spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

trumpet

@sbcglobal.net

[West] Should I ditch ATT DSL?

I have been using ATT DSL for 3 years now I believe. I have been tolerant with it, even after price increased from $35 to $48, because of stable internet.

Just few days ago I received my first warning on 150 GB bandwidth cap. I have known about this bandwidth cap before but I assumed I stayed under it each billing cycle. This warning made me rethink whether ATT DSL is a good investment or not.

I don't have U-verse available in my region, and the only viable alternative would be Comcast. I estimated it would cost me extra $15 should I switched to Comcast while staying under the same speed (6 Mbps). There is also the option of just pay the over usage fee as it comes along.

Thoughts?

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Switch. Now! Go. What are you still doing here!

Keep in mind, there's no going back. If you turn off that DSL connection, there's a near 100% chance you'll not be able to get it back. It's unlikely you'll ever want to go back, but fair warning.

Comcast will be (in general) faster, more stable, and no cap (or at least no overages.) [look around. I recall talk of an unwritten 250GB line-in-the-sand.]

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to trumpet
Are you possibly served by Sonic.net Fusion? The down side, if it is available to you is that you must get it bundled with voice service. The up side is that you will pay half as much as AT&T charges.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

trumpet

@sbcglobal.net
@cramer:
One reason I looked at Comcast is because of 250 GB bandwidth cap. Is it enforced at this moment?

@NormanS:
Nope, Sonic.net Fusion is not available for me either.

TO ALL:
Before I use ATT DSL i was using Comcast Internet bundled with TV. I didn't have good experience back then. Internet would drop periodically and tech was no good. Has any of this changed? Also i heard some people that if you don't have TV bundled you must pay extra $15, is this true? I don't need TV service (found out that OTA is more than enough for me).

Capt_Blato

join:2003-06-19
Stevensville, MI
Before jumping to cable, check around for a CLEC who offers DSL service in your area. That's what I did when ATT started this whole capping nonsense. I just ported my existing service to the new company without losing my current line.

Good luck!

trumpet

@sbcglobal.net
Do you mean like DSLExtreme or Sonic.net? Is there any more CLEC provider?

taco_hell

join:2001-09-16
Miami, FL
They are ATT resellers if i am not wrong

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
DSL Extreme, yes, and ordinary Sonic.net ADSL. But even so, they route over their own IP networks beyond the aggregation routers. I am reasonably certain this avoids the issue of caps.

Sonic.net Fusion is a wholly Sonic.net product which only requires use of the AT&T "Last Mile" copper between the CO and the premises. The telephone service, and the ADSL2+ service, are connected directly to Sonic.net gear in the CO.
--
Norman

tabernak

join:2013-08-10
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to trumpet
I'm surprised Comcast would cost $63/month for a service of 6 Mbps or less, I'd double check that information.

However, if that is indeed the case I'd just stick with ATT DSL based on your current situation, it should normally save you a few bucks. Since this is the first warning you've gotten about getting close to 150 GB, the overage is just $10/50 GB, which it sounds like you'd only hit occasionally and an extra 50 GB would probably be all you need, which would still be $5 less.

trumpet205

@sbcglobal.net
I don't trust DSLExtreme given all the negative reviews, and Sonic.net Fusion isn't available for me.

Right now I have both ATT landline and ATT DSL. By cutting DSL service loose I'll be paying $10 extra on my landline and extra $5 (slight price difference between Comcast and ATT + taxes).

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL
reply to trumpet
If I had Comcast as an option I wouldn't even need to think it over. What are you waiting on? Ditch AT&T! Outdated technology from a crap company!
Expand your moderator at work

Aihyah

join:2003-12-13
San Jose, CA
reply to Capt_Blato

Re: [West] Should I ditch ATT DSL?

said by Capt_Blato:

Before jumping to cable, check around for a CLEC who offers DSL service in your area. That's what I did when ATT started this whole capping nonsense. I just ported my existing service to the new company without losing my current line.

Good luck!

Ok, hope they serve san jose, because I got the cap warning today, and 150GB in todays age is a bit ridiculous:(

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Aihyah:

Ok, hope they serve san jose, because I got the cap warning today, and 150GB in todays age is a bit ridiculous ...

There are at least two in San José; DSL Extreme and Sonic.net. Both resell AT&T ADSL service without the caps. Sonic.net also has a homegrown ADSL2+ service called, "Fusion", served from select AT&T COs.
--
Norman