spc
Search similar:

uniqs
NetNeut
join:2013-10-16

NetNeut

MoCa/Wireless Router Question

Hi All,

I've searched the forums but couldn't find a solution to my exact problem only slightly more complex ones. Forgive me if it is incredibly simple, and I'm missing something. I have a WNDR3400v2 Netgear router and Actiontec 2500C MoCa Adapters. In my current setup, my Comcast modem and Netgear router are restricted to one room because of how the house is wired. But I bought MoCa adapters to get a hard wire connection in other parts of the house. I have a spare adapter and got the idea to hook up the router to it to put my wireless router in another part of the house. I hooked up the MoCA adapter and modem in the room its restricted to and the spare adapter and the netgear router (through the Wan Port) in another side of the house. It didn't get access to the Internet, so I unplugged and tested with my laptop's ethernet jack. It immediately got an internet connection. Is there a setting I'm missing or overlooking on the router? Should i be using the LAN port instead?

Thanks in advance.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

Did your laptop get a public IP address or a private one?
NetNeut

NetNeut

Didn't check, I will later. What are some of the problems I could be facing whether it's a private or public IP?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to NetNeut

MVM

to NetNeut
said by NetNeut:

I hooked up the MoCA adapter and modem in the room its restricted to and the spare adapter and the

netgear router (through the Wan Port) in another side of the house. It didn't get access to the Internet, so I unplugged and

tested with my laptop's ethernet jack. It immediately got an internet connection.

First off -- read this item : »Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

2ndly, try with a plain old switch rather than a "home router / gateway."

My 00000010bits

Regards
NetNeut

NetNeut

Thanks, I'll give this a go. Question though.. Since my cable company provided modem has one Ethernet
port, would it have a user configurable panel like wireless routers do? How else would I be able to change the IP and DHCP pools?
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to NetNeut

MVM

to NetNeut
What make / model of "modem" exactly? Some ISPs just us stock firmware on the device with basic functionality.
I've seen some ISPs that customize said software and really lock down the config options.

YMMV.

Regards
NetNeut

NetNeut

It's an Arris TM502G. Just found the config page and like you said, not much in terms of options. Only allows me to see information on the modem. In light of this, I decided to hook up my old router as an AP to the MoCa adapter. It's a Belkin N100, so I know it's not true N but rather Draft N, but it'll do the trick considering it's right next to the clients that'll be accessing it. Your instructions helped greatly in setting it up! Is there any thing i should be aware of since they are two different protocols?
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE

MVM

Sorry, what was that about two different protocols? I think you lost me somewhere...

Regards

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch to NetNeut

to NetNeut
said by NetNeut:

It's a Belkin N100, so I know it's not true N but rather Draft N, but it'll do the trick considering it's right next to the clients that'll be accessing it. Your instructions helped greatly in setting it up! Is there any thing i should be aware of since they are two different protocols?

You mean draft-n versus ratified n? It depends on the manufacturer but I haven't heard of any incompatibilities. You may miss niceties like 40 MHz channels, but if it's 2.4 GHz you won't be able to operate like that anyway due to interference.

So no, you shouldn't have any issues.