how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jldodge

join:2013-10-16
Duluth, GA

Networking Actiontec Modem with Dlink Wireless Router

I have a network using a Linksys switch connected to a Dlink DIR855 wireless router which is connected to a DSL modem. My original modem (Westell white casing) died and is being replaced by an Actiontec GT701D.

My PC plus external drives are connected to the Linksys switch. Our laptops, iPads, iPhones connect to the network via the Dlink router. The network worked fine and had no problems until the Westell died. I would like to connect the Actiontec strictly as a modem so that my network will operate as before. However, I cannot figure out how to adjust the settings.

When I connect my PC directly to the modem, I can access the setup but cannot connect to the Internet. When I connect the Dlink router, I can see the Dlink and my networked drives but cannot get to the modem (I changed the IP address on the Dlink router to 192.168.0.2). I did some research and found instructions to turn off the DHCP on the modem and to change the WAN setting to "RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging". It still did not work. I am using the same cables that I used with the Westell modem instead of the CAT5 cable that came with the Actiontec modem.

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks in advance.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne
Try reviewing this:
»forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=54498.0

Also try setting the router to a 192.168.1.2 address maybe...

I recommend bridging the DSL Modem if possible...Helps avoid double NAT.

jldodge

join:2013-10-16
Duluth, GA
reply to jldodge
My skills in networking technique are pretty basic. There is an option in the WAN settings to use "transparent bridging". Is that what you are referring to? If I turn off DHCP and use transparent bridging, am I essentially reducing the Actiontec modem to a basic modem (like the Westell modem was)?

I have enouugh control with my Dlink router so don't need all of the optional settings in the modem anyway.

Thanks again for any help ...

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
reply to jldodge
Yes you need to put the actiontec into bridge mode.

You'll need to input your PPPoE DSL account information, user name and PW, into the 855's Setup/Internet/Manual section, ensure Always ON is selected and reboot both modem and router.