share rss forum feed

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

Document scanner options for higher volume

Continuing on from this thread: »"Going Paperless"

The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 document scanner I bought for this project has been in use for about 10 months now and has just completed its 200,000th scan. This customer is now looking to set up a scan station to start converting their warehouse full of documents into searchable PDF files.

Although the Fujitsu scanner has worked fine for their current volume, it's now time to go with something that can handle larger document batches through the ADF, and scan at faster speeds. I looked over some of the recommendations in the thread I started last year but it looks like all of the scanners listed there are no longer in production.

Requirements:
- Larger ADF capacity (the S1500 held 50 pages)
- Faster scan speed (the S1500 advertised 20ppm in "Auto" mode)
- Duplex scanning
- "Regular" size - no large copy machines

This will be used to scan 300+ bankers boxes full of documents that are currently being stored in a warehouse.

I've done some basic research on Newegg but only a small amount of listings show the ADF capacity. With that being said, I'm curious what those of you with similar projects are using to scan.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

PToN
Premium
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

500 pages input tray: »business.toshiba.com/product/ind···or=Green

We have their MFPs and they only do up to 100 pages. We are very pleased with the scanning quality they provide.

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX

1 edit

That is one sweet scanner, but at ~$20k I'm afraid it's a bit too steep for my customer's budget. I think we're looking at about $2500 tops for this project.

Or if we could rent one of the fancier ones for a few months, that would be perfect...

Edit:
Just found one that I think might work:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···38110048

200 sheet ADF, duplex scanning, USB interface. Decent reviews - the negatives in an Amazon review won't affect my customer's use at all. Good price at ~$2400 shipped
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

PToN
Premium
Houston, TX

We lease them, my boss certainly didnt pony up $120K in all 5 MFPs we have. You could call them up and get a quote for a lease on that scanner... They are local in houston..

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL
reply to removed

If you are going to lease/rent, I would suggest considering a copier with this functionality. Tell them what you want it for, they deliver, do the job and they take it away.

barkode15
Premium
join:2001-12-28
usa
reply to removed

The Fujitsu fi-6130Z is twice as fast will do duplex scans. The input tray is still only 50 pages though. I've used the previous generation and they're great. Really fast and easy to use.

»www.fujitsu.com/us/services/comp···30z.html

PToN
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to mikefxu

The problem with copiers and other MFP is that the auto feed tary for scanning will only take about 100 pages, with higher end models taking up to 200..

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX
reply to removed

I ended up recommending »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···38110048 to my client. Just waiting for the accounting department to give me the green light on placing the order (aka, "do we have enough money on your corporate Amex?")

This is a fairly cheap solution compared to other scanners with this capacity, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out. Will post updates once it's in production.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

Click for full size
Don't know if you are familiar with fatwallet.com but you can get 1% cash back on newegg.com

boognish
Premium
join:2001-09-26
Baton Rouge, LA
kudos:6
reply to removed

We have a couple of canon 5010c. They have been running pretty much nonstop 7-5 for the last few years without any problems. I am not sure if that is the current model for that line of scanners or not, but I have been very happy with it and will probably look at that line again.
--
don't get 2 close 2 my fantasy

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX
reply to mikefxu

said by mikefxu:

Don't know if you are familiar with fatwallet.com but you can get 1% cash back on newegg.com

That's pretty neat. Spend $2500 and get lunch for free Thanks!
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to removed

Xerox makes some great scanners:

»www.xeroxscanners.com/en/us/prod···PN=DM752

Something like that. We also have several kodak i440.

If you are looking for the biggest of the big, look at kodak. I also have an i5600v that goes through several million pages in a month.

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX
reply to removed

said by removed:

I ended up recommending »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···38110048 to my client. Just waiting for the accounting department to give me the green light on placing the order (aka, "do we have enough money on your corporate Amex?")

This is a fairly cheap solution compared to other scanners with this capacity, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out. Will post updates once it's in production.

Ever hear someone say "you get what you pay for"? The EPSON WorkForce DS-60000 ended up being an absolute piece of junk. When scanning with the ADF, the scanner jammed constantly in the part that sends the paper through the upper 'channel', just after being scanned. I called Epson about this and was told after some troubleshooting ("did you try turning it off and on again?") by a technician with an obvious accent from the Philippines that the product is defective.

So it went back to Newegg. Two weeks later, the replacement shows up. No jams on this one. I ran about 400 scans through it during my testing and came across another problem: the damn thing thinks there's a jam inside the ADF and refuses to scan until it has been cleared. Tried everything from resetting the scanner to reinstalling drivers, using a different computer, etc. - but the nonexistent jam won't go away.

I called Epson again and spoke with someone in the Philippines again. Just like last time, absolutely no progress was made. The scanner ended up going back to Newegg for a refund. Newegg has been great to deal with, and I ended up ordering a Panasonic scanner as a replacement. More on that once it arrives...
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr