spc
uniqs

tommyanon
@comcast.net

tommyanon to bushguy

Anon

to bushguy

Re: service provider as well as me are 100% stumped

have you tried to see if 'gmail calling' works?

if you do not have one setup a gmail account and on the left side of your email account will be an option to call phones(you have to install a plug in the first time) for incoming you would need a google voice account as well but not to test and make outgoing calls to US numbers.

if it works from gmail it should work from an obi device as well

bushguy
@96.63.23.x

bushguy

Anon

Tommyanon... I'm having trouble keeping up with all the various things I've tried the last year or so. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the suggested gmail calling would be the same as google talk? If so, I'm pretty certain I set up an an account and tried to make some calls. If memory serves me, it was a plugin or something with firefox that allowed a web based calling routine. Let me know if you had something else in mind. Bottom line is what ever web based service I used from Google, it did not work. Thanks for the thought though.

ps. I just checked the plugins on my laptop firefox and I see several google talk plugins and can confirm that service did not work.

tommyanon
@comcast.net

tommyanon

Anon

gtalk and gmail calling are the same service but accessed different ways.

i suspect the reason net2phone works for you is it is a very old service that was popular for use with dialup modems and therefore optimizes for such usage back in the mid 1990's. on thing that may help in your situation is to put a free PBXes account between you and your provider. you should be able to register your soft phone to the PBXes account using GSM CODEC and PBXes will trans code the audio into G711 for you. just be sure not to turn on the 'audio bypass' option which would defeat the point of using PBXes in the first place. otherwise you need to find a provider that support GSM CODEC for PSTN calls, i am not sure who does that if anyone.
gweidenh
join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX

gweidenh

To summarize what others have said:

Your upstream bandwidth is too low too support a G.711 call.
You will need to use a lower bandwidth codec in order to achieve two way audio.
A wireshark trace with net2phone would allow us to see which codec is being used.
As Tommy mentioned, as was going to be my next advise, you could set up a PBX account such that you use a lower bandwidth codec for your calls even if the end provider does not support said codec. This guide might be very helpful. »forum.xda-developers.com ··· =2057887
It is intended for and Android Cell phone over a 3G connection, but the principles are the same.

bushguy
@96.63.23.x

bushguy

Anon

gweidenh.. Last piece of the puzzle. Wireshark file for net2phone on windows xp laptop. That went well. Downloaded fine. I started wireshark and then opened net2phone. Then I duplicated the same call I did yesterday on the linux computer. It connected fine and then I spoke for about 15 seconds and then hung up and stopped wireshark.

I'll be very interested in what the difference is between net2phone and zoiper. Thank you.