share rss forum feed

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

Cloning a VM for backup

I'm testing a DR site for VM backups that aren't HA. I want to make a clone of a 2008 R2 AD domain controller that is the operations master for the domain. Will I run into any issues if I make a clone of the VM then let's say 30 days later that VM is brought online? Will downstream DCs repopulate the DR DC with correct data or will this bork the domain?
--
"All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded." - Bruce Anderson
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates
Check out my blog: »www.johndball.com

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
Is the DR site connected to your live site? You would end up with 2 DCs with the same name, different IPs and different versions of the AD database. At best the restored DC will tombstone. Most likely the network will bork. DCs are not designed to be restored that way.

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA
said by AsherN:

Is the DR site connected to your live site? You would end up with 2 DCs with the same name, different IPs and different versions of the AD database. At best the restored DC will tombstone. Most likely the network will bork. DCs are not designed to be restored that way.

Yeah, didn't think so either. I guess if the Operations Master goes tits up I'll just transfer the role to a downstream DC.

Thanks AsherN.
--
"All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded." - Bruce Anderson

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
The only proper way to restore a DC in a multi DC environment is to do a non-authoritative restore. That way you get SID, AD DB, and everything else, and the DB will effectively be overwritten with the newer copy.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to exocet_cm
And never, ever snapshot a DC and then try to bring it back. Bad things will happen.

This has changed with 2012 and is supported by Microsoft now.

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA
said by ke4pym:

And never, ever snapshot a DC and then try to bring it back. Bad things will happen.

This has changed with 2012 and is supported by Microsoft now.

No snapshots here of any of my VMs, just redundant VMs (vCenter Heartbeat, multiple SQL servers, DCs, etc).

Any way to "protect" a root CA from failure? IOW, if my root CA VM's host takes a dump, how can I protect it?
--

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
I would take a read at this article, »blogs.technet.com/b/pki/archive/···dcs.aspx

it pretty much covers everything you should need

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA
said by JB:

I would take a read at this article, »blogs.technet.com/b/pki/archive/···dcs.aspx

it pretty much covers everything you should need

Nice. Thanks!
--