Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[Plumbing] Auto flush urinals

This is ancient history but the middle school I went to was built in the 1920's and had a bank of 4-5 urinals (can't remember the exact number) in the boys room that would flush automatically every so often instead of having the typical Sloan valves found in a commercial restroom. The toilets did have the Sloan valves.

The urinals were piped to a tank that was constantly filling throughout the school day and there was a mechanism that caused the tank to empty and flush the urinals. I would like to know how that mechanism worked.

I myself find the concept of auto flushing urinals every so often kind of nasty. I prefer fixtures that flush after every use.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24

I vaguely remember these at a school in Minnesota. If I recall correctly, that building was built in 1931 or 32. That was over 30 years ago, so I don't remember to many details about them.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
reply to IowaCowboy

I have never seen the inside of one, but I would assume some kind of float attached to an ordinary flapper valve. When water level rises enough, float pulls up on the flapper, initiating the flush.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to IowaCowboy

They used to have those at ballparks too.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

That reminds me of the really old ballparks that had troughs. Glad those days are over.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

said by pike:

That reminds me of the really old ballparks that had troughs. Glad those days are over.

At the ball park they have individual stalls now, before it was a urinal tub.

Which has LESS efficiency(individual stalls that is) for the number of users it did have less wait time with the urinal tub(s)

now it has long lines like the womens restroom. hahhaha

talk about taking a step backwards in the restroom line efficiency....

jgriz

join:2008-12-10
Saint Charles, IL

2 recommendations

reply to IowaCowboy

It's called an "intermittent siphon". With most siphons you have to fill the hose (or tube) with water and stopper the ends to keep the water inside while you place one end in what you want to drain and unstopper it when the end is under water.

With the intermittent siphon, it is arranged so that it "self fills" the tube once the water reaches a certain level and the siphon action starts until the water is below the level of the tube inlet. My physics teacher in high school was fascinated by these things and he used to take the whole class (girls too) into the boys bathroom to watch them work.

You can google "intermittent siphon" and find lots of information but here is one link that explains it pretty well.

»www.emporia.edu/dotAsset/52f6c8f···8f04.pdf

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to IowaCowboy

But people still have to flush and in schools and public restrooms that seems to be too difficult for a lot of people...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

rjgogo

join:2003-10-22
reply to pike

have you been to Wrigley Field. Still there.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to jgriz

Thanks for the info. My elementary school was built in '70, and it had them. I think every boy in the school had climbed up there to look in the tank. I vaguely recall (either my friend or myself) blowing the ink out of a pen in hopes it would drain down. We hadn't figured out that not everything dissolves in water.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

But people still have to flush and in schools and public restrooms that seems to be too difficult for a lot of people...

If the toilet fixture (urinal) is at all modern it has a sensor, and if you stand there then move away it flushes.

Random: a rental I had in brooklyn once was clearly fitted out by a real dude. No kitchen (fridge and sink etc in the small living room), the bathroom had diamond plate on the walls. And ... it had a stand up urinal near the toilet. I've never before or after seen an apartment with a urinal before, it was quite the conversation piece. Not sure it was ever a trend except perhaps on MTV Cribs, but hey nobody could accuse me of splashing the toilet seat.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

I know about auto flushers - plenty of the old ones still around however (been around for awhile ).

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

At the ball park they have individual stalls now, before it was a urinal tub.

Which has LESS efficiency(individual stalls that is) for the number of users it did have less wait time with the urinal tub(s)

now it has long lines like the womens restroom. hahhaha

Are you talking about full-out enclosed stalls with doors, or just those little "privacy dividers" between the urinals?

TomA

@charter.com

Back in the early 60's I was in a Bar located in Montana that had nothing more than a rain gutter located around a stand up bar at the appropriate height that continued around the bar and out the wall and drained outside on the ground.

No ladies allowed!!!

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to IowaCowboy

You would be surprised here in montreal the Bell Centre (where the canadiens play) was built in 1996. It has MASSIVE washrooms (60+ urinals) I guess they wanted to cheap out on the plumbing so there is 2 of these washrooms per level. My buddy is a plumber and did a service call there he explained the setup to me. They still use the auto flush setup. 1 tank serves about 5 urinals. The main pipe feeding the washroom has a solenoid valve on it. At the end of an event the valve is turned off. So the urinals stop flushing. For the Bell Centre i guess it works out for them, no flush handles or electronic flush valves to maintain and since the building isnt in constant use they can turn the things off to conserve water.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to IowaCowboy

It's been a really long time but I seem to recall the system at the HS I attended working a little differently. It seemed the urinals were set to flush continuously during the break during classes and not at all during class. I don't recall seeing any visible tank either. The building was very old, definitely prewar but can't recall exact age.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore

join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to IowaCowboy

I remember that in one grade school, the boys room was a verticle piece of what looked like slate (it was black when wet and grayish when dry) on a wall with a sort of spillway at the bottom with a tricke of water flowing from one end. The object was to go against the slate, but a lot of the boys tried to see how far up they could wet down the slate. Some boys were impressive!

This was at P.S. 24 on Virginia Avenuse in Jersey City, New Jersey. From Google Earth, the school is still there. Renovated, I hope!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
reply to TheMG

no dividers inbetween still makes for a long damn line

tub type had very short lines
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

PX Eliezer

join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:4
Reviews:
·callwithus
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I myself find the concept of auto flushing urinals every so often kind of nasty. I prefer fixtures that flush after every use.

I used to see those around from time to time.

It would be very useful if we could have auto-flush for Congress.

wave_sailor

join:2001-04-23
reply to IowaCowboy

I go to the UK almost every Summer. It's amazing and shocking to see new bathrooms with this style of flushing mechanism. The tank is above your head too. The pipes are usually hanging out in the wide open. Quite a few don't have U-Joints either--which can be pretty smelly. Some have chases to hide the pipes. I feel like I have gone back in time.

TheMG
Premium
Canada

Depending on how busy the bathroom is, it might actually be more economical to do things this way, flushing at timed intervals instead of flushing for every single person.

invict1ve

@shawcable.net

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy

We use a similar siphon system today in septic systems to "dose" the leach field. This is a great way to serve multiple leaching fields without using pumps and power.

» siphons.com/how-siphons-work.html