All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

[Parts Check] Shout I build a new gaming PC???

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Next Tax season if I get enough back on my taxes I'm thinking I might want to build a newer custom gaming desktop. I'm not sure if I should or not because I spent $1,200 on this build.

This is my current gaming desktop:

1) CPU: AMD FX-8120
2) Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
3) RAM: 16Gbytes DDR3 PC3-10700
4) Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6870
5) Storage: 2TB Hard Disk Drive 7200RPM SATA III 6Gb/s
6) Card Reader/Writer: 12-in-1 Digital Media Card
7) Optical: Pioneer BDR-2207 Blu-ray Writer
8) Case: iBUYPOWER Xion Echo Desktop Green Chassis

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Solid state drive + 7000 series graphics card. You'll be ok.
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

I go for the cheaper Hard Disk Drives because you can get a single 2TB, 3TB, and even a 4TB Hard Disk Drive. I go for the storage over speed.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Are you having problems with games?? As far as gaming goes replacing the video card would be the first thing to do. The 6870 isn't a horrible gaming card. Do you really need to have ultra details, or do you just have money burning a hole in your pocket. Just make sure if you do that you're not just buying something only a little better than what you already have, and that won't be cheap.

An ssd would make the os, and games load faster, that's it. I wouldn't make the gamers necessarily perform any better unless you still play things like Wow.. They are not necessary, and once something is in memory it can't run any faster.
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

No I am not having any problems with any games so far. Wow works just fine on my computer. So I don't need a newer built gaming computer???
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

"No I am not having any problems with any games so far. Wow works just fine on my computer. So I don't need a newer built gaming computer???"

No, what you have is fine.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

I go for the cheaper Hard Disk Drives because you can get a single 2TB, 3TB, and even a 4TB Hard Disk Drive. I go for the storage over speed.

It is not either/or. If you want a huge upgrade, put a boot SSD in the computer (minimum 250GB) and use the mechanical HDD as a data drive.

That said your current upgrade looks fine--if anything, you could throw an SSD in it and upgrade to a new GPU (like Mike said, the Radeon 7000s are on sale right now as the newest generation just dropped).

But if you aren't having any slowdowns, and you're happy with it, keep things as they are.