spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Anon2938349
@optonline.net

Anon2938349

Anon

[Need Info] Question about civilian job at NYPD

I have an interview for IT job at NYPD this week. I live in Brooklyn and the job is in Queens. The drive is 23 miles each way, no tolls/fees. Public transportation is not a real option (2 hours each way).

I am trying to estimate my transportation expenses and taking IRS allowance of $0.56/mile this comes out to $25.76/day (only using this as an estimate, I will not be able to tax-deduct this). As far as I understand this includes gas and wear and tear. Please correct me if this estimate is wrong. All I know for sure that my car does about 15 mpg in the city, so 3 gallons per round trip @ $3.80/gallon = $11.4/day just for the gas.

Considering 22 work days/month this comes down to $566.72/month, which is a lot of money. I understand I will not be able to tax-deduct this because I would be an employee.

Is there some kind of allowance/compensation for this kind of commute expenses?

Another question: would I have to be a member of some union (Police or city employees union?)? What does it involve? Membership fees?

Is there still defined pension plan for new civilian city employees? I think I've read somewhere that everyone is being moved to 401K plans.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

If you are not C2C or 1099, you would be W2 employee. Last I checked, employers only offer mileage reimbursement for work-related trips, not to/from job.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to Anon2938349

Premium Member

to Anon2938349
$11.4/day just for the gas

If you want to look at this another way, I pay $12 a day to take the express bus round trip to and from work (granted I get transitchek and most of that comes out before tax).

Metro North and LIRR riders spend a bit more I think depending on where they live.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe to Anon2938349

Premium Member

to Anon2938349
Easy solution. Get the job and then move to queens.

Amoris692001
This thread is worthless without pics
Premium Member
join:2003-08-18
Brooklyn, NY
Netgear CM500

Amoris692001

Premium Member

said by MuDvAyNe:

Agree. It's better to have a job and pay commuting expenses than to not pay and be unemployed.

I live in BK and have been working in NJ for almost 5 years.

Anon2938349
@optonline.net

Anon2938349

Anon

said by Amoris692001:

said by MuDvAyNe:

Agree. It's better to have a job and pay commuting expenses than to not pay and be unemployed.

I live in BK and have been working in NJ for almost 5 years.

OP here.

I completely agree that having a job is better than not having it.

However, its not just about money. Even though I own a car I just hate driving, especially every day to work like that. I used to work in Long Island for about a a year and a half and I just couldn't stand it (40 mile drive each way). Never had to drive to work before but 3 months after this job started I knew it wouldn't last.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

I feel your pain. As much as I dislike taking the train to work due to the crowding and frequent delays, it's still better than stop-and-go traffic and cheaper than gas, tolls and possibly parking.

Anon2938349
@optonline.net

1 recommendation

Anon2938349

Anon

said by tired_runner:

I feel your pain. As much as I dislike taking the train to work due to the crowding and frequent delays, it's still better than stop-and-go traffic and cheaper than gas, tolls and possibly parking.

OP here again.

Long story short - I took the job. There are no tolls and parking there is free. And there is this thing called pension . And job stability seems to be better than is some "state of the art hedge fund".
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

No doubt about that

Congratulations

PsiReaper
Walk Softly And Carry A Big Mind.
join:1999-08-30
Henderson, NV

PsiReaper to Anon2938349

to Anon2938349
I'll echo those who mentioned it. Get the job and move closer to the job. If I remember correctly, being a full time employee for NYPD is excellent. The department pays into NYPERS. You get a decent pension after working a minimum of 20-25 years.

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium Member
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY

ROCINANTE to Anon2938349

Premium Member

to Anon2938349
Just adding a little more information on commuting expenses. You are correct, they are not tax deductible if you are driving from your home to your main place of business and vice versa. The other condition is that if your employer reimburses you for the full .56 per mile, you cannot deduct the travel. However, if you have to drive from your main place of business to another location during your work day to conduct business, then that mileage is tax deductible. This does not include mileage for going out for lunch, of course.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to PsiReaper

Premium Member

to PsiReaper
said by PsiReaper:

The department pays into NYPERS.

NYCERS
AVD

AVD

Premium Member

and of course tier 6 isn't as good as it used to be. and NYCERS is 100% employee contributions.

bhan261
join:2001-02-12
New York, NY

bhan261 to Anon2938349

to Anon2938349
Congrats and good luck with the new job. Maybe you could start looking for someone to carpool with.