Shag Diesel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
Patrick Afb, FL

2 edits

skyjock41

Premium Member

Synology 1812

My question is with the 8 bay Synology 1812. I have got (2) WD 3TB Red drives.

Can I start using this NAS with Synology SHR technology with just 2 harddrives and add more when the time comes?

I know the software asks for 1 or 2 disks (when you have 4 total HD's) for data protection, and its obvious if im only starting with 2 HD's that 1 is my choice. Am I hindering myself down the road by not starting with more than 2 disks?

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

If you use Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR), you can add drives down the road at any time. However, if you add a drive, it has to be the same size or larger as the last drive that you added to the array. So if you start with two 3TB drives, you can't add a 2TB drive later. You can add a 3TB drive or a 4TB drive though.

»forum.synology.com/wiki/ ··· _RAID%3F

skyjock41
Shag Diesel
Premium Member
Patrick Afb, FL

skyjock41

Premium Member

Thanks. I am waiting to find a better price on the WD 3TB Red drives. The 2 I got so far cost me $122 each, which isnt terrible but with Black Friday and hollidays looming I am sure they will be sub $100. Plan is to run (8) of these drives....all 3TB.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to skyjock41

Premium Member

to skyjock41
Man! That'll be a heck of a storage array.

I have a little Synology DS213j myself, two-bay, with two 2TB Hitachis. In this configuration, SHR effectively operates as RAID 1. At some point when 4TB drives get cheaper I will upgrade, but right now I'm only using about half the storage.

skyjock41
Shag Diesel
Premium Member
Patrick Afb, FL

skyjock41

Premium Member

Yeah, it is total overkill right now. Was thinking about the 5 bay 1512 but it was only like $150 cheaper. So I bit the bullet and got the big one. Dont have to worry about expansion issues down the road.

Need a place for our pictures and to host my movie collection (plex/roku 3). This thing will handle that with ease.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Now the question becomes: Where will you backup all that data?

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to skyjock41

Premium Member

to skyjock41
Amazon Glacier? Hope you have decent upload speed on site!

skyjock41
Shag Diesel
Premium Member
Patrick Afb, FL

skyjock41

Premium Member

Have a 60/5 connection. My 5 up should handle my needs when im on the road and wanna stream from it. As far as in home everything is on the network cat5e. Only thing wireless is the cell phone connecting to the router.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to HarryH3

MVM

to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

Now the question becomes: Where will you backup all that data?

That's a good question.

When my old HP EX490 server went down I was able to fix it but before I could do so I was reasonably sure all my data was there on the drives, and indeed it was,...

I built a new server in haste and installed Microsoft Server 2012 Essentials on it which I have come to really like. It currently has about ~25TB of storage (mostly 2, 3 and 4TB HDD). With thin provisioning, Microsoft Storage Spaces and virtual pools I'm basically backing up all the important data like photos, documents and home movies with resiliency. However, I've found that my HD recorded TV collection is just too massive for effective resiliency / redundancy.

I'd like to come up with some kind of plan to address this but ~90% of the HD recorded TV on the new server was restored from the old server so I wouldn't lose everything even if the new server went down.

skyjock41
Shag Diesel
Premium Member
Patrick Afb, FL

skyjock41

Premium Member

I was debating for days on building my own server or going with synology.....cause lets face it.......for $800 bucks I spent of the 1812 I can build a server with better specs. The real selling point for me was all the rave reviews of the synologys software. I havent gotten a chance to test it out yet but most people seem to be blown away by it.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

I have an older model Synology (411j+) and I have to say that the software makes it so easy to run a a music server / file storage / etc. that I would happily recommend it to anyone who wants a "plug & play" NAS solution.

NefCanuck