Premium Member
join:2012-11-08
N California

SCADAGeo to bushguy

Premium Member

to bushguy

Re: service provider as well as me are 100% stumped

said by bushguy :

This is a SIP account. We have tried the following... ports 5060 (default) , 5065 , 80 and 443. Ports 80 and 443 were completely blocked and would not allow the program to even register itself.

said by bushguy :

But all I have is softphone options (zoiper) currently on this computer and we will not head to civilization for another 6 months so I can't get any hardware solution here until then.
---
I failed with the callcentric softphone as well as ekiga softphone. I at least have zoiper p2p on this desktop and skype on the laptop working which allows us to stay in touch with family that also has zoiper or skype installed. I just need to make it work for land line phones. Net2phone works for now but it's only a matter of time before they shut it down. They only support up to windows XP and have no plans to update in the future. Thanks again. Have a good day.

CallCentric also supports port 10123 for registration.

What happens when ZoIPer is configured to use port 10123 with CallCentric, along with GSM codec (remove u-law for testing)?

bushguy
@96.63.23.x

bushguy

Anon

SCADAGeo... You brought up an interesting experiment. I spent a couple of hours on it. I opened up a callcentric account and set it up in zoiper. I compared the two accounts, callcentric and voipvoip by placing a test call to 1-408-647-4636 which is ulaw echo service. I ran through various configurations of individual codec as well as ports 5060 and 10123. Both accounts register just fine but even though the codec and port were the same each time between accounts, I got very different results.

voipvoip only allowed a connection with a-law and u-law and was one way conversation. I could hear the message and recorded my voice but playback was blips. All other codec gave me error message. Every combination with callcentric gave me a voice recording invalid number or not in service. So in other words, I would have a codec and port selected and then I would place a call from one account and then switch account and place the same call so I was making a fair comparison.

So I was unable to complete any call with callcentric regardless of codec or port. Thanks for the idea.
Iscream
Premium Member
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY

Iscream

Premium Member

I have to admit three facts you may want to take a note of:
1) in order to hear error messages from Callcentric - your internet connection must have an adequate available bandwidth and the codecs of your Zoiper SIP client and Callcentric's servers have matched - otherwise you'd not be able to hear anything or the voice would be severely distorted;

2) the error messages you received clearly spell that your SIP client (Zoiper) has sent WRONG numbers or at least - in a wrong format; for example - some digits could be missing, etc;

3) both #1 & #2 also clearly spell (to me) that [to some great extent] you don't have a NAT problem - otherwise you'd not hear anything.

You may try dialing Callcentric test number 1-777-1234567 (no dashes between numbers ) - if you get the same error message as above - then it's clear that your phone misdialed the number. Otherwise you'd be connected to Tell-Me information system which you may control by dialing DTMF tones (keys) and/or by voice.

You may also call into your own Voice Mail box (make sure you "purchased" one on your account - it's free) - VM is activated by dialing *123 or by dialing your own account's number. You'll be able to hear and follow prompts as well as record messages or greetings and listen to you recordings.

About Callcentric - whenever an account is set to troubleshooting mode - their system keeps recordings of all signalling passed between your device/soft-phone and their servers. Having a trouble-ticket open with their support would probably already have your issue on the way to be resolved. The support hours are 8:00AM till Midnight Easter time.

Oh, b/w - there is NO such thing as NAT problem when working with Callcentric network unless a customer has a special kind of SIP-hunting firewall or buggy SIP router-helper (some were encountered in past, but not any recent cases). No STUN configuration is needed either. On some rare occasions there are known cases of highly asymmetrical bandwidth provided to a customer by their ISP - it was quite sufficient even for G.711 codec on download (you hear voice undistorted) while upload bandwidth was very limited, below any acceptable limits (less than around 100Kbps which is required for normal U/a-law G.711 codec).

You're welcome to send a PM (you need to become registered to this forum) to me if/when you may want any escalation of your trouble-shooting. Somehow I believe that your issue is NO different than any other of millions already resolved for Callcentric customers.

bushguy
@96.63.23.x

bushguy

Anon

iscream... sorry, didn't realize your additional post. Good observations. We truly appreciate the offer to debug this and I will register and get you a pm at some point.

As far as callcentric. All I can tell you was that callcentric was one of the first attempts to find another voip provider. I'm hazy on details but within the last year, I signed up, downloaded a softphone from their site ( I think it was callcentrics own?) and tried test calls. It failed and I requested help from support. They made suggestions, made no mention of logfiles or what they thought was the problem and ultimately came back and said they couldn't help us.

Interesting insight on zoiper dialing the test number wrong for callcentric. I'm afraid I may have muddied the waters here. Here are the two numbers I was using. 7033763246 and 14086474636 Both are echo tests that allow me to record my voice. I have the phone number in memory and I have parameters set, go to voipvoip account, paste phone number, make call. Call either goes through or fails depending on codec and port. Then I select callcentric account, paste phone number and place call. If the call connected with voipvoip I would expect callcentric to make the connection too.
But in every case, callcentric connected and gave me the audio message "invalid or not in service (message 3002)"

This morning I used the phone number 17771234567 with port 10123 and made the connection to 411 information. I tried every codec available in zoiper and made the connection just fine. Audio was clear. However, the system could not hear me. Sorry I got this confusing. I assumed the audio echo tests were valid for any SIP based voip service. Obviously not although I don't know why. So anyways, I am able to connect properly to callcentric info line but one way.

Listening to that message from callcentric jars the memory cells. I do remember now talking to the system repeatedly to get weather and the nice lady saying "sorry, I didn't get that" I hope your day goes well.