uniqs

DJ
Premium Member
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL

DJ

Premium Member

symetrical

Choice, Ultra and Speed can be made symetrical for $15 more. For this region these prices are awesome. Portions of Opelika & Auburn already have limited competion from Knology/WOW, and prices/speeds are nothing impressive from these providers. AT&T is stuck at 6Mbps for the same price as the 30/15 from OPS.

For the power user this is the way to go for a very reasonable price.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

But as prices are at their current- and now the extra $15 more, Charter is in line if not a better deal for the 30meg package. Also this city is going up against providers that can wipe them out basically over night by a few keystroke. AT&T can upgrade or turn on their IPDSL in a moments notice if it's in the COs already, Charter can drop prices and raise speeds. These companies have massive marketing teams and others that can ensure they still are on top and with these prices,they'll surely win out and this muni will be another that goes bankrupt.

Maybe I should offer to buy it for $1 and run it like Google did Provo.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 edit

ISurfTooMuch

They could, but they may or may not. While AT&T could increase speeds, they haven't done much of that in many markets, despite running a distant second to cable in terms of subs. Charter could lower prices, but they have to be careful, lest other nearby cities start asking why Opelika gets such a great deal, and they don't.

Plus, once all the fiber is laid, the city could use it for all sorts of other things, which means there would be no incentive to remove it, even if this venture failed. And that means that, even if this project folded, the construction costs are already accounted for, and the fiber is still there, so Charter and AT&T would be under pressure to retain their lower prices, since, if they immediately reverted to higher rates, the city could simply re-launch their network, or, more likely, wholesale the network out to another provider, such as Google.

EDIT: I should also mention that, at least in this part of the state, Charter is regarded as the crappy cable company you get when nothing else is available. The conversation goes something like,

"Who's your cable company?"
"Charter."
"Oh man, I'm sorry. Is that all you can get? You can't get Comcast?"
"No. I can get satellite, but I still need Internet, and there's no DSL where I live."
"OK, I understand."

Maybe they're better in Opelika, but, if they're like they are around here, people will jump ship if they can get something better.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

And you know they won't do such how??? All you are doing is assuming that AT&T and Charter won't compete. You must not know that those two will do what it takes to end a Muni project. AT&T is not worried about cable, but when this unlevels a playing field it's worth them stopping. And yes; using tax payer money does unlevel the playing field.

And the city using the Fiber network besides for communications is a fat chance. If they wanted to; they would have already had their traffic systems connected to a fiber network long before - as most cities. Please try again with another good excuse on why they need an FTTH network that is priced no better than AT&T nor Charter.

Also; I doubt that many people will drop Charter and move to the Muni. If that was the case- other Muni numbers would be better than they are now.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

I never said I knew anything. What i said is that is that there are reasons for not doing it. And I watched Comcast here go from a max of 8 Mbps down to up to 105 with DOCSIS 3, and AT&T didn't change a thing with their U-verse speeds or prices. And availability still looks like Swiss cheese. There are still areas right in the middle of the city where the best you can do is 1.5 Mbps DSL. Hell, I have U-verse, and, although I can upgrade to 45 Mbps, the only reason I know is because I logged into OLAM and found it available. No ads for it on TV, direct-mail, or e-mail. They're even doing a special on 24 Mbps, which I only found after logging in. Do they even have a marketing department?

I'd also like to know how the Death Star's onslaught against LUS and EPB is going. I'm willing to bet that they're offering the same speeds and prices in those cities as everywhere else.