spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Lara___
@rogers.com

Lara___

Anon

boxes, boxes...BOXES...

I find myself having one box for the phone, one modem for internet, one router, two tvtop boxes at each tv for cable.... had to send a fax and... had to pull out an old modem so that my old pc could connect to the phone line to send it: ANOTHER BOX and every single one with its own adapter skimming electricity 24/7.
Anyone knows of a way to reduce the clutter? does it exist a single box that can do at least cable+internet+phone?

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

said by Lara___ :

Anyone knows of a way to reduce the clutter? does it exist a single box that can do at least cable+internet+phone?

But what about Rogers? Poor starving Rogers. How will they survive? What will they ever do without their multimillion dollar rental fee income if we get rid of all the BOXES ???.......

ACTUALLY if it wasn't for the greedy little pigs encrypting every single one of their digital channels, you could plug the coax straight into your LED TV w/digital tuner like the old days on analog.............
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to Lara___

to Lara___
I do know that when I take my little winter break in Florida, the house I use, which has Comcast, does use the same box (modem) for both Home Phone and Internet! The beauty of this modem is that it has a battery backup, so in the event of a power loss, you will still have both phone and Internet service (provided of course you also have a battery powered device). I am sure that Rogers could do this if they wanted to! Cable does have a separate box, and this was so far superior to what we get with Rogers that I am at a loss for words - other than we get what Rogers wants to give us - too bad, so sad!
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by Lara___ :

ACTUALLY if it wasn't for the greedy little pigs encrypting every single one of their digital channels, you could plug the coax straight into your LED TV w/digital tuner like the old days on analog.............

So protecting your services from theft is now considered greed?

As for the OP there is no way to reduce the clutter as Rogers only allows their equipment to be used on the cable network.

There are modems that have an EMTA built in for home phone as well but Rogers is very big on marketing their home phone product as something that is not VoIP so I highly doubt they will every implement an all in one unit.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by yyzlhr:

Hey old friend. Long time no hear. Anyhoo, it's simply ludicrous to drop close to a grand on a high end TV and be forced to use one of Rogers broken down Nextbox 3.0's when your newly purchased set has a high end factory tuned tuner collecting dust from no use.

It's not like that many people are sneaking around splicing cable behind the neighbor's back..............except for losers of course. Anybody that can drop a pile of cash on a LED TV aint going to be bothered stealing cable I'm sure.

Even folks on a budget would be hard pressed to stoop THAT low...............
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by elitefx:

said by yyzlhr:

Hey old friend. Long time no hear. Anyhoo, it's simply ludicrous to drop close to a grand on a high end TV and be forced to use one of Rogers broken down Nextbox 3.0's when your newly purchased set has a high end factory tuned tuner collecting dust from no use.

It's not like that many people are sneaking around splicing cable behind the neighbor's back..............except for losers of course. Anybody that can drop a pile of cash on a LED TV aint going to be bothered stealing cable I'm sure.

It's not so much about splicing the cable and sharing it with your neighbour as that is pretty rare. Leaving channels unecrypted would allow customers to receive channels they don't subscribe to. Why would I pay Rogers for HBO or why would i pay for the VIP package to get AMC if I knew Rogers wasn't going to enforce their own subscriptions through encryption? If you don't like Rogers equipment you can go with Bell Fibe, Bell Satellite, Shaw Direct or cut the cord all together.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by yyzlhr:

If you don't like Rogers equipment you can go with Bell Fibe, Bell Satellite, Shaw Direct or cut the cord all together.

Good call. Going with Shaw Direct very shortly soon as I see what the Feds come up with tomorrow. That will be a channel package changer for sure.

Either which way, going to satellite and definitely not Bell.......

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to Lara___

Mod

to Lara___
Integrated phone and internet boxes exist. Integrated internet modems and routers exist.

Rogers chose the path of separate phone and internet because of early interoprability issues. Rogers phone adapter works on different channels from the internet.

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

Exidor to Lara___

Premium Member

to Lara___
Having integrated "boxes" can complicate troubleshooting system issues too, esp. e.g. modem/router combinations.

A failed function of an integrated "big box" might require replacing the whole "big box" instead of just replacing a "small box" that controls the particular failed function. (I suppose the cost/inconvenience would depend on whether you rent or own those "boxes" as well.)

I am old school in that my home audio system has a separate pre-amp, amp, EQ, tuner, turntable, disc player and speakers instead of one big (boom?) "box".
nicko687
join:2010-06-11
Kanata, ON

nicko687

said by Exidor:

I am old school in that my home audio system has a separate pre-amp, amp, EQ, tuner, turntable, disc player and speakers instead of one big (boom?) "box".

Turntable? What about a dual cassette deck?
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to Exidor

to Exidor
said by Exidor:

Having integrated "boxes" can complicate troubleshooting system issues too, esp. e.g. modem/router combinations.

This is exactly the issue with the current gateway modems. If you have connection issues, Rogers cannot even begin to diagnose unless they know if you are using a direct Ethernet connection or a wifi connection. Since the wifi connection is often garbage, maybe it would better if Rogers simply offered a good stand alone D3 modem with customers choosing their own solid 3rd party router!

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

Exidor to nicko687

Premium Member

to nicko687
One box to fit them all!

The 1950 Dumont Winchester entertainment console is a rare model. It has a tuner for channels 2-6, and 7-13, in addition to FM and AM band. There is a clock that can be set to record the audio from the tv, am or fm on a reel-to-reel tape recorder. There is a three speed turntable to play records at 33, 45 and 78 revolutions per minute. The largest picture tube in 1950 was about 13 inches, where this is a uniquely sized at 23 inches.

»www.rosevillehistorical. ··· sic.html

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to Lara___

Premium Member

to Lara___
Internet + Phone, yes. You're always going to have a box on your television, until the cableco's start selling their own televisions.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to Lara___

to Lara___
Personally, I'd rather keep end user terminals for separate services, separate. All in ones are always just silly and consumers will always dimwittedly choose convenience over logic.

If you're all in one goes pooch, it takes all the services attached with it until you get a replacement.