uniqs
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to DaMaGeINC

Premium Member

to DaMaGeINC

Re: [Parts Check] Thoughts on this system

The 430 psu has a 32A 12v(384 watts) which should be more than enough for a midrange card like the 7850. With a 100w cpu you should be looking at less than 300w needed on the 12v. If you want to scale it up go ahead but don't buy something cheap that says it has a lot more than 430 watts, as many of those won't provide more than 32A 12v. I would suggest, if you change the power supply, that you check back here about your choice before moving forward.

Asrock's reputation has done nothing but increase over recent years but if you prefer asus post back saying so and I will try to find you an asus alternative. It will probably increase your costs a bit.

I'm sure the poster would prefer some input from others about these questions(i.e. is the psu enough and is asrock acceptable).

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC

DaMaGeINC

Premium Member

Thanks for the input. Its been soo many years since Ive done a gaming build, im out of touch on whats the latest and greatest, and the do's and dont's.

When it comes to server hardware, well im good to go there.

I did a search on the Asrock mobo, seens solid, and for what I need, the board you recommended is what im going to get. The great thing about newegg, is if anything is DOA or dies a few months later, they have a great warranty program, so that's what Ill get too.

I would like to upgrade the memory to at least 6-8GB. This day and age, 4 is the min any new system should have.

Ill only have the 1 drive in the computer for now, later down the road ill add an SSD drive.

I read something about SSD caching or something or another... Would I be able to do that with this setup?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

SSD caching (Intel Smart Response) is an Intel-specific technology. I could be wrong, but I am not aware of an AMD version of the technology. SSD caching pairs a small (~32 GB) SSD with a mechanical HDD to speed up data access.

The good news is that it is superfluous and unneeded if you use an SSD as your primary boot drive, as marrying a smaller SSD to it would see negligible gains (if any).

For $68, you can get 8GB of DDR3 1866: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 866C10DC

I would also recommend the AMD 760K CPU for $10 more, you get a 400 mhz boost in clock speed (and is the newer Richland vs. older Trinity): »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· D%20760k
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to DaMaGeINC

Premium Member

to DaMaGeINC
You won't be caching with an amd setup but if you get an ssd you are better off just getting a reasonably sized 128GB ssd and using it as your main drive, rather than messing with caching with a smaller drive.

As krisnatharok said ram speed is more an issue with amd if you are using integrated graphics. As you are not I would not worry too much about the speed. I wouldn't spend for high speed ram. 1600 or 1866 should be fine.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I would strongly recommend going for 8GB vice 4GB--the difference in cost is negligible.

Ram prices change daily, but you can always get the lowest prices on pc parts picker (simply sort by whatever amount you need):

»pcpartpicker.com/parts/memory/

Today, the cheapest 8GB of DDR3 ram at 1600mhz or greater is Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 for $54 with free S/H at MacMall:

»pcpartpicker.com/part/ki ··· c9t3k28x