DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC

DaMaGeINC

Premium Member

Re: [Parts Check] Thoughts on this system

How are the asrock mobos? Never used anything other than Asus.

And will a 430w psu be enough?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I agree with asdf: Asrock, like Rosewill, has recreated itself as a solid, dependable budget brand. Anything Sandy Bridge gen or later is good, I believe. I see no need to go with an ASUS mobo other than brand preference. Your individual experience may vary, and a single DOA component is anecdotal and not a solid representation of that company's quality control.

To elaborate, it's hard to draw QC conclusions based on a one-off, but in my personal experience, I've had hell with my current gaming build using a premium ASUS mobo and high-end NZXT PSU. Having had several (3 each PSUs and mobos) units come DOA or fail shortly (1-2 months) after working, I am getting ready to avoid both Asus and NZXT. in the future. For my next build, I'd personally stick with Corsair or Seasonic PSUs and Gigabyte or EVGA mobos.

That said, I've built several computers with Asrock mobos (two Ivy Bridge) and have built three different computers with Rosewill HIVE PSUs (OT, but relevant to the brand discussion at hand). I also have the same Corsair 430w PSU in my HTPC which has been operating well for the past several years. I would go for the 500w Corsair as the cost difference is small and gives you additional headroom if you decide to add a bunch of drives, but the 430w should be sufficient..