Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aravinds

join:2001-12-11
Gainesville, FL

[FL] Really Slow download Speeds in Gainesville,FL Area

Hi,

For the last week or so, I am having a real problems with the COX internet speeds in my area. The download speeds are about 1-3 Mbps and the upload speeds are 13-15 Mbps. I called COX internet tech support and they sent a technician out to my house. He came, had a look and said signal levels are good, had no idea why the speeds are slow.It is extremely frustrating.I have a cisco router DPC 3010. My signal levels look like this.
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 5.7 dBmV 32.3 dB
Channel 2: 6.2 dBmV 32.7 dB
Channel 3: 6.0 dBmV 31.9 dB
Channel 4: 4.9 dBmV 31.6 dB
Channel 5: 4.4 dBmV 31.7 dB
Channel 6: 3.8 dBmV 31.2 dB
Channel 7: 3.8 dBmV 31.4 dB
Channel 8: 3.0 dBmV 31.2 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 41.0 dBmV
Channel 2: 38.2 dBmV
Channel 3: 38.7 dBmV
Channel 4: 40.7 dBmV

Any help is appreciated
Thanks,
Aravind

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
SNR is out of D3 spec on ALL 8 channels!. should be 35 or higher.
--
Despises any post with strings.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to aravinds
Looks like your have some noise in the upper Frequencies that is occurring before the Amp I assume you have. The Amp itself might be causing the issue.

aravinds

Gainesville, FL
As far I know there is no AMP in the house, in fact there it no splitter even. The cable connects directly to the Cable modem. Also the SNR is quite low, I used to have ~40 dB on the channels before, but the Cox technician who came to my house refuses to acknowledge the fact that SNR is out of spec. He just kept repeating the signal power levels are within range and he has no idea why the speeds are so low and he said he has to refer my case to the system ( or some thing like that).

Thanks for the replies anyways,

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
See page 22 of the PDF below, official DOCSIS standards. Or for something a bit more user friendly, see second link. Was it a Cox technician or a contractor? The most likely cause of low DS SNR with high downstream power level is a bad drop or something wrong outside. If he still refuses get his tech number and ask for a Supervisor IMHO.

"Carrier-to-noise ratio in a 6 MHz band Not less than 35 dB"

»www.cablelabs.com/specifications···0121.pdf

»Cox HSI Forum FAQ »What should my modem signal levels be?

aravinds

Gainesville, FL
it was a contractor, in Gainesville they use contractors for the tech service.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
Well he can't debate DOCSIS standards. And if he tries to, get his Tech number and call back requesting a Field Supervisor. This needs to be fixed. I can't think of a way around the issue. Maybe a Cox Tech here can become involved and make sure you get someone out there that knows their arm joints from their posteriors. TT

aravinds

Gainesville, FL
reply to aravinds
It looks like Cox fixed the problem, the SNR is now 37-38 dB and the speeds are up, though not to the full level,as before. So I think the problem is solved for now.thanks for the input/comments.