join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC

4 recommendations

art22gg

Premium Member

[App Update] Avast [Free] Ver..2014.9.0.2006..Oct 15/13

Change log...(Large)

Quote:Hi all,

I'm glad to announce that we've just released AVAST 2014 (build number 9.0.2006).

Here is the list of major changes/improvements:

Protection-related features and improvements
•New DeepScreen technology allows avast! to make more intelligent decisions about new/unknown files. DeepScreen is a successor of AutoSandbox, now upgraded with some additional new technologies such as dynamic binary translation and dyna-gen announced earlier.
•New Hardened mode for stricter lockdown scenarios. This is a new mode that is recommended especially for novice users (such as your grandmas): it automatically blocks execution of binaries that would normally be deepscreened (Moderate level) or even allows only execution of programs that are well-known to FileRep (Aggressive level). In a way, it brings the whitelisting concept to the consumer AV space.
•Improved cloud scanning features and crowdsourced analysis of suspicious items. This includes new, optimized mechanism for collecting data from our sensors.
•Continuously streaming update (CSU) technology for up-to-minute detections. This is not entirely new for v2014, but we now have really buttoned up the whole streaming update infrastructure to allow for reliable, uninterrupted service. We’re currently doing 350-400 updates a day, which equals to one update in roughly every 3.75 minutes, 24x7, 365 days a year. Streaming updates can now also carry more types of definitions than before.
•Improved cleaning of malware. This applies to standard malware as well as rootkits and file infectors.

Other new features
•All-new web browser plugins featuring comprehensive security ratings, protection against malware, phishing and typosquatting sites and Do-Not-Track (DNT) functionality for improved anonymity on the Internet. The DNT functionality doesn’t rely on the DNT HTTP headers; instead, it uses a proprietary technology that cannot be overridden by the servers.
•All-new SafeZone for more secure online shopping and banking. Users can now switch back and forth between SafeZone and the regular browser with a single click. Also, online banking sites can be automatically opened in the SafeZone.
•Rescue disk - allow users to create a bootable CD or flash disk with Avast on it. Great for cleaning.

Other improvements
•A new, streamlined user interface for simplified navigation and more user comfort. The new UI is actually much simplified, and it’s probably the biggest change since version 5.0. We have also redefined the shields to the total number of three (File Shield, Web Shield, Mail Shield) and tweaked the action buttons (tiles) on the home page so that they’re now fully configurable.
•Control and manage all protected devices directly from the Avast console. That is, the my.avast.com account is perfectly integrated in the UI to allow for management of all your devices running Avast.
•Dramatic reduction in product size (full installer 60MB, compared to today’s 120MB) and memory footprint. By default, install is done through a new stub installer though (which has the advantage of always installing the most up-to-date version).
•Faster scanning thanks to optimized scanning engine (raw [in-memory] scans of EXE files are about 2x faster, while scans of text contents (e.g. web pages and scripts) are up to 10x faster).
•Completely rewritten setup/updater that makes the installation and upgrade process faster, easier and more reliable
•Firewall has been redesigned from scratch to allow for better compatibility with latest Windows, better performance and full support for IPv6 (although its UI hasn’t really changed).
•New licensing system allows for much easier management of product licenses. The system relies on activation codes, and these can be added seamlessly by simply clicking a link.
•Various improvement in the Software Updater and Browser Cleanup tool.

It should be possible to install this version on top of your existing avast! installation (all settings should be preserved). Or you can use in-product updater.

thanks a lot, enjoy this release!!!

Pavel

»forum.avast.com/index.ph ··· 136785.0

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

2 edits

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks art.....Wow, this must be the biggest and longest download for me!

Edit...Very cool Interface.

Note: I'm running Win 7 64 bit Home Premium. I received a message from the "System and Security" > "Action Center" after restart that said Avast was not turned on. It is on. A bug?
art22gg
Premium Member
Courtenay, BC

art22gg

Premium Member

Your welcome...
said by lordpuffer:

Note: I'm running Win 7 64 bit Home Premium. I received a message from the "System and Security" > "Action Center" after restart that said Avast was not turned on. It is on. A bug?

I would try a reboot,and hopefully that will clear it up...
Other than that,how are you liking the new "model"??

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Click for full size
Thanks, a reboot fixed that issue. BTW, I forgot to mention that I have the Pro Edition.

I like the Interface as I said above. I've played with it some, and it seems very lite on resources, even with all of the stuff that they packed in it. I have it on my laptop, which I don't use that much (I mainly use a Mac). Above is a pic of the main screen.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
Thanks Art

Yep, it sure looks different.

