how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elbrack

join:2013-10-18

ATT U-Verse vs TW Cable?

Hi all,

I've done research into what U-Verse is, but it seems watered down by a lot of different information especially when it comes to location.

I called up ATT to check this out because FiOS was not available at my new house :-(
They said it was fiber...however they were going to need to install fiber line to my house.

Basically what I'm wondering is U-Verse going to be better or worse than Time Warner Cable for video conferencing and maybe some light gaming and fairly hefty downloading.

I live in Torrance, CA if that helps at all. I've just heard nothing good about Time Warner at all. I'm coming from using Cox Cable and I've been fairly happy with it most of the time I suppose. I had the 100mb/s down on Cox. Nothing like that here :-(

Anyways does anyone have any advice about this? I'm not sure what to go with. Although ATT wanted to do all this installation and wanted to do it on Halloween...that's kind of a long time from now in my eyes.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
Are you looking at Internet only or TV and phone, too? What services do you qualify for? The answer to your question is "it depends". With Uverse, the connection to your premises is almost always not fiber. Less than 1% of Uverse neighborhoods actually have FTTP. It is almost always copper from the CO, IRAD, or VRAD to your house.

So, assuming it is a copper connection to your location, the quality of the service all depends upon how far you are from the serving terminal and the quality of the copper you are connecting on. If you are more than 3000 feet you may not qualify for much in the way of speed. Also the further out you are, the greater the potential for line interference and signal degradation which can cause intermittent issues. If you happen to be close enough within 2200 feet or so of a VRAD and the copper is in decent shape, you should expect to get pretty good service.

Uverse has been rock solid for me on the 24Meg plan but I happen to be only 1323 feet from the VRAD. I also just upgraded to the new 45Meg Power tier this week and I have been averaging 46-47Meg down, even with multiple TVs watching live video streams.

Unfortunately, every customer's experience can be different depending on the circumstances. Your best bet is to post in the AT&T Direct forum and ask to get your line pre-qualified. You can actually get real info about your line capabilities from the Techs who participate in that forum. It may take them a day or two to respond, depending on how busy they are, but they will eventually get the info you need. If you post in there, follow the forum rules and do not reply to your post, until a tech responds to you or you will get lost in their queue.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

elbrack

join:2013-10-18
Yea, they told me I qualified for Power. I contacted TW Cable though and they gave me an option for essentially instant connection to the web. I don't want to wait til Halloween to be connected to the internet. If it really sucks at TWC I'll switch over maybe when I have time for them to come. Thanks for some of the explanation.

That's what I had been reading. A tossup.

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
ATT FTTP has been a tragic joke for many years. Wouldn't surprise me if studies show ATT FTTP depresses home values.

Still either just 18Mbps/1.5 or 24Mbps/3; emulating a too long crappy single twisted-pair copper line with asymmetry as if due to cross-talk.

Does deliver better latency.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to elbrack
said by elbrack:

I don't want to wait til Halloween to be connected to the internet.

It's probably a good sign that their installers are completely booked up solid that far out, but bad for customers who don't or can't plan more than 2 weeks in advance. When I moved last year to temp housing and then to our house we built, each time I called far enough in advance to schedule out the install. I had installation the day I moved in.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/