share rss forum feed

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Overland Park

Overland Park made a smart move. If I was on the City Council I would have voted for the delay. What Google want was to absolved of ANYTHING that went wrong. Even if they where the party totally at fault.

If cities and towns want fiber so bad they should build their own network. I have posted this idea before but cities and towns and counties with any density at all should build a dumb pipe fiber network and then let any company connect to it to provide the service to a business or resident. The network would be like the power company provides the power line to the house and you take care of eveything past the meter.

The reason fiber has been so slow to be deployed is the cost. The telephone, power, and cable were build because they had a monopoly. If the fiber network had a monopoly even as a dumb pipe or dark fiber it would get built sooner.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
Right, because city and towns wouldnt be up against another 800lb gorilla trying to stop them now would they?

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2
reply to WhatNow
"If cities and towns want fiber so bad they should build their own network. I have posted this idea before but cities and towns and counties with any density at all should build a dumb pipe fiber network and then let any company connect to it to provide the service to a business or resident. "

Which is totally illegal in Missouri at a fine of $5k per day per household passed by the network. (And the city or county is liable for any economic losses by private companies.)

Meanwhile, all video and internet entities are authorized to cherry pick as much as they want, and have been for seven years.
--
ISCABBS - the oldest and largest BBS on the Internet
telnet://bbs.iscabbs.com
Professional Geographer
Geographic Information Science researcher

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to Skippy25
Better than being liable for any and all legal issues that could come from Google and issues.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to marigolds
Define Cherry pick- I'm sure everyone in the Charter footprint that has live wire running by it- can get service regardless if the beg for service or not. The same with Mediacom.

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

1 edit
Define service /joke. At least they're better than Comcast.

marigolds
Premium,MVM
Saint Louis, MO
reply to TBBroadband
Law specifies that a provider can be held to no standard to provide service to a specific neighborhood or percentage of households in an area.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
I know, this but Marigold said that others cherry pick as well; which is not true.

But actually in some states- Ohio including, if you wish to become a cableTV provider; you must meet a certain amount of built out. failure to do so and note that on your application, you will be denied and could be ordered to shut down.

marigolds
Premium,MVM
Saint Louis, MO
said by TBBroadband:

But actually in some states- Ohio including, if you wish to become a cableTV provider; you must meet a certain amount of built out. failure to do so and note that on your application, you will be denied and could be ordered to shut down.

Yeah, Missouri not only waives those requirements for state level franchises, but invalidated all existing requirements for franchise agreements below state level.
After this happened, AT&T, in particular, pulled out of a huge number of neighborhoods for TV (mine was one of them) and pulled or severely downgraded internet from existing deployments. Charter did as well, but not to the extent that AT&T did. Charter, instead, is allowing some neighborhoods to degrade without upgrades or repairs (since those standards were wiped out too).
--
ISCABBS - the oldest and largest BBS on the Internet
telnet://bbs.iscabbs.com
Professional Geographer
Geographic Information Science researcher

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
Internet and TV shouldn't have standards- they're not a utility. Our state franchise only takes over for new providers or when a contract with the locals expire. But at this point almost everything is moved to the state expect companies- such as BEX- has a 90year contract with many cities.

insomniac84

join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN
reply to WhatNow
said by WhatNow:

What Google want was to absolved of ANYTHING that went wrong. Even if they where the party totally at fault.

False. The language they objected to would have held the city responsible in instances where the city damaged google lines. It did not make the city responsible for all damage.

It just said the city cannot make google pay for damage the city causes.

insomniac84

join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

1 recommendation

reply to TBBroadband
Internet is as vital to electricity to people these days, stop playing dumb. The whole point of a franchise agreement is to make a company service everyone and not just cherry pick.