uniqs

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

[Wired] EA2700 - Can not access Modem as 192.168.100.1

Click for full size
Trace Table
Note: I had posted this on the Cisco Forum and it was suggested to post here (even though the router is a Cisco Router).

I just replaced my BEFSR41 with a EA2700. I can no longer access the Web Page of the Modem as 192.168.100.1 (something that was working wiith the old router). All I did was power everything off, swap the connections and power back up. I have connection to the Modem or I would not be able to get out to the Internet but the modem is not responding to the request. What is going wrong?

Here is the traceroute (hop 2 should be the modem as it is with the BEFSR41). The table is similar on the BEFSR41 except for the lack of the 192.168.3.1 WiFi Guest Network.

time=2013-10-15 23:30:18 -0400
Hop Sent Rcvd Seconds IP Address Name
1 YYY YYY 0.003 192.168.1.1 linksys.rarpsl.com
2 YYY NNN
3 YYY NNN
30 YYY NNN

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

If your modem is in "bridge mode," you may not be able to access your modem, just your router. Is it in bridge mode?

RARPSL
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

How do I tell if my modem is in bridge mode? The connection is Computer->Router(EA2700 or BEFSR41)->Modem->Internet. Note that when I am using the BEFSR41 I can see the Modem's Pages (and the modem via Traceroute) while with the EA2700 the modem can not be accessed. Nothing is changed in the hookup except which router I use. I plan to put the BEFSR41 back today just to get a screen shot of the Routing Table and a TraceRoute. The EA2700 will then go back since I need its WiFi.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

1 edit

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Took post down for I made a mistake and the information was not correct in the post.

RARPSL
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

Click for full size
EA2700

BEFSR41
said by lordpuffer:

The only way that you could see if the modem is in bridge mode is to look at the modem pages, which it seems you can only do by using the BEFSR41. When a modem is in bridge mode (I have one in bridge mode connected to an E4200v2), it allows your router to do all of the router functions (WiFi, etc) instead of the modem.

Once it is in bridge mode, there is no real need for you to look at the modem pages (there is a way, but it takes a little work). So look at: »support.linksys.com/en-u ··· s/EA2700 and download the User Guide. There should be a section on bridging. With your BEFSR41 hooked up so that you can see the modem pages, put the modem in bridge mode. Then hook up the EA2700, and configure it so that you will have both wireless and WiFi coming from the EA2700.

Again, you really shouldn't have to look at the modem pages again once you do this. However, you can if you need to, it would just take a little work.

Edit: If you are on a Mac, make sure you are using Safari to look at both the modem and the router pages. It will work with other browsers, although Safari is a better bet for it on a Mac.

I have looked at that bridging section and it has to do with using two routers chained together. This is not my configuration. I have one router (either the EA2700 or the BEFSR41) between the computer and the modem. Note that the modem's pages are accessable with the BEFSR41 (and the modem can be seen via traceroute) but not when the EA2700 replaces the BEFSR41. Thus it looks to me like there is some setting that differs between the two routers which is the cause.

Here is the BEFSR41 Traceroute and I have attached the two Routing Tables.

time=2013-10-16 10:53:29 -0400
Hop Sent Rcvd Seconds IP Address Name
1 YYY YYY 0.001 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.1
2 YYY YYY 0.001 192.168.100.1 192.168.100.1

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Sorry, I made an error in my prior post. I should have said to look at your Modem User Guide how to bridge the Modem. Yes, the Router User Guide would only tell you how to bridge to another Router. My mistake. I don't know what kind of Modem you have, so you could look at the User Guide for your Modem on how to bridge it. I wanted you to bridge it for that will allow you to use the EA2700 instead of the Modem for Wifi, etc. I assumed that was your main objective. It will not be the solution to access the Modem pages with the EA2700.

I understand your situation. The reason that I thought your Modem may be in bridge mode is because my Modem is in bridge mode and I cannot access my Modem pages either. However, I have no need to.

Let's let someone more knowledgable than I am help you. I wouldn't give up, for it should not be too hard to solve.

RARPSL
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

said by lordpuffer:

Sorry, I made an error in my prior post. I should have said to look at your Modem User Guide how to bridge the Modem. Yes, the Router User Guide would only tell you how to bridge to another Router. My mistake. I don't know what kind of Modem you have, so you could look at the User Guide for your Modem on how to bridge it. I wanted you to bridge it for that will allow you to use the EA2700 instead of the Modem for Wifi, etc. I assumed that was your main objective. It will not be the solution to access the Modem pages with the EA2700.

I understand your situation. The reason that I thought your Modem may be in bridge mode is because my Modem is in bridge mode and I cannot access my Modem pages either. However, I have no need to.

Let's let someone more knowledgable than I am help you. I wouldn't give up, for it should not be too hard to solve.

I will look at my Modem User Guide (It is an Arris TM822G) to see about Bridging. As I have stated, the modem pages ARE accessible via the BEFSR41 so that to me points at the router not the modem as the cause. As to WiFi it works NOW with the EA2700 along with the wired Ethernet ports.

IOW: Everything is working except the ability to display the Modem Menus/Status Displays. There is one other problem I am having with the EA2700 (for which I have an open thread here that no one has responded to). My 101Mbs Internet connection gets just under the provisioned 101Mbps (I get around 95+Mbs) with the BEFSR41 while the EA2700 tops out at 45Mbs. This is Ethernet not the WiFi so I should be getting the same speeds as the BEFSR41 (even better speeds since the EA2700 has Gigabot not 100Base-T LAN and WAN ports). Direct connection to the Modem, BTW, gets 115Mbs (the connection is over provisioned to insure the promised speeds).

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I'm glad that most things are working now, but the wired speed at 45Mbs on a 101Mbs connection is not good. It must be a setting in the EA2700 that needs to be changed. I don't know what is causing that to happen. The only thing that I can think of is that your MTU setting in the EA2700 is wrong. Regarding the ability to access your Modem pages with the EA2700, that's still a mystery.

This forum used to be pretty busy, but it seems to have really slowed down recently. That's probably why nobody has replied to your open thread. There were some pretty knowledgeable people here. Hopefully they will be back and can help more than I can.
lordpuffer

lordpuffer to RARPSL

Premium Member

to RARPSL
It looks like you had the same issue with the BEFSR41:

»[OOL] Can not access modem page as 192.168.100.1

Can't you duplicate what you did in that thread to solve the issue?

RARPSL
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

said by lordpuffer:

It looks like you had the same issue with the BEFSR41:

»[OOL] Can not access modem page as 192.168.100.1

Can't you duplicate what you did in that thread to solve the issue?

While I could chain the EA2700 to the BEFSR41 as I did with my old WiFi router I rather just go with the EA2700 standalone (especially since the BEFSR41 has been promised to someone who needs a router just like I already gave away the WiFi router). I tried making a static router to the Modem's 192.168.100/24 address and although the definition got an error the route was added to the route table and can now see the modem. This solves the more minor problem with the EA2700. It still is throttling me back to the 30-40Mbs range on Ethernet while the BEFSR41 was able to get my full 100Mbs provisioned speed (in the high 90Mbs range). I posted a separate problem report here and go no suggestions. I think it is about time to go to the source and call Cisco/Linksys.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to RARPSL

Premium Member

to RARPSL
I suggest that you check for firmware updates to the EA2700 and then power down both the router and modem. Then, power on one at a time and let it stabilize for a minute or two, then power on the other. I usually power up my modem first and then router but you could try either one first.