spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cat666

join:2013-04-26

Farm

Just thought I'd give you guys the heads up about the farm at Halfhill. I've been flying around gathering Ghost Iron for a month for the Living Steel / Engineering Energy thing and also trying to find a load of Windwool cloth for the Celestial Cloth cooldown under the misguided impression that the farm is only good for herbs/motes of harmony. On a whim I decided to use my multiple farms (I have 3 toons with it fully unlocked) for ores and cloth, just to supplement my other farming. The results were astounding.

Ore wise, I get enough trillium per farm for roughly 4-5 trillium bars and enough ghost iron for 8-10 ghost iron bars. This is a sliver away from a Living Steel and the Engineering Energy Source. 2 x ore farms nets me plenty of mats to go round, with enough ghost iron bars for another 1-2 trillium transmutes.

Cloth wise it really is amazing, I've no idea if it's because I'm a tailor but each farm nets me 1-2 bolts of cloth (farmed up) and enough cloth to make 15-18 more bolts. That's more than enough for the daily cooldown!

Just incase you're interested in the other seeds, the motes are the same every day and you only get 1 per plant, so 1.6 spirits a day. The only other one I've done is the herbs (I don't have a leatherworker) and you get around 6 golden lotus every day. I used to do 3 x herb farms but gave up when I filled an alts bank with the things. I still have 150 x golden lotus for a rainy day and sold the rest (at least 200+).

Given current prices, if you wanted to do it soley for profit, the ores are probably the way to go. Trillium is expensive currently and with roughly 20 ores per farm per day, it's some nice cash.

Goldheart

join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM
kudos:1
Aye I have 5 farms myself so far. I use 3 for herbs - primary for golden lotus and secondarily herbs for milling. The other 2 I do half ore and half SoH.

Golden Lotus on Ravencrest currently is selling for 60-70 gold a pop. I use these for alchemy and transmutes instead of selling them though.

The ore I use for trillium and living steel transmutes. The SoH are to help with the jewelcrafting primal diamond conversion and blacksmithing daily ore. Ghost iron goes for prospecting.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to cat666
I'm going to have to give those another shot, then. Got tired of farming herbs on up to 5 toons so let 3 of them pretty much sit there. I think I did it once or twice early on, but it wasn't really worth the effort. Now I too, am overflowing in herbs. I have noticed my cloth income (from alts and such) has slowed down this patch. Barrens dropped a crapload of cloth, and now I'm getting a crapload of leather (not that I don't have a decent stockpile of Magnificent Hides already). So feeding my engineer (main), blacksmith and alchemist with ore for transmutes/whatever and the tailor with cloth will be good.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

cat666

reply to cat666
I asked my leatherworking friend how the seeds worked out and he hasn't tried them! I'd give them a go myself but I need the ores currently, especially as I may have to miss a few days with the Hallows End mount farm about to start.

I really should level my leatherworker but the mats are so expensive and I never can be bothered to farm them myself.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
I've found that the cloth, planted by a tailor at least, seems to have the best return. I get almost a full stack of bolts from 16 plots. Other than that I was planting the songbells to make gear, but that turned pointless after 5.4.

I've just been planting the rep crops and have most of my horde set working on the Shadow Pan, when I get close to the end I do the quests and finish it off.

If you have an alchemist I can't recommend the ore as you can do better faster with a little farming, pretty much the same with leather. I have about 960 leather just waiting to be transmuted into hides. Had a big stash of hides when 5.4 dropped, even after making two bags to solve my inventory problems I still had at least a week's worth left.

After you have all of the Tillers as best friends the "normal" crops will drop the "special seeds" instead of the friend gifts. This is the main reason I was working on getting them all to be best friends on my toons.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

cat666

said by Kilroy:

If you have an alchemist I can't recommend the ore as you can do better faster with a little farming

I disagree here.

Every day I was farming 140 ghost iron ore. 10 bars for the engineering energy source, and 60 to transmute into trillium for the Living Steel. I'll admit it wasn't slow, I was done in 15-20 mins plus another 5 flying to a forge/smelting it all. The farm takes 5 minutes if that, and I'll almost always have 3-5 trillium bars and 8-10 ghost iron bars by the end of it. Plus the forge is between the farm and the inn and without the masses of ghost iron, smelting is far quicker. Even with swapping to a second toon, and doing it all over again, I'm done far quicker than if I farmed the ghost iron myself.

Currently my 3rd farm is doing cloth, but I am getting so much of it I can afford to stop for a couple of days. I will probably do 3x ores for a few days to get a stockpile of trillium. My 4th farm is still only 12/16 open but should be done in 2 days, and that will again be for ores only as I need to make all the JC mounts after the engineering pets/1st mount this expansion.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
reply to cat666
IMO the farms were one of the best new features of MoP. I hope they continue into the next xpac and are expanded upon.

Gan

join:2009-04-10
Taiwan
reply to cat666
Thanks, I will definitely try this. I abandoned my farm long ago after burning out on the dailies and rep grind.

Beardsley

join:2008-11-27
reply to cat666
I tried the leather seeds last night. Logged in this morning and I got 73 exotic leather from the 16 plants. Was hoping for some hide but no luck. Does anyone know if you can get hide or is it exotic only?

cat666

said by Beardsley:

I tried the leather seeds last night. Logged in this morning and I got 73 exotic leather from the 16 plants. Was hoping for some hide but no luck. Does anyone know if you can get hide or is it exotic only?

I'm not sure, I've never really had to deal with leatherworking. Doesn't seem a lot though, when compared to the masses of cloth you get.

Carpie

united state
reply to Beardsley
Exotic leather only.

Beardsley

Cheers Carpie Shame that, need 2 hides a day for the higher quality leather 'transmute'.

Carpie

united state
Very true, and the hides are fetching a great price on the AH for the gold makers right now because of it. In fact when you posed the question, I assumed you were asking because you were looking to post the hides on the AH and may have not even been a leather worker.
--
Absolution -- MSV: 6/6 0/6H -- HoF: 4/6 -- ToES: 4/4 -- ToT: 12/12 -- SoO: 8/14F 4/14
Pride and Ego -- MSV: 6/6 1/6H -- HoF: 6/6 -- ToES: 4/4 -- ToT: 12/12 -- SoO: 8/14F */14

Carpie

united state
reply to Beardsley
Hmm... seems I lied Beardsley because I just got a hide out of my farm.

Beardsley

Thats great! I hadn't bothered with the farm for leather again as its easier just to pop to Timeless Isle with my skinner and skin the load of turtles left on the beach. I'll get back on it if theres chance of a hide. Thanks for the info!

join:2013-07-08
MA
reply to Beardsley
said by Beardsley:

Cheers Carpie Shame that, need 2 hides a day for the higher quality leather 'transmute'.

Yea 70 leather a day for the new one. If you get 73 a day that's your daily.

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to cat666
I use mine for leather almost everyday, I get about 70-75 per day which gives me 2 hides from the daily use (20) and one of the unlimited (50) to make a hardened free each time. My other toons have used it for cooking mats to level skill and to sell on AH. I should use it on my farm alt for herbs since I have not had much luck in finding golden lotus nodes lately.
--
Heghlu'meh qaq jajvam!

Carpie

united state
The farm is nice for GLs. 5-9 a day on average.

cat666

reply to cat666
I used to use mine for GL too. I have a massive (like 350+) stack of every other MoP herb left over from this time. My plan is to either get an addon and sell glyphs with them, or just stick the raw mats up. I need to make a decision soon though as I don't want to miss the current boon, but likewise want to wait until my realm is connected.