Haven't played with it yet.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
Click for full size
WTH happened to this lite and great AVP...............it's become this bloated pig that wants to take over your computer?

20 bloody minutes to install all the hidden crap
and then it allows the offer tool that I've blocked for over a year,and what the hell is this new instub.exe ?

They think that this new look is better.........it's mickey mouse compared to the old one.
15 bloody processes.
Time to look for another alternative.
art22gg
Premium Member
Courtenay, BC

1 recommendation

art22gg

Premium Member

Here is a link to all the NEW features and a FAQ to the questions related to the updated/upgraded program!

»www.avast.com/faq.php?ar ··· 9#idt_03

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

onDvine to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
Thank you, Art! I'll watch this thread for a day or two and then update.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
I have to wonder if all those processes use an unreasonable amount of memory? But if the processes are only using Kbs of memory, that should be fine.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

They don't use that much CPU except when Avast phones home or updates .........then it uses upwards of 90+ and it just slows everything down.

aussiedog
join:2007-01-10
Mesilla Park, NM

aussiedog to art22gg

to art22gg
Quite an improvement! I'm stoked at the lower resource usage and a much nicer interface to boot. Nice job Avast!

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Are there 15 processes in Task Manager?
Those processes in your screen shot, aren't those mostly Avast system drivers, applications and and other various tools? I would imagine that they do not come into use that often. I haven't verified the following myself but a friend of mine checked this software on a virtual machine and noticed maybe two or three services at best running in Task Manager. It was a full install. I haven't used or tested Avast since version "4".
Dustyn

Dustyn to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
I like their take on "System Requirements"
frank124c
join:2003-12-04
Brooklyn, NY

frank124c to art22gg

to art22gg
Just want to say I have been using Avast for some time now with no problems. Avast is the best of the free antivirus programs.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

2 edits

2 recommendations

redwolfe_98 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

I have to wonder if all those processes use an unreasonable amount of memory?

avast 8/9 only has two processes that run in realtime..

here is a screenshot of "task manager", on my computer, with avast 9 installed..

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

Under 10MB... nice.
cnm
join:2002-10-17
Sunnyvale, CA

cnm

Version 9.0.2006 is very buggy on Windows 7 for at least two of us. Voice doesn't work, autoupdates don't seem to happen, PC sometimes hangs, etc. I regretfully uninstalled and am waiting for next release. I loved Avast the way it was. Why did Avast (temporarily I hope) ruin a great AV?

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26

hayc59 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

WTH happened to this lite and great AVP...............it's become this bloated pig that wants to take over your computer?

20 bloody minutes to install all the hidden crap
and then it allows the offer tool that I've blocked for over a year,and what the hell is this new instub.exe ?

They think that this new look is better.........it's mickey mouse compared to the old one.
15 bloody processes.
Time to look for another alternative.

This is exactly why I went back to Outpost Security Suite
and lovin ever minute of it

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

1 recommendation

jadinolf

Premium Member

And I'm using NOD 32.

I whined about the bloat way back when on the avast! forum. Said something like "this is no longer and antivirus program- it's now a toy!"

By the way, I love NOD32 and have licenses thru 2015.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to art22gg

to art22gg
Avast is amazing and has saved me from a lot of web viruses. When I have money I am buying the full version.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
I have noticed (at least on my two machines) that this new Avast does not let you know when it has successfully received updated definitions. (via the sexy female voice) I actually liked hearing it, knowing it is working. I go to look to see what the latest version is and it does indeed get updates (so it says) but no notification. Even the box that pops up does not say it has been updated. All it says is something about tips on how to be safe on facebook...nothing about your definitions have been updated.
So...whats up with that?? I know my settings are set for voice and popups.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Click for full size
Ya and there's no way to disable that annoying Facebook tip either...........I have all community crap unchecked and yet it appears at will.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to Robotics

Premium Member

to Robotics
It's a known bug.
»forum.avast.com/index.ph ··· 137045.0

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Thanks Dustyn
Robotics

Robotics to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Yes, I noticed that too. Hopefully in time these little bugs will work themselves out
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
What annoying facebook tip? I don't think I have it.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
My Avast said (sexy female voice) it has updated just now. And no FB tip.
Looks like they corrected it

Good job!

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Yup same here...........Ist I've seen.

Still like the green popup better...........these are ugly white.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Yes, I liked the green popup myself. Suppose I can get used to this

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE