share rss forum feed

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
moving soon
kudos:3

[Ultra] Odered a Range Extender

The signal for the Wow Ultra WiFi has always been spotty for my cell while on the main floor (Gateway in the basement.) It will be interesting to see if $30 makes a good improvement.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33315112

sml1771

join:2006-11-20
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

I recently bought the "NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender" and it works GREAT with my ultra TV set up !!! If the one you bought doesn't end up working out, this one is definitely worth the money.

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YA···F8&psc=1

Good Luck.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
moving soon
reply to usa2k
Edimax EW-7438RPn 300Mbps Wireless 802.11/b/g/n Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender with iQ-Setup for Hassle Free Installation and Built-in Wall Plug Power Adapter Design to Conveniently Extend Wi-Fi Signal Coverage is what I linked in my first post and the $30 was not worth it.

Seems after a day it needs a reboot to issue an IP. The phone sees it and its better signal, but is stuck on "obtaining IP address". The WOW Ultra is instant, but weaker.
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Artist-247

sllywhtboy

join:2001-11-13
Santa Clara, CA
reply to usa2k
while you may not get seamless roaming, putting another AP on the other side of the house, serving out the same SSID with the same PSK should work pretty well. the drawback is getting the line pulled back to the ultratv gateway...

ghettocowboy

join:2013-08-06
Center Line, MI
reply to usa2k
picked up a wd my net range extender myself a little while back when office depot had them for $15. my ultra box is on 1 side of the house and i had spotty signal in 1 room and no signal in another. i put it in the room with no signal and it does help a lot, but i have the same issue and have to reboot the box every other day

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
moving soon
reply to usa2k
So the extender seems to be working daily without reboot now. The only change I did was I changed the Ultra to Channel 6 - the extender seems to follow.

I was noticing on AUTO for WOW Ultra that it, and the surrounding wireless routers near me were all on channel1. This was realized when I played with an old Sony laptop that pictorially showed the surrounding devices.

This thing may have its uses yet.
said by usa2k:

Edimax EW-7438RPn 300Mbps Wireless 802.11/b/g/n

--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Artist-247