join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to dennismurphy

Premium Member

to dennismurphy

Re: Anyone using iTunes Home Sharing?

said by dennismurphy:

said by Daemon:

the GUI of the Apple TV is useful, and you can wire it up with ethernet.

PAUSE!

How the F will the GUI of the Apple TV be useful to a blind guy?!?!

voiceover.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 edit

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by Daemon:

said by dennismurphy:

said by Daemon:

the GUI of the Apple TV is useful, and you can wire it up with ethernet.

PAUSE!

How the F will the GUI of the Apple TV be useful to a blind guy?!?!

voiceover.

I have doubts how useful Voiceover will be for him as he has an encyclopedic knowledge of music (he used to own radio stations). He can decide the artist & album & track in his head without resorting to any prompting. I think that Voiceover will just piss him off with its 'nanny-like' prompting.

Since he's blind (Politically correct it would be 'vision impaired'), speech recognition is preferred. This is why I want to use Siri.

What I really want is an iPad/iPod to be a voice-activated remote control for a Mac-resident iTunes library.

iTunes on iPad ~~Siri~~ Mac--->usb--->DAC--->Preamp

where
~~~ = wireless link
---> = wired link
and where 'Siri' is the end-to-end link back to Apple's speech recognition service

In reality what is required to help make this work is for Apple to let Siri understand about iTunes libraries located anywhere on a LAN (ie. Mac with the library on a NAS/SAN storage).
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

said by MaynardKrebs:

I have doubts how useful Voiceover will be for him as he has an encyclopedic knowledge of music (he used to own radio stations). He can decide the artist & album & track in his head without resorting to any prompting. I think that Voiceover will just piss him off with its 'nanny-like' prompting.

Since he's blind (Politically correct it would be 'vision impaired'), speech recognition is preferred. This is why I want to use Siri.

What I really want is an iPad/iPod to be a voice-activated remote control for a Mac-resident iTunes library.

iTunes on iPad ~~Siri~~ Mac--->usb--->DAC--->Preamp

where
~~~ = wireless link
---> = wired link
and where 'Siri' is the end-to-end link back to Apple's speech recognition service

In reality what is required to help make this work is for Apple to let Siri understand about iTunes libraries located anywhere on a LAN (ie. Mac with the library on a NAS/SAN storage).

Then I would go with an Airplay device (Airport Express, or speakers/receiver that is airplay compatible). Controlling iTunes on the mac from the iPad or iPhone doesn't support use of Siri AFAIK. However, using an airplay device will give you better fidelity plus the way you control the music will be the same as it is now.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to MaynardKrebs

MVM,

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

As kitsune See Profile said, this doesn't exist. Your best bet is switching to Apple Lossless encoding to fit as much music as possible onto the iPad (they make 128GB iPads.. If you have 600GB of uncompressed music, you could fit 1/4 or so of it on there), then get an AirPlay compatible device.

If you go the Airport Express (or AppleTV) route, a good optical DAC will meet or exceed a USB DAC.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

said by Thinkdiff:

said by MaynardKrebs:

As kitsune See Profile said, this doesn't exist. Your best bet is switching to Apple Lossless encoding to fit as much music as possible onto the iPad (they make 128GB iPads.. If you have 600GB of uncompressed music, you could fit 1/4 or so of it on there), then get an AirPlay compatible device.

If you go the Airport Express (or AppleTV) route, a good optical DAC will meet or exceed a USB DAC.

With homesharing you don't need to store it all on the iPad. You can access the library on the computer from the iPad. However, streaming it from the computer to the iPad, then airplay to the Express will tax the wireless network more. So, if he has interference issues it could be a problem. Just something to keep in mind.