All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
NewDSLTech
join:2013-01-30
Mays Landing, NJ

NewDSLTech

[Speed/Latency] Really getting tired of Verizon DSL.

I'm really starting to get tired of Verizon DSL. Every day or couple days, my connection will automatically gets "optimized" downward, despite having perfectly fine SNRs. If I catch it quick enough and reset the router, it'll stay at full speed, but it often happens when I'm out of the house, and if it stays like that for for more than a few hours, it's stuck like that until the wonderful tim_k helps to reset it back to 7840/864.

Not even sure what to do about this anymore.

Capnblinski
join:2006-06-30
ST5 1PN

Capnblinski

[Speed/Latency] Re: Really getting tired of Verizon DSL.

Crazy f'in verizon. Here in sw pa., I finally have a good signal this week like I always had had after 2 1/2 years of steady, but too-slow-for-the-second-decade of the twenty-first century. And then the debacle (or what vz thought was the solution) with the busy box gt784 modem last year; I gave up on talking to those fools. So, if my 'speed' stays like this I'll give vz one more chance.

»[Speed/Latency] Crazy Verizon DSL speeds
NewDSLTech
Mays Landing, NJ

NewDSLTech

Still at 7104/864, SNRs are way too good. Yay verizon.
Noobed
join:2012-04-05
Camarillo, CA

1 recommendation

Noobed to NewDSLTech

to NewDSLTech
Verizon might be throttling the dslam to spread the misery around.

if there's not enough bandwidth in the dslam, they'll put a speed cap on it. Your modem might be able to negotiate a 15mbit connection or something, but the dslam is set to limit it to 1.5 because there's not enough upstream to go around

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

tim_k to NewDSLTech

Premium Member

to NewDSLTech
Looks like the problem is on the up stream side. Margin right now is 7.5 and the graph shows it dropping as low as four.
NewDSLTech
Mays Landing, NJ

NewDSLTech

What sort of problem would that indicate? They've had dudes out here tinkering with the DSLAM a fair bit in the past few weeks, so I don't know what's up for us out here.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

tim_k to NewDSLTech

Premium Member

to NewDSLTech
I'll check into it on Monday.