share rss forum feed

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL
kudos:5

Potty training and sleeping questions for my puppy

Thanks for everyone's input so far with my puppy.

My puppy will not go potty in the back yard only when we take him for a walk.
Yesterday, i stood outside him him for 20 min and then as soon as I started the walk with him outside the yard he poops! I don't get it??? How can I get him to poop in the yard?

Also it seems like my puppy HATES his crate, he barks for about 20 min and sometimes he won't stop.. 95% of the time we won't give him any attention at all at night in his crate.. Yesterday it got so bad with his barking, i hate to take his crate and put in the family room down stairs and when i woke up in the am to him barking, i found that he pooped, he only pooped once in his crate 2 months ago. so i don't know why he did that?

Also he sometimes pee's on the floor, maybe 2-3 times a day however we take him out atleast once an hour to go pee.. any ideas/ input?

Thanks!
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
You'll get about a million different viewpoints so take it all with a grain of salt and do what works for you and your puppy.

The way I trained my dogs was to take them out to the same spot and when they eliminate, I give them lots of praise. When they were puppies, I'd put them on the leash and just walk them to where I wanted them to go, even though it was just in my back yard. They always go in the same place in the yard and they still do.

If you see your puppy going inside give them a firm "no" and take them out. If you see them doing the "pee dance" take them out and praise them for going outside.

Take the puppy out half an hour or so after he eats/drinks.

Be patient. There is going to be "accidents", but once they figure out what you want and what makes you happy, they will keep doing it.

As far as the crate thing goes - I'm not a fan. I know a lot of trainers recommend it, but it just feels wrong to me and I never saw the need for it.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SuperNet
Your dog is much to young to go all night without pooping and peeing, that's an issue with you not the dog

As to the crate, why do you use one at all? if your home the dog should be with you, not locked into a jail cell.

Overall, all your questions come down to "me me me" not your dog. You don't like he has to be walked, you don't like he barks when you lock him in the crate and ignore him, you don't like he likes your girl friend and shakes when is has to be near you ..

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Hoffman Estates, IL
said by guppy_fish:

Your dog is much to young to go all night without pooping and peeing, that's an issue with you not the dog

As to the crate, why do you use one at all? if your home the dog should be with you, not locked into a jail cell.

Overall, all your questions come down to "me me me" not your dog. You don't like he has to be walked, you don't like he barks when you lock him in the crate and ignore him, you don't like he likes your girl friend and shakes when is has to be near you ..

He has been fine all night for 7 hours without going potty in his crate.
When we are at home he is out of his crate. When we go go bed, or go out somewhere he is in his crate.

And his shakes are him doing hiccups the vet said.

Thanks for the input nerdburg .

--

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to SuperNet
As disgusting as it sounds, try putting his poo where you want him to go, ie, your yard. Scent is everything to a dog. Put the poo down, then walk him in that area. Might help. He's still young, and a small breed though, so don't expect miracles yet. Patience, patience, patience.

Crate. Hmmm....do you let him out of it when he barks? Sometimes? Occasionally? If you do, you are doomed for failure. He's already learned that barking gets results. The pooing in the crate could have just been a reaction to his stress. Other than that, it's hard to say why he is barking without seeing his exact living conditions and arrangements.

Peeing on the floor....he's a small breed, he has a small bladder. Notorious for being hard to potty train. Don't give him free run of the house, keep him contained, maybe in the kitchen. You must watch him like a hawk for the subtle signs of having to go. You might see a little circling...if you're lucky. You can also keep him leashed to you to watch him closely. Have you considered pee pads? I hate to say it, but going outside every hour just may not be enough for him yet.

Isn't this fun?
--
The Alien in the White House

21,735 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Hoffman Estates, IL
said by La Luna:

As disgusting as it sounds, try putting his poo where you want him to go, ie, your yard. Scent is everything to a dog. Put the poo down, then walk him in that area. Might help. He's still young, and a small breed though, so don't expect miracles yet. Patience, patience, patience.

Crate. Hmmm....do you let him out of it when he barks? Sometimes? Occasionally? If you do, you are doomed for failure. He's already learned that barking gets results. The pooing in the crate could have just been a reaction to his stress. Other than that, it's hard to say why he is barking without seeing his exact living conditions and arrangements.

Peeing on the floor....he's a small breed, he has a small bladder. Notorious for being hard to potty train. Don't give him free run of the house, keep him contained, maybe in the kitchen. You must watch him like a hawk for the subtle signs of having to go. You might see a little circling...if you're lucky. You can also keep him leashed to you to watch him closely. Have you considered pee pads? I hate to say it, but going outside every hour just may not be enough for him yet.

Isn't this fun?

My girl friend gave into him past 2 nights when he started barking at 2am and let him sleep in the bed.. I ignore him, is it too late to change?

We tried puppy pads and still have 80 of them however we noticed he went more in the house with them on the floor.

good tip on the poop, i will try that.
--

geh
Premium
join:2012-04-08
U.S.A.
reply to SuperNet
maybe he's associating the leash on walks with going potty. put him on the leash in the backyard and see if he does it there. If so, lots of praise!

How much room does he have in his crate? When crate training, at first, they should have enough to walk in and turn around and lay down. Any excess room, and they'll typically go to the bathroom in it.

»www.dogtrainingbasics.com/Crates ··· ates.htm

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Hoffman Estates, IL
said by geh:

maybe he's associating the leash on walks with going potty. put him on the leash in the backyard and see if he does it there. If so, lots of praise!

How much room does he have in his crate? When crate training, at first, they should have enough to walk in and turn around and lay down. Any excess room, and they'll typically go to the bathroom in it.

»www.dogtrainingbasics.com/Crates ··· ates.htm

Thanks, However he is always on the leash in the back yard or he eats everything .

His crate at 1st only had enough to lay down and turn around, we took that out 3 weeks ago, he has been fine only 1 accident since then.
--

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Hoffman Estates, IL
reply to SuperNet
I took my puppy to the vet. He has
He has Giarida

»m.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infec ··· ardiasis

Well I suck as an owner
--

Inspector

join:2000-09-27
Shrewsbury, MA
Hang in there...you be just fine! It's evident your very caring. (Hope your puppy feels better soon)

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops

join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

1 recommendation

reply to SuperNet
I second some of the things here...

-Move the poo where you want him to go and show him. Then reward him for 'going' there. We did that for our Schnauzer and it's great, 99% of the time he poos in the woods.
-We have crated ours from the moment we got him (2 months old) at night and when we go out. We made sure to put our kids tshirt in there for 'scent comfort'. Most of the time we're home though and he's out.
-When he was a pup, we did use baby gates and keep him to just a couple rooms in the house.
-Also, when he was a pup we would take him out almost hourly whether he looked like he had to go or not. He still had accidents in the house, but it wasn't a crazy amount.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to SuperNet
You don't suck, you're just inexperienced. Lots of dogs/puppies get giardia. Easily treatable.

Don't pressure him about pooing outside until that is cleared up, he can't help going when he goes. Also, make sure you clean up after him really well, so he doesn't reinfect and so other dogs don't pick it up.

Pee pads....you could also try soaking up a little of his pee onto a pee pad so he gets the scent and the idea of "go here!". Same principle as the poo. Don't put down too many pee pads, just one or two in one place. Easier for him to remember and not be confused by multiple pads all over.

Hopefully, he won't do what my dog did with them and shred them into a gazillion pieces. WHEEEEEEE!!!

He did get over that eventually.

You can also buy washable pee pads online if you'd rather use them instead of disposable. Some people also use the disposable bed pads made for people.
--
The Alien in the White House

21,735 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11