Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KickingTires

@mchsi.com

[Help] Do I need to repair hail damage?

Click for full size
Click for full size
I'm looking at buying a hail damaged vehicle (07 Nissan Murano S) at a local rebuildables shop. The dents in the sheet metal body work didn't chip the paint and I'm not expecting issues with rust. My larger concern are the holes in the plastic at the top of the hatchback door.

It looks like there wouldn't be a problem with anything getting into the interior since the rubber seal is unaffected. I just wonder if there's potential issues with water getting inside the door and causing issues (like electrical issues with the tail lights).

Is it ok to leave it alone and use this as a daily driver? I don't care about the cosmetic side of things, but I wouldn't want to leave it like that if it has the potential to cause more issues. If it does need to be repaired, can it be patched up with something diy, or would it be best to take it to a body shop?

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 edit

Check the areas of concern for drain holes. They would help although keeping water out would be better. That last crack does look like it could catch water. Also, you may be able to remove that cracked piece and either pop the crack back into place and/or seal it from the inside with a smear of silicone.
I bought a dented vehicle once. It was current model year and a huge bargain. I dealt with the easy stuff and left the rest alone.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to KickingTires

There shouldn't be an issue with the holes at the top, since they are right by the opening seam anyway. As long as there isn't a split in the portion that is broken that would allow infiltration its fine, but for the one above the lamp I would at least seal that with some clear silicone. It won't be readily noticeable, and will take care of water getting inside where it doesn't need to be.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to KickingTires

What's everybody think for hail damage adjustment here on the OP's vehicle in mind? I'm thinking - $4000.00 And I don't see any cause for concern except for what mattmag pointed out.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

Judging by the dimples on that roof panel, my guess is that vehicle was a total loss, hence why it is now at a re-builder. Once you have that kind of damage to all the major surfaces, more often than not the damage exceeds the repair value.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to KickingTires

I'd recommend asking to see the title before you make an offer. If it's a salvage title then you should reduce the vehicle's value by 25% (under it's value in it's current condition).

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to KickingTires

There is the potential for windnoise at speed.
--