javascript. If the browsers follow the standard, you will be asked for permission when this protocol is invoked. Give it a try here: »apprtc.webrtc.org/
--

carpetshark3
Premium
Idledale, CO

Nothing - page was blank. Camera is disabled on laptop. Staying that way. Desktop doesn't have one built in and I can pull USB plugs until I want Skype.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

I get a 404 error when i click that link!

I think this is the right link

»www.webrtc.org/demo

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Dude111

I get a black page and at the bottom the message "Sorry this room is full. Click here to try again". I got that yesterday and again today so I don't that link works right. (I bypassed Proxo to test there).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

If you don't have a browser that understands WebRTC, it's not going to do much. Looks like Flash will need to be enabled too.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Opera 12 is supposed to understand but I get an error there. (I have Flash enabled and Opera has a direct connection to the internet). What does it mean "get user media" - my non existent webcam?
--

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to carpetshark3

said by carpetshark3:

So put a piece of tape over the camera and microphone. The camera can't tape what it can't see. Someone will probably do an app to garble sound.

Right now, camera is disabled on laptop. If any app insists, there goes the duck tape.

It will be harder to get rid of on portable devices like tablets and cell phones. I can't see having a camera on a computer unless you are videoconferencing for business. My desktop does not have one unless I connect via USB. I can pull the plugs.

Agreed. I don't taping a mic(rophone) will help much. More like physically break/disconnect it!

FYI, duct is the correct spelling for that tape.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to Dude111

HogWash..and for all you skype users..give it a try for an alternate..works fine

»blog.bistri.com/post/35207253773···eo-calls

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

3 edits
reply to Mele20

getUserMedia() is a JavaScript function call for WebRTC.

Since WebRTC is still being drafted and worked on, not every thing is finalized yet. Earlier versions, found in earlier browsers still had functions called by different names or not yet supported. A later browser version would probably support it.

Here's some pages explaining it:
»hacks.mozilla.org/2013/02/cross-···awebrtc/
»caniuse.com/stream
»www.webrtc.org/interop
--

carpetshark3
Premium
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

said by antdude:

said by carpetshark3:

Agreed. I don't taping a mic(rophone) will help much. More like physically break/disconnect it!

FYI, duct is the correct spelling for that tape.

Lowe's has a brand called Duck. I can get it in a color to match the laptop. »duckbrand.com/

carpetshark3
Premium
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

So what if you don't want your browser to have that ability? Will someone do an extension like Flashblock?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

reply to carpetshark3

Target has that brand also and, gee, duct tape has sure changed what with all the colors it comes in now!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to DrDrew

Thank you. Those links were informative. media.peerconnection first appears in Fx 18. That config setting (which is set to true by default), and a bunch of other related ones, is in the current SeaMonkey but the demo doesn't work with it. Oh, but that is probably because I have Flash disabled for Mozilla browsers. I guess Opera was working correctly (I have Flash enabled there) but it should ave given an error message about no webcam.
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to carpetshark3

said by carpetshark3:

So what if you don't want your browser to have that ability? Will someone do an extension like Flashblock?

If using Firefox, go to about:config and turn media.peerconnection.enabled to false
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to Dude111

Here is another site to test WebRTC on:
»www.sharefest.me/

It allows for browser to browser file sharing using WebRTC, nothing to do with web cams or mics.
--