Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA

Cody0

Premium Member

Want to make sure I'm not missing anything - buying a new MBA

Hello all! I'm currently enjoying the 13" MBA I bought in April, but someone I know wants to buy one and it's working out so I'm just going to put some money on top of it and upgrade to the new Haswell models. I haven't seen anything about it, and I doubt it's the case since they only a few months ago released the Haswell powered ones, but I just wanted to make sure We're not expecting another product update with the MBA's in the near (by end of year) future.

My current system is the base model 1.8ghz i5/4gb/128gb and I'm looking at the 8gb/256gb, and maaaybbeee the i7 (I don't think I'd benefit $150 worth from it since I rarely use processor intensive programs, but I'm on the fence). I'm also considering the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, but am leaning toward the MBA due to OSX (I have Win8 on my desktop, and haven't used it in 2 months/don't miss it).

Also, anything else I should consider? I've thought of looking refurb, but the Haswell based MBA's aren't up there yet.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

I definitely recommend you go with the 8gb memory and 256GB storage version. The processor choice should be based on what you use your machine for or what you anticipate using your machine for...

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Cody0

MVM,

to Cody0
I would wait until next Tuesday before making a decision on a new one. While it's unlikely they'll update the 13" MBA, they may introduce some 13" MBPs or new laptops (doubt this rumor) that you may prefer.

Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
Spokane, WA

1 edit

Cody0

Premium Member

Thanks! Good call on waiting until Tuesday. I'm so busy with life right now that I haven't been following when the events are. The person isn't buying this laptop from me until the beginning of next month, so I only need to have the new one in my hands by then - though I have an old MB I can use in the interim if absolutely necessary.

Regarding the processor - I've been happy with my i5, but my laptop has completely replaced my year old desktop as my computer, so I'm just not sure if I should get the i7 as a little bit of future-proofing, or stick with the i5... I'm only currently using it for Office, mostly, but don't know if I'll be using it for anything more intensive in the future. I guess that's always the concern when buying electronics, though.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

I forgot to mention that when I was buying not quite a year ago, I considered the 13" MBA, but chose to buy a 13" MBPr...only a half pound heavier and more capable. I haven't regretted that decision one bit.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to buckingham

Premium Member

to buckingham
said by buckingham:

I definitely recommend you go with the 8gb memory and 256GB storage version. The processor choice should be based on what you use your machine for or what you anticipate using your machine for...

my opinion is, if you are going to spend all that extra money on those things, you might as well spend the extra $150 (or whatever) and just get the i7...it seems silly to upgrade so much of the unit, and leave the processor as is.

Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
Spokane, WA

Cody0

Premium Member

Click for full size
Re: MBPr - my laptop is mostly used for Microsoft office (I'm a Doctor of Pharmacy candidate) in class, and hooked up to my Samsung monitor when on my desk in my modest setup at home (considering moving to a 27" since I'm single monitor now that I'm using a laptop). I considered the MBPr, but I wouldn't benefit from the increased resolution as much as I will from the additional battery time. I also just want the Haswell chip, which I don't see as available on the MBPr. Silly, I know, since the MBP's are clocked higher anyway - but I want the HD5000 graphics for the occasional game I'll play on it (my loaded desktop is probably crying at that statement). Good thinking, though. I really appreciate the input !

I'm thinking just go with the i7 and not lose any sleep over it. You're right; I'd rather go a little higher than I need - I won't miss that money in a few months and I'd rather have it and not need it than vice versa, down the line. This laptop is going to get me through the rest of my degree. I already skimped by going 128gb/4gb with this computer and regretted it.
Cody0

Cody0

Premium Member

...Well today's release changes everything. Sigh. Haha With 9 hours and the Iris graphics on the 13" MBPr only $100 more than the MBA I'm leaning toward that now... Looks like I need to reconsider! Glad I held out for the event today, thanks for the advice!