spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal

Premium Member

[ipv6] Netflix inadvertantly blacklisting tunneled IPs?

Click for full size
I saw this this morning when connecting to Netflix's site (via default IPv6). My tunnel is with SixXS and hasn't changed in months, anyone else? I'm assuming I didn't wake up in another country.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

Re: [ipv6] Netflix inadvertantly blacklisting tunneled IPs?

You are probably correct about the tunnel being the cause for the blacklisting. However you are probably wrong about it being inadvertently. The problem with tunnels is that you know where you really are but Netflix can't tell and assumes that anybody using tunnels does so to hide their true location.

Cabal
Premium Member

Cabal

Premium Member

True, but SixXS in particular is very picky about their registrations and accurate WHOIS data, all requiring human confirmation. Might as well file a ticket.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to leibold

to leibold
said by leibold:

The problem with tunnels is that you know where you really are but Netflix can't tell and assumes that anybody using tunnels does so to hide their true location.

That is the case all too often with VPN tunnels but not so for IPv6 tunnels.

Cabal
Premium Member

Cabal

Premium Member

Looks like it's resolved now, that didn't take too long.
quesix
join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

1 edit

quesix to Cabal

to Cabal
lets' see Sixx.net is registered to the Netherlands.. anyway you don't want to run video streaming over an IPv6 tunnel (on connections >6mbps anyway, or with 30ms or more extra latency)... if using firefox add netflix and youtube domains to IPv4 only list. (network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains in about:config)
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

2 recommendations

34764170 (banned)

said by quesix:

lets' see Sixx.net is registered to the Netherlands.. anyway you don't want to run video streaming over an IPv6 tunnel (on connections >6mbps anyway, or with 30ms or more extra latency)... if using firefox add netflix and youtube domains to IPv4 only list. (network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains in about:config)

Where the domain is registered and where the POPs are located are two completely different issues. The address space is local to the POPs. Streaming over tunnels works fine. You know a lot of people stream content over VPNs which is the same concept. A little additional latency is not going to be an issue.

justbits
DSL is dead. Long live DSL!
Premium Member
join:2003-01-08
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

justbits to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold
It's unlikely that they're worried about your true location, as much as they are trying to maximize the usage of their localized content delivery networks. »signup.netflix.com/openconnect
If you use a tunnel, they might not be able to deliver content to you using the route that is the lowest cost to them.