Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[WIN8] Configuring updates when there were none?

I installed all the patches for Windows 8 Pro manually from Microsoft Download Center on Oct 9 except for Flash Player on IE10 which would not install. I had to turn on Windows Updates and install it from there. I rarely use Windows Updates and keep the service on Manual and allow no auto updating.

Just now, I decided to reboot to see if that fixed my dead screen saver. I got a message at shutdown saying Windows was configuring updates and to not turn off the computer. Then when it rebooted, I got the same message that updates were being configured. What was that about? I checked Windows Updates and there has been nothing installed since Oct 9 and checking the list of updates I've done manually again nothing since Oct 9. (I rebooted multiple times after installing patches on Oct 9 one time resulting in a 15 minute hang so this configuring updates message was not because I forgot to reboot after installing the patches).

So, what was being updated? It wasn't Windows Defender which can push an emergency update (and that's the reason I don't disable Windows Updates Service). So, how do I figure out what was configured and updated just now?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
Windows 8 mode:

Control Panel, Icon mode, Windows Update, to the left of the windows update dialog you should have a "view update hsitory"

Fullscreen 8 mode:

Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update. In the left pane, click View update history.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Yes, I checked View Update History. There was nothing since Oct 9.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
Well that is odd, I know you can see the raw log by doing

start, run, "windowsupdate.log"

Guide to the log file: »support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Had the machine been rebooted since oct 9?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Having not used WU on my XP Pro machine except when I was setting it up years ago, I didn't even think about a WU log on Windows 8Pro. Thanks for that and for the Microsoft article.

It was a headache to try to go through...so long and arrow keys on the keyboard don't work. Only the mouse works and no way to set the mouse to automatic scroll so my hand got really tired (you'd think that by Windows 8 Microsoft would have it so we could use the arrow keys and/or automatic scroll).

For a long time I had WU disabled in Services and would enable it rarely when I couldn't get a download patch from Microsoft download but recently I set it to Manual but to notify me if there are updates and NEVER to automatically install and NEVER even download updates automatically.

So, I am rather upset right now. I saw this in that log:

AutomaticUpdates Success Content Install Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. To install the updates, an administrator should log on to this computer and Windows will prompt with further instructions: - Amazon.com.Amazon - Microsoft.Camera - Microsoft.ZuneVideo - Microsoft.Bing - microsoft.windowsphotos - Microsoft.ZuneMusic - Microsoft.BingFinance - Microsoft.SkypeApp - Microsoft.BingSports - microsoft.microsoftskydrive - DellInc.DellShop - microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps - DellInc.DellGettingStartedwithWindows8 - Microsoft.BingTravel - Microsoft.BingWeather - AMZNMobileLLC.KindleforWindows8 - Microsoft.BingMaps - Microsoft.XboxLIVEGames - Microsoft.BingNews - Microsoft.Reader
2013-10-09 14:21:34:691 460 c4c Report REPORT EVENT: {92894591-9B1A-4998-8260-789FF9561A5D} 2013-10-09 14:21:30:210-1000 1 189 [AU_UNSCHEDULED_INSTALL_READY] 102 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 AutomaticUpdates Success Content Install Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. To install the updates, an administrator should log on to this computer and Windows will prompt with further instructions: - Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2886439)

That says all that crap I don't want and much of which I uninstalled right after I got this computer is DOWNLOADED AND WAITING TO BE INSTALLED. I never gave WU permission to download automatically crap that it wants to install! Sure enough, I checked Metro side and some of that garbage was installed. I didn't see any Bing stuff or Amazon. I found other apps that I uninstalled almost a year ago that had been reinstalled without my knowledge or permission! I HATE MICROSOFT AND THIS GARBAGE WINDOWS 8.

The Flash update that shows at the bottom of the log above is why I went to WU finally. I downloaded it from Microsoft download center and kept getting an error message saying it was not for my computer. It was....I doubled checked and downloaded from another browser too...same error so I had to start WU to get it and much of that other junk installed with it! UGH!

I saw several places in the log where I rebooted on Oct 8 and 9 to finish installing patches. After Oct 9, the log was just full of WU checking every day for updates (because I had the service on Manual not disabled). Of course, I have put WU service on DISABLED. I will not enable it ever again because it cannot be trusted to act as I have it set up. OUTRAGEOUS that Microsoft has WU setup to NOT honor the user's express settings for it. Plus, WU should not be in the Control Panel. It should still be on the Internet where it can be controlled better.

I did not reboot after Oct 9 until Oct 17.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson